myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jibing Duck Jibe and Carve360 Clinic w/ Wyatt SAT 5/11 Stik

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Jibing Duck Jibe and Carve360 Clinic w/ Wyatt SAT 5/11 Stik Reply with quote

The Bay Area season is raring to go, but let's not get stuck in last years bad habits. Its time to learn something NEW....or at least where to start something new so you have the whole season to dial it in....Duck Jibe,
1-Handed Lay Down Jibe (easier than 2 handed)......Carve 360???

I will be throwing a Jibe, Trick Jibe and Carve 360 clinic at Candlestick...or a nearby windy location depending on conditions.

We will do a bunch of land work to get down the basics and then move out on the water, where I will anchor myself so you can rip those laydowns all around me or crash in the process and get some helpful pointers.

$75 includes lunch and after sailing beverages.

We will meet at the stick Saturday May 11th at 11:00 and rip until we can't hold on anymore...or the wind backs off.

If you have never tried a 1 handed carve 360, you are missing out. They require far less commitment than a 2 handed carve 360 and can be nailed long before you are 100% on your jibes.

And if you separate the Duck from the Jibe in a Duck Jibe you will save countless wipeouts.

Email me if you are interested in attending.

wyattmiller525@gmail.com

For last minute sign ups shoot me at a call at 510-375-1934 to make sure we are not full up.

JIBE CLINIC.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  452.29 KB
 Viewed:  15300 Time(s)

JIBE CLINIC.jpg

wyattmiller

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realized Sunday is Mothers Day thus the switch to Saturday the 11th
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 Front Foot Pressure: You should initiate your jibe by putting all the pressure you can muster into your front foot strap and onto the ball of your front foot. Front foot pressure should be the constant throughout your jibe while back foot pressure should be used to dictate the radius of your jibe.

#2 Look under the boom: at the water downwind of the nose of our board. This will keep you crouched down with your knees and arms bent. If you stand up straight you will kill STEP #1.

#3 Make sure it is in your mental checklist to slide your front hand all the way forward on the boom (towards the mast) just before you get ready to flip the sail. This will ensure the sail is able to flip cleanly.

#4Click your heels together, when switching your feet, making sure to cross the centerline of the board as you bring your old front foot back. Crossing the center line with your old front foot cause you to weight the inside (turning) rail and keep the board turning in the right direction. Make sure your new front foot goes all the way up to the mast base to help distribute your weight.

#5 Actively Flip the Sail: This is the most frequently forgotten step. To ensure the sail flips quickly and efficiently when you want it to flip. And to ensure it lands in front of you after the flip (not behind you, that is bad),YOU MUST!: Actively flip the sail by sweeping your front hand from one shoulder in the direction of your other shoulder across your chest. (Practice this with a sail on the beach.)
bobby25

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am am interested in the clinic, never sailed Candlestick though, mostly a Crissy sailor.

If the forecast is not looking good for Candlestick where are you likely to move it??
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candlestick is really good for the jibe clinic because it is flat and there is pretty much no current so we will try for there.

If the forecast is no good we will be looking to move to either Coyote or Crissy.
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forecast is looking foot for candlestick tomorrow.

We are on.

Still space available
alextarg

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the clinic with Wyatt and would sign up for it again in a heartbeat.

He is a professional windsurfing teacher in addition to being an expert at tricks, and he knows how to simplify the moves to make them happen if you cannot do it yet.

He is obviously not in it for the money ($75 was a huge bargain), and he sat out there on his board giving advice about how to fix my not so good attempts to step jibe and laydown jibe.

Thanks Wyatt! Very Happy
segler

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great clinic! Lots of on-land exercises first, then putting things into practice --

Wyatt's a great educator: went out of his way to give everybody detailed feedback and help fix specific issues from increased front-foot pressure to better sail handling.

Highly recommend this clinic no matter your level.
Looking forward to Wyatt's loop clinic later in the summer!

-fl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: