myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 415, 416, 417 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Retirement Reply with quote

Hi Bert,

I am 63 going on 64, so about your age.

Interesting that you do your sites in round robin fashion. I check the wind reports and forecasts and tide level projections to choose the optimum for what kind of sailing I wish to do that given day. Also taking into consideration any soreness I may be experiencing from the day before.....'Surprised'

Windward1
NickB

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alameda wednesday, 5:30-6:30p.
steady force 5 bft from due west, choppy with a few big rollers.
lots of kites but stayed upwind by crab cove out of their way, doing a few fast short reaches along the beach, clocking 26.9mph on one reach woohoo...
7.0/135ltr@150lb was too much in the 25mph gusts though, especially with that chop. I chickened out and chose to stop before getting hurt.
I really need to invest in a 5.8/115ltr setup for this kind of days, but they're fairly rare in alameda.
koogzah

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick was pretty sick. 3.7. Force 8 gusts. Smoke on the water. Minimal landfill funk.
rpaillon

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Tomales Tuesday and Wednesday Reply with quote

Tuesday was probably not worth the drive to Tomales. I left home when the sensor was showing 22. I used a 5.0 and a big board to get through the holes. It wasn't bad, just not spectacular. I was the only one there

Now Wednesday was good! I started on a 4.5 and went down to a 4.0. Ted showed up after I had come in on my 4.5. He took one run on a 4.5 and then rigged down to a 4.2.
windward1

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Santa Cruz Coast Reply with quote

Windsurfed the Santa Cruz coast today from New Brighton to Pleasure Point and back. This on my Angulo Gu’d 10’10” and a 6.5 Ezzy Freeride sail.
Launched in about five knots of wind and started tacking up the coast. Nothing happening at Bombora so I continued tacking up to Capitola surf break at the jetty. No surfers out at Capitola amazingly enough. I caught a few nice waves there and then continued tacking up the coast, Sailed out to see a sailboat going by that was going downwind wing ‘n wing. Looked like about 26 feet with a cabin and a few folk aboard.

Sailed on to Privates and tried a few waves there. Got only a couple. The wind was up and down and if it did not match up with the wave coming in, I could not even pump it into a catch. So tacked further up the coast. Going by The Hook required a series of short tacks as to stay outside of the surfers and inside of the kelp sometimes meant tacking again after only twenty yards.

Sailed in the area off of 38th Avenue for a little bit and liked that the wind was stronger and steadier. Probably around 10 to 14 knots. Then tacked on up to Third Peak and played on some waves there. Tacked up to the outside of First Peak and found the wind blowing 20+ knots. Footstraps would have been nice to have pop out of the board at that point. Catching waves was easy and I would catch and ride on the outside of the surfers and sometimes take the wave all of the way in to shallow water, turning before it broke. This was good. I liked this. Then to have just a little less wind I stayed at Second Peak and played on the waves there. The wind was in the 4 to 14 knot range. 4 near the shore and 14 out by the kelp which is the take off point. Perfect set up for the gear I was on. I played on the waves for a good while. Stoked.

I did need to sail back to New Brighton and knew the wind was likely to die. So when I saw the O’Neill catamaran sail by outside the kelp headed for Capitola, I scooted through a pathway through the kelp just off of O’Neill’s house and was having fun riding the wind swell straight down wind. I was gaining on the cat when the wind started dying. By this time, the O’Neill catamaran was off of Capitola and they had almost no wind. I was mostly sliding down the wind swell and using what little wind was left. The cat came about and dropped its sails. I sailed by her as she started her engines and headed back towards Santa Cruz.

Then, a few minutes later the wind died completely. I was about a half mile off of the Capitola main beach and still about a mile and a half from New Brighton. So I waited for the wind to come up from whatever direction it would. By and by the wind came up from the south, but barely enough to put dimples on the glassy surface of the water. I used that and the little bit of wind swell that was still coming in to push me towards New Brighton. The wind would come up to a knot or two and then back off. It switched to coming from the east-southeast. I then had to tack in this very light wind to continue eastward. It came up to about three knots just before I made it all of the way back. But make it back, I did.

What a Great Day!

Got home and saw that it had been blowing 30 mph at Natural Bridges. I sailed there yesterday in those conditions, but with my smallest sail being a 4.7 I was way overpowered. Two windsurfers had just come in when I was rigging and one said he was also on a 4.7 and that he was over 200 lbs and that I needed to rig a smaller sail. He was right, but I go with what got. It was fun, but I was being blown all over the place and I did not last long. Another guy was headed out on a 4.7 as I was leaving. He was handling it.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed Berkeley on Thursday 5/16 on 4.2/85. I can't remember a time when I sailed Berkeley on a 4.2 and didn't regret it, but no regrets on this day!
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berkeley Friday. Maxed out on a 4.6 loving life.
windward1

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges Reply with quote

Heard no complaints about there not being enough wind today at Natural Bridges. I had my 4.7 downhauled as tight as I could get it.

Check the wind graph on iwindsurf.
bert

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Stick Reply with quote

Thought it was going to be good at the Stick and rigged 4.7/80L at my usual post time ( 1:30 ). Wind dropped about 5mph once I hit the water and with the westerly cant, it became a plane and slogfest session. Will do Oyster mañana and hope for better winds.
nicolas72

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Berkeley... what the ? Reply with quote

Best Berkeley session ever. I cant believe the wind graph I'm staring at. Am I counting 7+ hrs of solid and steady wind ? 2h1/2 were enough for me.

windoggie wrote:
Berkeley Friday. Maxed out on a 4.6 loving life.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 415, 416, 417 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 416 of 427

Jump to: