myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Better place to reitre: La Ventana or Maui
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui

-Craig
sdreier

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say it - "summer in the gorge, winter in either Maui/Baja". What could be finer?!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great advice above, however Maui wins hands down. !st question, why do you want to own a property? You can rent a nice house in Kuau for $1500. Upcountry for less. Great wind, lifegaurds will shuttle you in on big days, Costco, seafood, better looking women, luau's, and no drug violence.

If you buy a home on Maui (some are affordable), you will get clean title and always be able to sell it.

Island fever will set in unless you can go totally Aloha! But Mexico can be unforgiving and unsanitary for someone over 55. BTW, I've seen many people lose title to their homes in Mexico, so beware. PS, my wife is from Mexico, and she won't go there any more.
Jaipal

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rpaillon,

Yeah Vietnam was awesome! One of the consistently windiest places on Earth. It is fully accessible now and easy to rent gear.

I went there in December 1998 and took a trip out to a beach area about 200 km NE of Saigon. It was blowing 30 knots. I asked some fishermen how often it was like that. They said "every day during the dry season and then the wind switches to come from the other direction for the rainy season." It made total sense given that there are miles and miles of sand dunes. Of course only one thing makes dunes like that. Wind!

I made a number of trips back to VN over the next couple of years and eventually moved there full time in 2001. At first I settled in Mui Ne which is a huge windsurfing and kiting destination now. It is bump and jump 3.7 to 5.0 from November to April and 5.0 to 6.0 from May to October. Back then there were a couple of guys on the water and we had to fly our own gear in. Now the place is packed.

I had a Ford Ranger and went exploring up and down the coast. I found a beach called Suoi Nuoc which raised the bar to another level. It takes the full brunt of the NE monsoon. 30 to 40 knots and fetch that is hundreds of miles long. The result is mast-high short period wind swell that is simultaneously exhilarating and demanding. It is port-tack and very on-shore. Like Ocean Beach in SF but the wind is coming from the other direction. Absolutely loved the place. Sailed there by myself day after day until my body just couldn't take it anymore. The is only so much mast-high nine-second bone-crunching wave-fun that you can take!

I eventually moved to Mui Ke Ga which was in the middle of nowhere. There I found a beach very similar to Suoi Nuoc for the dry season and, except for the lightening, an awesome point-break and starboard-tack beach for the rainy season. Absolutely loved place too but that is where the boredom eventually set in.

By late 2005 I had enough and came back to the States. I am so glad I lived and sailed in VN when I did. It is still great these days and much less isolated. I highly recommend making a trip there - and turning it into an extended stay if possible. If you went from December to February you would get tons of days in for sure. Like everywhere there are some doldrums but when it's not blowing - time to enjoy the fact that you are in VN.

Anyway, here are a few links.

http://www.windsurf-vietnam.com

http://www.fullmoon-village.com/index.php/en/jibes-suoi-nuoc

http://www.vietnam-beauty.com/top-destinations/destination-in-the-south/24-destination-in-the-south/279-travelling-to-mui-ke-ga-unforgettable-experience-.html

Also, I was by myself so much that I only have a few dozen action photos from back in the day. But this is one says it all. That is a an 800 ft sand dune in the background!

Cheers,

-J

DSCN2036.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  346.94 KB
 Viewed:  15753 Time(s)

DSCN2036.JPG

MrFish

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Baja full time, and I love it-but I would be bored in LV in the summer no doubt. If I was older and retiring, and maybe if I liked fishing it might be perfect.

It depends on what you want.

There's a lot of things to do and explore here in Baja, plus a language to learn and more, so living here can be just a starting place for traveling around the east cape.

The health care situation is fine - well it is in La Paz anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Year around on Maui or at La Ventana would be too much. Friends that move to Maui come back. I wouldn't want either island fever or Baja summer heat. I can't see how I could improve on summers in the bay area and winters at LV.

Based on 6 winters at LV I have to say that health care is pretty OK, better than US in some ways. And eating well cheaply promotes health. Most dangerous part of my drive to LV is passing thru LA.
chophop

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fro my money there is no comparison. Maui boasts the world's best wave sailing. Maui is in the USA so you have all of the comforts of home.

La Ventana is in Mexico and features excellent bump and jump sailing. They claim some wave sailing but it is not the real deal and not anything like the Hawaiian Islands.
If you are not a wave sailor and don't aspire to be one, then you could consider La Ventana. And your cost of living will be half, or less, of what it would be on Maui.
If you have dreams of sailing the big waves then you can only get those on Maui, not in La Ventana. Exclamation
pshaw

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Where in Maui can you afford a house on the beach? Reply with quote

In La Ventana, there is an affordable property right on the beach. You can sail from your backyard, and the nearest good restaurant (La Palmas) is only two blocks away!

See: http://www.flexmls.com/share/6XEr/Casita-al-Rincon-EL-SARGENTO-La-Paz
tomg

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met a guy at a swap meet once that spent his winters in Baja in an RV on the beach, then drove north to Alaska, hitting the windy spots all the way back. Worked in AL all the [short] summer then reversed course in teh fall. That's a good plan too.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm there, it's about half way between Maui and LV.
And I'm not leaving! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: