myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness line length, is 22 in. too short?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgda

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Harness line length, is 22 in. too short? Reply with quote

Ok,

I am 6'4, and I assume length of arm and height matter here, and boom height. For me, I always set my booms at the top of the sleeve opening.

I have been sailing with 22 in. lines for awhile. However, I am thinking maybe too short after reading several posts, i.e., longer lines force you to actually use your harness rather than your arms.

Thoughts here?

Thanks,
m
wsmike

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I like shorter lines because they fit my riding style, which is upright on the board rather than leaned way out over the water. Also, in high winds I like having the sail closer to me, makes transitions easier and I have more arm length available to make big adjustments in the gusty winds of the gorge.

I used to have long lines, I switched to 20"'s because I didn't like the feel of having my sail so far away. So part is boiled down to personal preference.

The other part is mechanical, if you have your lines set close together then you need shorter lines to give you the same distance from the boom as longer lines set further apart. Lines set further apart = more stability, closer together = quicker/more adjustment.

That's my buck three eighty-five.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorter lines make you use your arms, while longer lines you can use your arms more, and often do.
While 22" is short for someone your size, maybe you have adopted the JasonVoss slalom stance, over the AntoineAlbeu long line stance.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best answer is to buy a new or used pair of adjustable lines and play around. I find that conditions dictate line length as much as anything else. On 3.7 days a longer line takes up some of the force of the gust similar to a soft luft sleeve making it less likely to get tossed. Conversely, on a 5.3 day I want and need to lean back to get some speed and planing happening more quickly. Your stance and base position also have to come into play because it is all about the geometry, hence the reason to buy an adjustable before converting to a single length. Also consider what someone wrote earlier - the single-loop lines will give you a much truer length whereas the two-loop lines can be made much shorter with a wider placement on the boom. If you fall into the wider category, you will not be getting the full length of the line when compared to a single-loop style.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 22"s, and I'm 6'3", but I also like being more vertical. If I were a slalom guy, I'd probably ride 26"s and a seat harness.

-Craig
loosescrew

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am under 5'5 and use 22's. I like to have the mobility to maneauver in the harness and you can only do that with longer lines. I see too many sailors with short lines all scrunched up and think how uncomfortable they are with the sail kind of on top of them instead of arms stretched out, etc. etc. If you are in any kind of swell - the long lines will help tremendously. You're tall so you could easily go to 26-28. Ask Matt Pritchard - he is gold on performance and recommendations. I'll bet he is riding with 28-30's.
gorgesurfshop

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you check out Matt Pritchard's blog at www.pritchardwindsurfing.com he has a blog entry on harness line length.
wmike

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loosescrew wrote:
Ask Matt Pritchard - he is gold on performance and recommendations. I'll bet he is riding with 28-30's.

Right on. I am 5'9" and Matt recommends 26" for me but I like 24" better. I have the lines 4 to 5 inches apart. I use them both in the Maui waves and in the gorge. Makes it much easier to slog and get in and out of them in the waves both for riding and jumping. You take a lesson from Matt and he wants you away from the boom, not eating it.
jgda

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies....I will be heading over to Maui soon (and why didn't I go today in the gorge-?--stevenson was pretty steady compared to the hatch), so I will play around a bit.

I recall using longer lines (eons ago) and feeling like I was using my arms too much, but it may have been me not committing enough.

I consider myself a pretty good sailor, so it will be interesting to experiment a bit.

cheers,
m
techno900

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny no one has mentioned seat or waist harness. Waist - the hook is higher = shorter lines. Seat - the hook is lower = longer lines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: