myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How many died last year in the US while kiting ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty...I agree that any of these sports get riskier as you push the envelope. That said, I think one has to let a bit of the ego go with kiting and realize that there is no shame in pulling that safety. I was kiting last week when a sudden frontal wave of wind hit in South Padre Island. The wind went from 20 to over 40 in seconds. I immediately pulled the safety and swam/walked in. Several minor injuries from those that weren't so quick!

Always think about a bailout plan!
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

absolutely , when in doubt bail out. I still use my safety (landing line with Cabrinha kites) all the time to self land. Very safe and easy way to land, and great muscle memory for hitting your safety.

I have seen good kiters go into the parking lot with their kites at 12 oclock, and switch boards from their vehicles. DUMB!!!!
KevinDo

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going to lie, this walking on water kiting thing was pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvT1xaVkZ7M
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:

I believe most of the people that get hurt fall into a few categories, untrained beginners on bad equipment in a bad location, or experts pushing the envelope with mega jumps and dangerous winds.

Direct On-shore Winds > Impact > Death

On Tuesday, November 12, 2003 at approximately 3:30 pm,

Alex Caviglia the President of Adventure Sports was injured in a serious kiteboarding accident. The incident occurred at Matheson Hammock Park in a suburb of Miami. Matheson Hammock is one of the most popular locations for kiteboarding in Miami. The conditions at the time of the incident were ranging between 21-34 MPH and gusty. The wind was from the NNE and directly onshore. The incident occurred within seconds after the launch of his kite. The launch area is confined and approximately 35 meters in length and 2 to-5 meters in width (from the water to the parking lot). Due to the onshore conditions and the narrow width of the launch site, Alex was limited to being only 4 to 5 feet from the shore (knee deep in water) prior to his launch. His kite was also either over the land or just 2-3 feet off the shoreline. An experienced kiteboarder assisted in the launching of Alex’s kite and had released the kite after Alex had signaled him to do so. The launch was clean and free from fouls or twists. Alex proceeded to raise the kite to approximately the 3:00 position (about 12 to18 feet above the water and very low). Just after the launch, the gusty conditions caused the kite to drift slightly back (down wind and over the shoreline), approximately 8 to10 feet from its original position which was far forward and out of the power zone. The kite quickly and sharply accelerated, causing Alex to lurch forward, out of control. Given the extremely narrow span of the launch region, Alex had literally a fraction of a second before colliding with the shoreline. Two witnesses (both kitesurfers) indicated that Alex had neither the time, nor the opportunity to activate his safety release system and that his hands never left the bar. Fortunately, two of the witnesses on the beach (one a kiter) were fire fighters and certified paramedics. The first assistance by one of the witnessing paramedics reached Alex within 15 seconds of the time of the accident. The quick acting paramedics were able to contact emergency services within seconds and directly request that the Trauma center launch a rescue helicopter immediately. Alex was airlifted to Jackson Memorial Trauma center in Miami where he remains.

Alex’s current condition is critical, but stable. He has suffered serious head injuries, but doctors have performed procedures that have gone as planned and without incident. He is reported to also have other serious, but less threatening injuries. These injuries are yet to be determined. Doctors at Jackson Memorial hospital have indicated that more information on the severity of Alex’s injuries will come during the next 48 hours. Alex is an accomplished sailor, windsurfer, and kitesurfer. He has over 40 years of experience in all types of sea and water conditions. He has windsurfed for over 20 years and has 3 years of kiteboarding experience in a variety of conditions. He is 47 years of age and in very good physical condition. We are all keeping hope and staying optimistic for Alex’s quick and full recovery. The support from industry colleagues, friends, and well wishers are sure to provide inspiration to Alex’s family in this difficult time. All of Alex’s family, friends, and co-workers thank you for keeping Alex in your prayers.

Update: Alex passed away after being in a coma for many months.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me wonder why people even bother kiting at Cabrillo Beach considering how gusty it is there
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why they would kite fractions of a second upwind of rocks sans helmet.
adywind

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of the bad rep about kiteboarding comes from a small but highly visible and asserting itself crowd of aggressive , reckless adrenalin junkies seen among surfers as well. I've seen them trampling over the nesting places for migratory birds in a closed natural habitat section of a local lake just because the shallow water there is much warmer. Finally one of them got caught and ticketed. And once I got sprayed on purpose while waterstarting just because I was faster then this kiter guy no matter how hard he tried /somebody please explain them that we can be pretty fast on the right gear/.For some reason I don't feel sorry when witnessing kites being impaled on parking lot lamps anymore .
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The postscript to the thread:

http://danewsblog.blogspot.com/2013/05/life-and-death-on-internet-my-media.html
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yesterday i went to OKA and was forced to end my session due to gusty stronger winds and i warned a fellow windsurfer that today was to be even "worse" {depending on your perspective , equipment and skills}

all day today i was following forums and warning people - almost like i had a feeling - then just before going to bed and last check to see how the day went, i saw the sad news ....

a kiter died at OKA parc today
http://www.kiteforum.ca/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7491

and since this is 2013 - someone filmed revival attempts !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ETew8mcBck

another SAD DAY @#$%^& Sad
mat-ty

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks big time!!! Rest in peace.
Saturday the forecast here in Boston was calling for low twenties with gust to forty and thunderstorms rolling through all day. I choose to windsurf instead of kiting ,not wanting to deal with the unpredictable conditions. I had a great time blasting around wih my new Naish Indy sail.
It's really nice to have the option of windsurfing when the conditions are nasty. Maybe some kiters will recognize that windsurfing can be just as thrilling in high wind, and a hell of a lot safer!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: