myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing, Oahu, Kauai, Maui shallow water spots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
victor wrote:
one can easily get off a plane, rent a vehicle, pick up gear and get a session in within a couple hours.

And, if someone else can return your car and gear for ya, get in line at the airport with your board shorts still wet from your last session.

Another time, on Oahu, somebody else returned the gear, but we needed the car to get to the military base to catch a last-minute flight opening. Phoned the car company, told 'em the keys were under the floor mat, ignored their shouting, asked them "Do you want your car back or not?", and flew away.

Gotta milk short trips to the max. The limited beach-starting depths plus a lesson plus the heavy chop will have you waterstarting in no time. Kick a reef just once, and if the ensuing staph infection doesn't end your vacation, you won't even think about kicking around and uphauling again.

Last trip to Maui, we sailed til 4:00 PM. Returned our gear, got on a red-eye still salty from the ocean. Got in to S.F. at 5:00 AM, drove home, hit the sack at around 9:00 with no luck getting to sleep. So I hopped in the car and drove to Tomales for a 4.0 all day session.

Steve
dllee

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anini is where they teach beginner wanna be windsurfers on Kaui. Safe enough for beginners.
An "intermediate" to me is someone who can waterstart but not quite jibe, who has sailed many places with a shortboard, but is not the standout at any spot ever.
On Oahu, there is a perfect inside the reef, sand bottom freestyle practice area just 4 blocks from the old Intercontinental Hotel at Kahala. It's waist deep, no rocks or reef all the way to the outside reef, sandy shore, but is maybe 50 yards of windsurfing. I've logged over 60 days there, when I'm too lazy to head to DH or Brownies.
chophop

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If in Maui, try the Maui Sunset in Kiehe. Not sure what you mean by "shallow water", unless you want to sail like they do down in Aruba, in a shallow lagoon. I no of no venue like that in Hawaii.
The Sunset is not like that. But there are some shallows there but be very careful at low tide at the Maui Sunset because there are submerged coral heads to hit with your fin. Also wear some foot protection because there is a coral bottom.
tomg

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tip for Maui and other tropical spots, is when off the board manouvering the board and rig around for a waterstart, etc, be sure to keep your legs up as much as possible. Eventhough your legs may be hanging down in deeper water - say six feet, you may drift into what's called a "brain coral" - shins first - which rise from the bottom a good three feet (ouch).

And though the locals will look at you like your some kind of
mainland bumkin (which you are) wear some booties. Standing on the reef is always a bad idea but you may end up on it anyway. Those local folk have grown thick caluses that are lacking on the average tourist.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard offers a pretty good quick summary of things.

If you're going to Kauai, there are no rentals available for current design equipment. Anini Beach is great for learning, but only as long as you go out about half way to the reef. After that, the water is very shallow and loaded with tons of urchins. However, I learned there on a trip in 1985, so it's possible.

If you're looking for a bit more of challenge, look to the Y Camp just before getting to Haena (Tunnels Reef). It probably offers the most friendly launch off a sandy beach, especially since it doesn't have a barrier type reef situation. There are some dry reef spots in the water, so you need to have some decent skill to be able to move about safely.

I have surfed the Northshore of Oahu, but I have no experience windsurfing there, so I can't offer anything useful. Really, Maui is the premier spot offering arguably the best windsurfing experience in the world. So, if windsurfing is the focal point of your vacation, I would spend the majority of your time on Maui.

However, if you want to go hiking, Kauai is unquestionably top flight in every way, particularly on the Napali Coast or from many spots off the top of the Waimea Canyon. If surfing is high on the list, both Oahu and Kauai offer world class breaks if a swell is running on either the North or South shores.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonaire.
Shallow water (chest deep), tropical, steady warm strong breeze.
BirdIsland or SPID in the sound.
sanbeli

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooow thank you so much! I've never expected that many replies! you guys helped me a lot! I guess I was too jetlagged or whatever..-of course I ment flat water instead of shallow water.. sorry for the confusions!Wink regarding my windsurf skills: In total I had around 5weeks of windsurf vacations so far, I can tack, do some chop hops in choppy water and jibe (not in full speed planing tho..!) and of course waterstarts. this summer I wanna learn how to airjibe..
I think I'll definitely try Kailua and Kanaha and maybe a beginner wave spot..... thank youuu!!!Smile
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanaha has good waves, I wouldn't call it a beginner wave spot, though
you can definitely get beginner waves there.

-Craig

sanbeli wrote:
wooow thank you so much! I've never expected that many replies! you guys helped me a lot! I guess I was too jetlagged or whatever..-of course I ment flat water instead of shallow water.. sorry for the confusions!Wink regarding my windsurf skills: In total I had around 5weeks of windsurf vacations so far, I can tack, do some chop hops in choppy water and jibe (not in full speed planing tho..!) and of course waterstarts. this summer I wanna learn how to airjibe..
I think I'll definitely try Kailua and Kanaha and maybe a beginner wave spot..... thank youuu!!!Smile
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jump jibe is the easiest old school trick ever.
Was doing it in 1984, just before the duck jibes.
Sail upwind lightly powered with backfoot out of strap and on leeward side of the board. Spot a chop, jump it hard pushing down with the backfoot and releasing the front foot. Board flies 180, you land feet together in slog position, clew first, butt hits water, you water start clew first and flip the sail.
MauiMakani

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that we have a better picture of your skill level, here is some reinforcing thoughts on what has already been said.
Since you will probably not be able to rent any performance gear on Kauai, your options are pretty limited. If you really wanted a water fix, you could consider going down to Anini on the north shore, renting a beginner board, and going out and doing some light wind freestyle inside the small lagoon. I taught there for a few years, and it is a great way to have fun and develop your sail handling skills in a spectacularly beautiful setting.
Kailua on Oahu is a beautiful spot to sail, but winds are usually very moderate (10-17) so plan on big sails 6.5 to 8.0 if you want to plane. As mentioned earlier, Kahala on the south shore usually has slightly more wind (5.0 to 6.0 sails) and really fits the flat water area you were describing. If there is a south swell running (pretty good chance during the summer), and you can get someone to show you the channel through the reef, there can be some great intermediate wavesailing outside the reef just upwind of the channel.
Kanaha on Maui is really what you are looking for (I sail there 100+ days every year); sheltered by the outside reef, and 4.0 to 5.0 sails 90% of the summer days. There will not be much down-the-line wave riding during the summer (Kanaha takes a north swell which means winter), but you will find plenty of wind-swell waves to play in at "Uppers", with usually some waist to head high shifty peaks.
Someone also mentioned Maui Sunset (which is where I live). A few thoughts; The wind is only reliable here if it is slightly more north than usual. If it is light and onshore on the north shore, MS is a good call. If the wind is more easterly, MS will be a nightmare of shifty gusty wind. Check the tides. I usually think of +1 foot as being the minimum to sail there. Even then you would be very wise to ask a local about where the reefs are the shallowest. As mentioned, booties are a good idea since there is shallow reef extending well over 100 ft out, and I have seen dozens of reef cut feet limping around.
Hope you have a great trip!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: