myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Air vent screw on JP epoxy board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluefishz1

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Air vent screw on JP epoxy board Reply with quote

Do I really need to loosen on hot days if the board is in the Sun either on a car or beach? Never want to forget to close it, and would prefer never touching. At what temperature may it be a concern if at all? Thanks!
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is controversial topic. Many of my mates do not ever open their vent plug and claim they have never had a problem so why change. Last season I stopped loosening mine and low and behold I pulled a board out this season and it had deck soft spots. Never had a board go soft before.

Cant prove much when n=1, but I am going back to opening them.

Eva writes about vent plugs at the bottom of this page

http://www.boardlady.com/maintenance.htm
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I draw a line with arrow either side to side across the screw, to visually remind me to tighten. I remove entirely for transport between coasts, airplanes, and Doctor Who's phonebox.
Some store the screw in the mast base if able. Once you have a established routine you should not forget to tighten.
ref the temp::
if on the roof in a bag or similar I would at least untighten

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
adywind

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry to much if the board have never took water in, like after a nose damage during a session . Just make sure the rubber ring is good and not leaking .
loonie2

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tie a ribbon on a footstrap when you loosen the vent screw to remind you.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have/had two current and two previous Starboard boards (Isonic and Formula). I normally never open the plugs and have never had a problem. I did change out O rings once/twice and opened to test for leaking dings in the deck.

The boards are always kept in a white van parked outside in temperatures ranging from 110 to 10 degrees F.

You will have more issues forgetting to close the plugs. I tried that in the early days and gave up on it when it dawned on me while on the water that I didn't tighten up the plug on a few occasions.

Last edited by techno900 on Wed May 15, 2013 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
capetonian

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past I ruined 2 boards because I'd forget to tighten the vent after loosening it. So I recommend putting your vent plug in your base plate and closing the catch if you use a Chinook base plate, or taking some tape and taping over the mast track if you use a single bolt twist on. I'm kind of forgetful so I have to do something really obvious that prevents me connecting the sail to the board.
motogon

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never loosen vent plug, never had any problem. Keeping my boards in my truck year around.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need is a relative term. If your board is past its warranty than you don’t “need” to. If your board is under warranty than you only would have “needed” to if it delaminates while under warranty. Many people leave them in with no problems. I always take mine out & put them in a bag with the fin screws. This is one instance where there is no right or wrong answer. To each their own.

Coachg
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went 20+years without owning a board that had a vent screw. In the last 4-5 years I've gotten boards with vent screws. I've just made it part of the rigging routine. "Screwdriver Mode", vent screw and fin screw. Maybe it helps that I don't leave my fins in anymore like I used to. I do notice, especially on my Open Oceans, after a session when I unscrew it, I hear the whoosh of the pressure releasing so it does make a difference. Brian at Open Ocean told me to test it to get a feel for it since you don't want to over tighten it and distort the O ring or you lose the the seal. On a sunny day, tighten it and put it out in the sun for 20-30 minutes then unscrew it and you should definitely hear the pressure release. If however, you forget to tighten it, the hot board from the ride in/on the vehicle will act like a vacuum when it hits the cold water and actually suck water in so don't forget!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: