myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...the victims were all members of a windsurfing web site that had a political forum. More at six.
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will that stick around this time windoggie? Wink
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted it the first time because it freaked me out when I re-read it. But now....what the heck.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that having better than 1200 miles distance between me and the crazy character from the Great Northwest give me some peace of mind. Also, the fact that he has said he will never return to California certainly helps to some degree.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More anti-gun nuts reasoning, and from the city with the strictest gun laws, combined with the largest murder rate due to guns, no less.
BTW, I agree with Burke, not displaying items that may be deemed non-PC is a lame attempt at changing or filtering history.
Museums are meant to show history, all history.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ban on Displaying Guns at City Museums Should be Lifted, Ald. Burke Says
By Kyla Gardner and Quinn Ford on May 8, 2013 12:13pm

CHICAGO — The city's most powerful alderman — Edward Burke (14th) — introduced an ordinance at Wednesday's City Council meeting that would allow Chicago museums to display unloaded firearms for historical purposes.

Currently, city museums are prohibited from lawfully displaying firearms of historic value, according to the city's long-standing gun ordinance.

Burke said Wednesday he recently learned of the "anomaly in the city code."

"Museums are caught in a dilemma that if they have in their collections artifacts that can be defined as firearms, even though there's historical significance to the memento, they can't be registered in the city and can't be displayed," Burke said.

Burke cited the example of Major General William P. Levine, one of the very first American soldiers to liberate the Dachau concentration camp during World War II.

Levine's family donated a German Walther PP he acquired during the war to the Pritzker Military Library following Levine's death in March, but the library is unable to display the gun under the current ordinance.

A history expert himself, Burke said allowing museums to display firearms like Levine's is a reasonable exemption to the city's ordinance, especially given museums across the country are free to do so.

"I think in Chicago, museums should have the same opportunity to display articles of historical significance even if they are firearms," he said.

Kenneth Clarke, CEO and President of the Pritzker Military Library, said the current policy leaves Chicago citizens missing out on a lot of history.

"It's about preserving the stories of citizen soldiers from World War II, World War I ... who have served our country," he said.

Clarke said the current city code is unclear if historic guns can even be stored in the museum's archives, so the library has moved its collection to a fire-proof safe at a gun range in the Chicago suburbs.

The library doesn't have the ability to store many firearms at that location, so it has had to turn away people who have wanted to donate their artifacts, Clarke said.

"The reality is there are a lot of historic firearms sitting across the city in closets and attics that nobody knows what to do with. ... Who knows where they end up," he said. "If the city were to have this kind of ordinance, libraries and museums could be places where those firearms go and are taken off the streets and properly secured."

The Pritzker Military Library has extensive security on its premises, just like any museum, Clarke said.

"They are stored in conditions that are likely to be preserved for the long haul," he said. "You’re talking about something that is not very accessible."

And even if someone were to get their hands on a historic gun, it's unlikely they'd be able to fire it.

"I don’t know if someone's going to find ammo for a German handgun from World War II all that readily," Clarke said, referring to the Levine's pistol Burke highlighted Wednesday.

Chicago has a well-known gun problem. Historic handguns aren't a part of it, he said.

"There are so many firearms available on the black market in Chicago, it's not likely these are going to be high on the list," he said. "These aren't the guns they want."

Burke's ordinance would allow museums to display "curios and relics" — historical firearms registered by the U.S. Department of Justice — if the council approves it.

The Field Museum, one of the the city's largest, has a historic gun collection in its archives but has never considered displaying it, said museum spokeswoman Nancy O'Shea.

"They're just artifacts in our collection," O'Shea said. "They can be accessed and studied [by] researchers who would find them interesting."

O'Shea did not have immediate information available on what era the guns are from. Clarke said any guns from before 1898 are allowed for archives and display in the city.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130508/downtown/ban-on-displaying-guns-at-city-museums-should-be-lifted-ald-burke-says
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NRA allows dumb laws like that to stand because their masters make no money from historic guns.
Background checks are a no no because there is a lot of money in selling guns to criminals and wackos.
And children.
That 5 year old who shot his little sister had a gun made esp. for little children. It comes in mini sizes and bright colors including rainbow.
It was kept leaning in a corner with the rest of his toys.
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:

It was kept leaning in a corner with the rest of his toys.

Regardless of the tragedy his parents have experienced, they should go to jail for at a minimum child endangerment (last time I checked stupidity is not a jailable crime).
mac

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting profile of Hickenlooper (Colorado governor) in the May 13 New Yorker. A few facts for those who have chosen to live their lives outside of the Glen Beck-inspired bubble:

on background checks: "We found over twenty-five hundred violent velons, either convicted or accused, trying to buy guns,"..."So to me there's no argument about that not working."

On magazine limits: "Thirty to forty per cent of the police officers killed in the line of duty were killed with high-capacity magazines,"

The facts, though interesting, were not found to affect Republican voting patterns.
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re pubs and some Democrats really have no choice but to vote against background checks even though 80% of their constituencies support them.
The NRA money is too good to ignore.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it goes beyond just the campaign money. If you don't toe the line on the NRA's position on things, they will actively attempt to destroy you and any chances for you have for election or re-election. It's more about control and influence, and let's not forget, profit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 99 of 331

Jump to: