myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Planing 101 question.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkingman

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONE! Sign on the dotted line, sir!

I'm about 100 yards south of the tip of Brace Point which is the southern point of land that defines Fauntleroy Cove. We're in a small rental beach cottage amongst really expensive houses. We look directly west at the north end of Vashon Island. It's kinda perfect. Let me know when you'd like to swing by. There would be food involved, of course. ~Steve

gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I know just where that is... SWEET !!

And if you can make it... tomorrow night Des Moines, for the City League series opener !!
Details on nw-windtalk (or, I can tell ya) anyway, I'll be there, but won't sail. I'll help with race committee though. And then, I'm gone for the next few weeks.
Greg -
adywind

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sincere apologies for the poorly chosen comparissons! I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I should have known better how touchy people get about theyr beloved toys and be more sensitive. My only point was that to be able to progress on a short board you need to practice on such and I regret getting emotional for nobody getting it. How about a jocke now?
Can you remind me please was it "Sleepless in Seattle" or "Windless in Seattle"? Wink)) It's all good!!!
walkingman

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. No offense taken here, Adywind! Much as I love my Cat, I'm itching to ride the Rocket. I watched a killer session go by from the beach that was blowing 20-25 & gusting to 30 last Tuesday. Realistically, I gotta get a couple more training days in, planing and waterstarting before I go out in bigger winds on the short board. The place where I sail is right on a shipping lane and next to a busy ferry crossing, so I really have to pay attention and plan ahead.

Nothing would make me happier than to be at the point where I'm blasting along on a short board, flashing shaka while hanging in the harness from a perfectly balanced handkerchief of a sail, ready to dive into a perfectly executed carve jibe. Ahhhhhhhh.... Priceless!

Okay, I watch too many YouTube vids...

gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, adywind... no offense taken here either Smile
Was just giving you another perspective, about what works best in lighter (under 12 mph) winds, or shifty light to strong winds, places with current... especially for a newer sailor... and more so, for a sailor who is sailing in a shipping lane for a major port... AND next to a ferry terminal with big vehicle ferries, coming and going every hour. (Of course, normally a newer windsurfer would never sail in that kinda location. But Steve just happens to live on the beach there, so WOW, very convenient. And he's right, that area will get a little bit more wind, than the near by Lake.)

AND YES... I know you already know all this. And Steve hadn't laid out every detail in his question, so there's no way anybody would understand his sailing location, except those of us here that sail in the same place.
So, yeah, no reason to apologize... no worries Smile

And your point here -
"My only point was that to be able to progress on a short board you need to practice on such."
Absolutely... yeah, very good. But it's safer for him to do that practicing in Lk. Washington (the most popular place in the greater Seattle area for windsurfing). And... it's only a 25 min drive for him to sail there... in a safe place with no current... or big ship traffic.

And yes... your funny joke is CORRECT... usually it's "Windless in Seattle" LOL
(We canceled the last 3 Wed evening races due to <5 mph conditions, not far from Steve's beach.)
Of course, if you can catch them, we do get some storms that blow through. Like the one he mentioned from a few days ago.
And Steve, THAT would've been a great time for you to practice on the Rocket in the Lake... there were lots of white-caps there all afternoon.

Look forward to meeting up this summer,
Greg Smile
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do it like this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AXtueb0rgzM

-Craig

walkingman wrote:
Lol. Nothing would make me happier than to be at the point where I'm blasting along on a short board, flashing shaka while hanging in the harness from a perfectly balanced handkerchief of a sail, ready to dive into a perfectly executed carve jibe. Ahhhhhhhh.... Priceless!

Okay, I watch too many YouTube vids...
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, just like that Smile

Nice one Craig... well done !!!

Steve, that'll just take you MANY Gorge trips (same as it's taken everybody Smile

And... you can get a bit more practice when it's gets WINDY in Seattle, over here at Newcastle Beach park. Any time it's blowin' 20+... you'll find guys there. And even by yourself, it's by far the safest place to practice shortboard stuff around our area.
Anyway... for your safety...I think you're gonna want WAY more experience, before you launch off your backyard, out into the Sound (especially with so much ship, tugboat and ferry traffic, you have at that location.
Greg -
walkingman

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it! Thanks for the inspiration Craig. I love the slo mo effect when you get air. Do you remember how much wind you had that day?

Thanks for the reality check Greg. I just picked up a soft rack for my car, so I can make it to the lake. Do you watch any reliable forecasts?

Steve

gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Thanks for the reality check Greg. I just picked up a soft rack for my car, so I can make it to the lake. Do you watch any reliable forecasts?"

Reliable??? LOL Smile

Our area (maybe lots of areas) is very tough for forecasting wind. The weather (wind) normally comes from the Pacific. And with the Olympics Mts just to our west and the Cascades just to the east, those things do wacky things to the wind. There are giant shadows... and there are places where the breeze gets amplified by the venturi effect (like what happens in the Gorge). It all depends on the specific direction the weather is hitting the Olympics AND how fast it's traveling.
Or - It's thermal wind... other times, it comes from other directions... etc.
So anyway, it's tough.
Resources? Tv/radio weather forecasts... NOAA... iWindsurf... windalert... WindOnTheWater.com... mm5 forecasting maps... the tree tops on the hill above my house... experience... luck...
And oh yeah... if you haven't yet... do sign up to NW-windtalk (just google it). It's free and easy. And you get lots of weather advice, meet all the local sailors, get lots of local weather info... find out about events (or where people are sailing). There are only a few of us on iW, but all the locals are on windtalk.
Would be much more local, specific and helpful info for what you're looking for.

See ya this summer,
Greg -
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't "remember", but that's my 4.7 and my ~65 ltr HiTech (mostly),
and I weigh about 180 lbs, so it was probably 22-27 and pretty steady.
Not a howler by any means, but plenty fun. I'll be expecting to see you
out there ripping it up sometime late this season, after you get some
practice. All you need for those conditions is a reliable waterstart
(and an appropriate wetsuit).

-Craig

walkingman wrote:
That's it! Thanks for the inspiration Craig. I love the slo mo effect when you get air. Do you remember how much wind you had that day?

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: