myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Notice of Race
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Greg, I have a new-ish 8.5 2011 3CAM KA Koncept sitting in Watertown, if you need a weapon for race day"

Thank you florian !!!

I think I'll be ok. As I said, MOST of me gear is from '92 to '94, which is true.
But, I will also bring a couple mid-2000's Sailworks sails - a 10.5 Retro (not a race sail, but it works ok for me)... and a 8.5 NX race sail.

Anyway I have lots of sails, with too much over-lap, so am now deciding which ones I want to drag with me for a 6200 mile round trip in 2 weeks.
It might be the two used Sailworks I bought in the last couple years.
The 10.5 and 8.5... and the rest will be sails I bought brand new from UP (Ultra Profile) and have taken very good care of - 7.0 and 6. and I could bring an assortment of many small sizes as well Smile
Gre -
pete1111

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feuser wrote:
Pete, i think your D2 is from 1988, not 78. Are you driving up there that Friday? I am thinking of car-pooling with "The Moderator(TM)"...

My Ultra cat is from 88, maybe not 78 but definitly early 80's.
Joe is thinking of going but he's not sure.
pete1111

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:
How many spins on a SUP in one minute?
I can spin....hopefully too much wind for SUP

Pete1111: Camp at my house....110 V.... Hot showers and coffee....can use tree house. Must like ducks.

Dan THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a plan, love ducks .
I pm'd you with my info.
Thanks Pete
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMPORTANT CHANGES: REGISTRATION AND EVENT INFORMATION

Great news first: USCG clearance!! Race around the Cleveland ledge Lighthouse will happen on Saturday given good conditions.

Registration rates are now reduced and split as follows:

Adults: $80 both days, $40 single day.

Juniors $40 both or each day.

Now some other changes:

The showing of "Children of the Wind" remains on schedule for Saturday evening after a change to eat dinner, and an event T-shirt is included for competitors. However, the lack of registrations forces us to amend our food and parking amenities.

Reflecting the new ticket price, all food will now be available only ala carte from the hotels several restaurants and bar.

Parking is available and free at the hotel for all who register online by this upcoming Sunday, May 19. Pay parking also may be available first come, first serve at the Town of Falmouth beach abutting the event property.

Last edited by DanWeiss on Wed May 15, 2013 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Race Staff... Dan and Eddie !!!
(The KISS principle, for the menu of options to register... I like it)

For me, the out-of-towner... what's "Insertion"?
I googled Buzzards Bay Insertion - and Insertion Island - and Insertion Lighthouse - but didn't easily find any info ???

And the updated info on
http://www.boardliving.com/events/eventDetail/114
is there now. It wasn't earlier, after seeing your new post today.

Thanks for ALL your hard work !!
Greg -
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, sorry...
For Dan and Eddie (maybe Eddie will know best about this)... I was wondering,
Two things having to do with gear and equipment storage.
* Will there be a secure (or semi-secure) area to leave boards and a rig or two out, over night?
My stuff's really old... but I still like it.
* And... can we get a "garden hose" in that area, to clean and rinse off bases, extensions, booms, wetsuits, booties, etc.

I'd just like to clean salt-water slime and sand off my gear, and dry it... before packing it back in my van, where it will sit for a week, before I get home Smile
I'm trying to avoid, having my nice AWD Grand Caravan, smell like a Maui rental car by the time I get home, LOL
Greg -
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my oversight on filling in the blank about the Cleveland Ledge Lighthouse. It's an old legal drafting trick to use a word that certainly wouldn't belong in the document as a placeholder for a global search. I just forgot I used it!

There will be a semi-secure area that's off the beaten patch. However, all the basic amenities were dependent on people actually registering! Overnight security was one of the things we were forced to eliminate because people simply are not committing.

Why? I'll just say that several of you have e-mailed me to indicate your plans but I'm aware of only two registrations. Waiting for people to turn up only if the weather is fair puts organizers in an impossible position. We can't pony up thousands of dollars in the mere hope that people will appear, so we were forced to ditch nearly all the amenities and cut the registration price to rock bottom.

Please, please e-mail me if you are coming or even giving it good thought. I have little information on which to make plans, and the event is in 10 days. You will be welcomed with enthusiasm and a smile.

gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Insertion Smile
Yeah, a "place saving word"... funny, that DID occur to me Smile
But, there are so many strange names of places around the country. I thought... Well, I don't want to offend the locals... there "could be" an island or lighthouse named about anything, right? Somebody's surname, or a nickname, or some regional name that'd only make sense to locals, LOL
So... that's why I asked... thanks Smile
Greg -
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding advanced sign-ups -
Yeah, it is understandable that people want to "know there's gonna be wind", before committing.
But... "That didn't used to be as easy" or reliable, as it is these days.
Years ago, you just went to the beach when it worked into your schedule... or to the organized race, when they planned it. And you sailed whatever the conditions were.
But now, we've been spoiled with digital, instant info, carried in our pockets... and better forecasts, and experience. And we've become specialized into having a favorite condition we want to sail, with gear for those conditions.
So now... people are hesitant to register early for a special event.
But the problem is... organizers can't run events that way. It takes a lot of work, planning, scheduling things to put together "even a medium sized" regional event.
I think people WANT to do windsurfing races, fun races, clinics, and social fun sailing sessions. And I think, even though windsurfing is a solo sport... "that MANY ARE VERY social"... and really enjoy a big event, sailing and hanging out with lots of other sailors. Not only is it fun, but everybody always learns new stuff, when you sail with people besides your normal group.

When I saw the Buzzards Bay NOR... and all the very positive responses... I thought, "this is gonna be big". I also figured that like usual, there are some, that will post on a forum... but there are usually MANY MORE that read stuff but don't post. So I thought, if that's the case here, this event will be pretty big!!

So, where is everybody?

If we want big (or medium) events, races, clinics, sponsors, team-riders or pros to show up and help... we have to commit and plan and go for it, and hope for the best.
With a big fun group... it can still be fun, even if it's not blowing 25, LOL
Bring an old longboard, borrow one... tell your old sailing buddies that don't go anymore but still have their old gear to show up.
Sailing by yourself in 10 mph winds might not be fun for you anymore. But racing in that light wind, with a bunch of others, making tight turns around several buoys with short reaches... is actually VERY FUN. And you learn sail and board handling skills, that help immensely in hi-wind situations.
(BTW - I'm not saying it'll be a 10 mph weekend. It probably will be WINDY... it's just that if we want big and fun events... we have to commit, and be ready to enjoy, whatever nature brings us Smile
Greg -
fasteddie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Shit ! Have you seen the new wind forecast for the Buzzards Bay Crossing in Falmouth Get the small sails out !!!!!! Idea Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: