myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What old board does this go to?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmarriott

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: What old board does this go to? Reply with quote

Hey Guys - Larson's Ski & Sport in Denver is sorting through decades of windsurfing parts in preparation for having them for sale on our website. Does anyone know what board this mast foot came with? It has been updates somewhere along the way to have a modern us cup - so it will fit a modern extension. I know there are some old gear experts out here who can help us out!

lssparts.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  570.21 KB
 Viewed:  21687 Time(s)

lssparts.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know for sure, but looks like something a WindsurferOneDesign would recieve.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the one that came factory original, with my 1981 Alpha Professional... that I bought brand new. But I can't say with absolute certainty... pretty sure though.
Most all the Alpha's came with that mast-foot in the early 80's... and yes, it's nice someone updated it to take a new basecup.

The boards came with 2 separate, distinct mast-foot "wells"... one in front of the other. You could put that fitting down into either "well"... and you could insert it ether north-south or south north. I mean... you see how the uni-joint is above on end of the mast foot. Well, the mast foot went down into the well and clicked into place... putting it in there, either direction.
So therefore, with 1 well... being able to put in it either direction... you then had 2 positions for the uni-joint. If I recall, my Alpha Professional had 2 of those wells... giving me 4 positions to put the rig. It wasn't an on-the-fly adjustable mast-track. But you could sit out in the water, take it out, and then click it back into another position.

If you look down at it from the top view... there is a plastic tab you can rotate to tighten/loosen the tension on the spring. This adjusts if or how tight, the mast foot will pull out of the board.
Back then, many mastbases simply pushed down into all the various "wells" that companies used. And the friction was the only thing keeping them from pulling out when you uphauled the sail. But this was a big improvement because there was a steel rod or pin that ran across the well, down inside it. And when you inserted this mastfoot the rod/pin was engaged by that slot and movable latch you see. Therefore you had a secure connection and the mast didn't pull out when you uphauled.
The reason they gave you that tab to turn, to adjust the spring tension, was so that you could make that latch release from the rod/pin with varying amount of pressure. And this was VERY NICE if you fell, dropping the rig and having the mast come down crushing your foot/ankle between the mast and the board. In other words, they were giving you the ability to adjust how much pressure it would take to pull the base up and out of the board.
In normal use, there's another tab, that you just push that easily moves the latch, whenever you want to remove the rig from the board.

Anyway, I think other brands also used this mastbase, or designed their own which looked very similar to this one.
Greg Smile
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vaguely recall that mast base in an O'Brien Sensation, or Electric Banana, circa 1984

-Craig
nw30

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope on the O'Brian Sensation, I had one of those about 100 years ago, and that ain't it, but I couldn't tell what the hell it is.
It does have the shape of a one design though, but I don't remember all that interior razzamataz, then again I never owned one or even sailed one, but I do remember that insert profile.

Maybe, after looking at an old add for that board you might be right, like I said, it was about 100 years ago. Confused
Couldn't find any better pics, and I don't have any either, I only owned that thing about 2 or 3 months.
Looks like it had two universal slots in front of the dagger slot.

obrien-windsurfing-boards-19861.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.42 KB
 Viewed:  21573 Time(s)

obrien-windsurfing-boards-19861.jpg

obrien-windsurfing-board-1984.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.1 KB
 Viewed:  21573 Time(s)

obrien-windsurfing-board-1984.jpg

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I might be wrong too, like you said, that was about a 100 years ago!
It sorta looks right in the add, but it's hard to tell.

-Craig

nw30 wrote:
Maybe, after looking at an old add for that board you might be right, like I said, it was about 100 years ago. Confused
Couldn't find any better pics, and I don't have any either, I only owned that thing about 2 or 3 months.
Looks like it had two universal slots in front of the dagger slot.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nahhhh... it wasn't "about 100 years ago"... it was only 30 years ago, LOL

And I'm sticking by my earlier post Smile
I bought my Alpha Profesional in '81 and sailed it quite a bit, till I bought all new gear (lots of it) in '87. Lots of experiences with it all over the NW for 6 years.

And the two mast foot wells I described for my Alpha look very similar to the Obrien Sensation pictured. I never owned a Sesation, but did sail them.
Anyway, somewhere during those years, there was a connection between Alpha and Obrien. One of them bought (or partnered with) the other. They did share some components. So yes, that mast-foot in question might fit a couple different board models from the early 80's.
By the late 80's nobody used this mast-foot.

It would be easy to know if a certain board would take that Alpha mast-foot. The "well" in the board would be about 4" - 5" long and about 1" wide, and with vertical walls (not tapered like some finbox wells).
AND it would have the steel pin / rod that I described earlier running through the well. You can see where in the well the rod would be, by looking at the mast foot picture, at the slot with the white plastic latch in it.

Notice the slot/latch is in the middle of the mast-foot. That is so you can inset it, in either direction. Giving you two different locations for the Uni-joint, since the U-J is not in the middle where the slot is, but is at one end.
Greg -
kmarriott

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are the best! Now we have a chance of getting one of these in the hands of someone who might be able to use it (or two of them actually, since we have 2). Thanks for the help!
Karen
combinatorial

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of these on an Alpha 230A, my first board.
xander.arch

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool memories to see that O'brien ad- thanks for posting. I had that 9'6" columbia concave. It was my first shortboard and I outgrew it very quickly. I remember struggling to get that thing going. The quad concave 9' naish custom that I replaced it with really hit the sweet spot helping my sailing get to the next level. Back then it wasn't about the number of fins, but rather about the number of concaves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: