myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing, Oahu, Kauai, Maui shallow water spots
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanbeli

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: windsurfing, Oahu, Kauai, Maui shallow water spots Reply with quote

Heeey!

I'm an intermediate wind surfer with no wave experience and on my way to Oahu, Kauai and Maui. I was wandering if there is anybody who knows some good shallow water spots or beginner wave spots (and cheap rental possibilities)?Smile
would be superhappy to get some tipps!!Smile
csorens

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Kailua Beach Reply with quote

On Oahu I would go to Kailua Beach Park. The only rental place that I know of for renting is Kailua Sailboards & Kayaks. They weren't cheap, but they had good equipment and they had it rigged in a trailer right at the park, making equipment changes easy.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anini Beach on Kaui, a little pond surrounded by almost dry reef.
None on Maui.
csorens

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Bummer! Reply with quote

Oh well. Looks like they discontinued Windsurfing rentals at KSK! Not sure where you can rent stuff now. Crying or Very sad
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally there are reefs on all those islands. Oahu and Maui are the only places you can sail, unless you bring your own gear. I sailed for a month on Kauai. (tunnels and poipu) Very cool place to sail, but mostly advanced. OTOH Maui has any kind of sailing you wish to do. From Kihei and Kanaha to Jaws. Tons of gear over there. Oahu also has gear, lighter winds, and great beaches.

You don't want shallow in hawaii because the reef will cut you.
jse

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Anini Beach on Kaui, a little pond surrounded by almost dry reef.
None on Maui.

My experience at Anini Beach is that it's shallow but reefs are everywhere. I would think that would be a problem for a beginner for two reasons: Damage to you falling on reefs, and damage to the reef from you standing on them - which is a common thing to do as a beginner. I.e., standing in shallow water working on beach starts, resting after falling, etc... It is surrounded by a dry reef, making the water very calm, but I would only snorkel there, I would never consider windsurfing there. Of course I was at the very end of the road, maybe further towards the highway, there are sandy spots.

Steve
victor

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanaha beach park on maui has a safe and relatively mellow area inside where they give windsurf lessons. not waste deep or anything but the worst that could happen is you will get pushed into the kite area.

one of the nicest parks you'll find anywhere. you could literally walk there from the airport if your really had to. plenty of gear rental shops on the way

one can easily get off a plane, rent a vehicle, pick up gear and get a session in within a couple hours.
carl

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bummer! Reply with quote

sorenson wrote:
Oh well. Looks like they discontinued Windsurfing rentals at KSK! Not sure where you can rent stuff now. Crying or Very sad

Naish still rents at Kailua on Oahu call 808-262-6068

There's lots of ws rental places on Maui (including Naish), just do a google search. Kanaha Beach park is a good place for intermediates
and you can get lessons there with HST.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
one can easily get off a plane, rent a vehicle, pick up gear and get a session in within a couple hours.

And, if someone else can return your car and gear for ya, get in line at the airport with your board shorts still wet from your last session.

Another time, on Oahu, somebody else returned the gear, but we needed the car to get to the military base to catch a last-minute flight opening. Phoned the car company, told 'em the keys were under the floor mat, ignored their shouting, asked them "Do you want your car back or not?", and flew away.

Gotta milk short trips to the max. The limited beach-starting depths plus a lesson plus the heavy chop will have you waterstarting in no time. Kick a reef just once, and if the ensuing staph infection doesn't end your vacation, you won't even think about kicking around and uphauling again.
geohaye

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Kick a reef just once, and if the ensuing staph infection doesn't end your vacation, you won't even think about kicking around and uphauling again.

Good perspective. Yes, those reef cuts definitely helped "kick-start" my waterstarting skills back in the day. Just one of Maui's many secrets as to why it's been so good at pushing so many of us beyond the beginner/early-intermediate stage. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: