myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Would this be a better board from beginners?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicosurf

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Would this be a better board from beginners? Reply with quote

I previously asked about a mistral pandera and got some pretty good feedback. I just found this other deal online. It comes with 1windsurfing board, which I found to be a starboard GO from 2002, 2 sails, 2 masts, 2 booms, 1 fin, 1 mast extender, and 1base. The man is selling all this together for 300$. Is it worth it?

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  284.76 KB
 Viewed:  16170 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  429.22 KB

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.23 KB

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  169.91 KB

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  332.8 KB

image.jpg

Last edited by Nicosurf on Tue May 21, 2013 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrchocky

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Would is be a better board from beginners? Reply with quote

Nicosurf wrote:
I previously asked about a mistral pandera and got some pretty good feedback. I just found this other deal online. It comes with 1windsurfing board, which I found to be a starboard GO from 2002, 2 sails, 2 masts, 2 booms, 1 fin, 1 mast extender, and 1base. The man is selling all this together for 300$. Is it worth it?

As long as that damage isn't too serious, that's probably a nice deal. The Go is highly rated. Not sure what size those sails are, you might want to get a smaller/crappy one to beat up for your first few weeks.

Check the volume of the board against your weight - see various calculators online.
rangerider

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a really good deal for all that stuff even if you exclude the board which still might be a bit small (though it is tough for me to tell). No centerboard. Those look like pretty good sails / masts / booms. You'd want to inspect them for condition obviously.
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the gear? If you don't want it, i'm interested.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, the board might be a little on the small side, and it's missing a daggerboard, but all the other equipment is well worth the price. I would buy it now before someone else gets it. You can always borrow or pick up a larger board to learn on.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screaming deal, specific beginner board, modern sails, those look like carbon booms? Comes with a big fin too.
It doesn't matter too much about minor damage to the board, my first waterlogged beginner board weighed 50 lbs.
if you are concerned about the condition of the board just weigh it on a bathroom scale, I would estimate that board should not weigh more than 35 lbs.
mrchocky

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
Screaming deal, specific beginner board, modern sails, those look like carbon booms? Comes with a big fin too.
It doesn't matter too much about minor damage to the board, my first waterlogged beginner board weighed 50 lbs.
if you are concerned about the condition of the board just weigh it on a bathroom scale, I would estimate that board should not weigh more than 35 lbs.

Luxury! I think my Mistral N-Trance must be 60lbs - not sure of the volume, but it's pretty big (incidentally, would be a great choice here); I have bruises on my shoulder from last time I carried it in its bag. Of course, my 113L RRD, you can just about carry with one hand on a foot strap.
mark

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell if that is the 140 or the 170 liter version but I have the 140 liter version and it is a great beginner board for smaller people. There is no dagger board but the optional side fins work very well in helping keep the board upwind. See the following link for details http://2002.star-board.com/products/goacc.asp

The whole 2002 Starboard catalog can be found at http://2002.star-board.com

There was a set of side fins several weeks ago for sale on Eebay for $30. If you get the board I would check all of the Starboard dealers to see if there is still a set available. There are 3 inserts in the middle of each rail where they attach. The screws are the same diameter as the foot strap screws but they are slightly shorter. Just make sure that you don't use screws that are deeper than the hole depth. You don't want to create a leak into the core of the board.

The side fins look a bit weird but they really do work. To balance the board with the side fins installed move the mast base all of the way forward. You could also shape your own out of a piece of 3/8 inch plywood. They don't have to be foiled, just some extra surface area to prevent the board from going sideways. After a few sessions you can most probably take them off.

Overall that is a really good deal for $300.

Last edited by mark on Wed May 22, 2013 12:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
adywind

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deal is great, don't loose it.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masts alone are worth more than $500, used. booms, about the same. sails look a little trashed, but that's another 5-6 bills in their current condition. boards a beginner only, but the rest makes it a through away when it's time to advance. GRAB IT!
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: