myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
the big lie "the media is liberal"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 275, 276, 277  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 2 years if you had the name "Patriot or Tea Party"....

"It was particularly helpful for liberal groups to have the word “Obama” in their names. It was even more helpful to be run by the President’s half-brother, as in the case of the “Barack H. Obama Foundation,” which soared through the approval process in just one month… "
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being curious, I Googled the Barack H. Obama Foundation. I wasn't too surprised to find out that Bard sort of misrepresented the picture, but that's par for the course for Republicans.

"The Barack H. Obama Foundation was founded by Abon'go Malik Obama, first born son of Barack H. Obama of Nyan'goma Kogelo village, Alego, Siaya, Kenya. The foundation is entirely the idea of Abon'go Malik Obama, in memory of their father, and is not dependent on the endorsement of his brother, President Barack Obama.

The Barack H. Obama Foundation is committed to a wide array of development and humanitarian projects which will help mitigate social-shortcomings in areas of education and literacy, health and well-being, poverty, and lack of community infrastructure in such basic needs such as water, electricity, shelter and sustenance. It was the vision of Barack H. Obama, that efforts be made around the globe to address the needs of those most in need."
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Obama's brother. He speaks his mind. I was only showing that it's all in a name. If the Tea Parties had named themselves "Obama Patriots" they'd have received immediate authorization.

PS Chandler, you can name yourself anything, state your mission is feeding children, then hold rallies with inner city youth promoting Hitler if you wish. Because......you can justify anything if you try. Rolling Eyes
feuser

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:

"It was particularly helpful for liberal groups to have the word “Obama” in their names. It was even more helpful to be run by the President’s half-brother, as in the case of the “Barack H. Obama Foundation,” which soared through the approval process in just one month… "

Because "Patriot" or "Tea Party" are inherently indicators of a partisan agenda and the law does not allow a Tax Exemption for that.

Why is that so hard to understand?

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feuser wrote:
stevenbard wrote:

Because "Patriot" or "Tea Party" are inherently indicators of a partisan agenda and the law does not allow a Tax Exemption for that.

Why is that so hard to understand?

You are out of your mind. Even your great leader understands the dangers in this mindset. Patriot is partisan? Only if you are a traitor..
techno900

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you claim to be in an application for tax exemption doesn't mean that you will stick to that agenda.

I don't recall which news station made the statement, but they said that although the guidelines for a 501 c 4 exemption are very specific, there has been little to no enforcement for those that were granted the exemption. So once granted the exemption, partisan politics are fine until someone begins to investigate what is really going on within the exempt organizations (both right and left). So far, just do as you wish.
mac

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Bard and Techno--do you really believe that it is ok for front groups for Democrats and Republicans to be tax exempt as social welfare organizations?
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we've all heard that "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel".

Yet, I think that the Founders could be considered true patriots, but the one thing that we do know is that they differed widely in their opinions. But, if considering today's tea party "patriots", I don't think that they tolerate much difference of opinion, hence the word "partisan". You know, "partisan patriots".
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
So Bard and Techno--do you really believe that it is ok for front groups for Democrats and Republicans to be tax exempt as social welfare organizations?

I agree with you Mac, however as you know I'd like a flat tax across the board with a national sales tax. Close the IRS, and streamline accounting. A national sales tax would cut deep into a Ferrari purchase.

This would have to cut both ways though, and include unions, corporations, and bundling of campaign funds. If Soros or Koch want to spend their AFTER TAX dollars, that's fine.

Chandler, have you ever seen a Beck rally? Patriots all, and mostly virgins until the age of 25. These people are not your enemies.
mac

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Obama wimped out on this. He should have said, "Congress requires the IRS to evaluate each 501(c)(4) organization to make sure that they meet the requirements of the code. I have directed the IRS to give equal scrutiny to any organization that has a significant amount of partisan activity. I would welcome an initiative by Congress to eliminate the 501(c)(4) provisions so that political organizations cannot pretend that they are social organizations."

It may not be politic, but that's what he should have said.

Here is the statutory language, 26 USC Section 501(c)(4):

Quote:
An organization described in subsection (c) ... (a) shall be exempt from taxation under this subtitle... (4)

(A) Civic leagues or organizations not organized for profit but operated exclusively for the promotion of social welfare, or local associations of employees, the membership of which is limited to the employees of a designated person or persons in a particular municipality, and the net earnings of which are devoted exclusively to charitable, educational, or recreational purposes.

Tell me how Crossroads, which made it through IRS scrutiny, operates exclusively for the promotion of social welfare?

Obama has been a major disappointment on campaign reform--but let's not pretend that Bush did not investigate black churches under this section, or that it should be allowed, in any circumstances, for lobbying or partisan politics. Please, that's taking my money to pay for something I may not agree with politically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 77 of 277

Jump to: