myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Windsurfing Videos Buy and Sell Services
 
Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 193, 194, 195 ... 300, 301, 302  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
nw30



Joined: 21 Dec 2008
Posts: 1333
Location: The eye of the universe, Cen. Cal. coast

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:

I do mean to take issue with postings by NW and mrgybe that make no effort to ascertain the credibility, or credentials, of their sources. Or Iso, who misquotes them liberally, missing the point entirely. None of these three has even the remotest understanding of the importance of credibility.

Yikes! There it is again!
How awesome it must be to be you.

Can you sail?
Just wondering.

_________________
I don't drink the 'cool' aid, I drink tequila, it's more honest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pueno



Joined: 03 Mar 2007
Posts: 2357

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:

It was interesting to learn that Feynman experimented with LSD and smoked pot. One has to wonder what those on the right think about that.

The Feynman story (of very many) that I most enjoyed was while he worked on the Manhattan Project, he used to break into the Army's most secure safes and leave little notes, "I was here" and then re-lock the safe.

His point in that was to rub everyone's nose in the fact that we don't always know what we think we know.

"One has to wonder what those on the right think about that."

Who really gives a rat's ass what the fools on the hill think about that or anything else?
.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GURGLETROUSERS



Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 1250

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac. ...Common courtesy demands that I reply to your post.

In quoting that Russian research, just assuming for the sake of argument that it is correct in its predictions, I extrapolated (logically, I thought) from Vladimirs directly quoted statement. He was claimed to have said ..... 'there are no grounds to claim that global warming will continue to the end of the century. Forces of nature are FAR MORE POWERFUL (my bolding) than human activity, and industrial discharges..'

It seemed logical from that statement that, he was NOT claiming man made global warming had, or would cease, but that more powerful natural sources (the suns cycle) would override its effects, and knock it for six. Hence my 'over the top' statement. (Couldn't resist it.. I'm only human. Wink )

(Computer probs, will continue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GURGLETROUSERS



Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 1250

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continued.

I was cheekily suggesting that, since there were signs already (his claim) of what was on its way, it could be one explanation of why global warming effects have come to a standstill, and why we are in a cycle of severe Winters, with possibly worse to come. (I know there is teasing out to be done but all the main warming authorities have issued statements confirming there has been no significant warming over the last 15 years)

What now annoys me about pro warmers is their obvious change of tack, in an attempt to explain why the temperature has refused to rise in line with the still increasing atmospheric CO2 figures, over this period. (It was a central plank of global warming theory.) They now claim, instead, that global warming predicted all along that cold winters would result. That is clear manipulation of what was originally claimed.

The original claim was that ocean currents would change, and that the Gulf Stream (North Atlantic Drift) would CEASE, or very much weaken, plunging Northern Europe into a severe Winter cycle. The Gulf Stream Has NOT ceased operating, so it is dishonest to claim warming theories as an explanation of the current situation.

Whatever is really taking place, the situation will only become clear if either, global warming resumes in earnest fairly soon, or it starts to get steadily colder. Interesting indeed!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mac



Joined: 07 Mar 1999
Posts: 4655

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT--do you have a source for the study principal's conclusion? I am having trouble rationalizing it with the available, peer reviewed research that suggests the magnitude of solar flare temperature is 2 degrees.

For GW--How surreal it must be living in a world where the credibility of your sources has no bearing on whether or not you believe them. Much less one where you believe that citizenship does not involve any responsibility to think about whether your sources are credible. I'm trying to think of an appropriate artist. Magritte?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GURGLETROUSERS



Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 1250

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac.

Direct reported quote from Vladimir Kotlyakov from thre Russian Academy of Sciences, quotede in the Daily Mail on the day I originally posted it.

"There are no grounds to claim that global warming will continue to the end of the century. Climate moves in natural cycles, as well as drier and more humid times. Early signs of cooling are already there and the trend may pick up in coming years. Human activity and industrial discharges do have a great impact on the environment, but forces of nature are far more powerful."

If this statement had been issued in Soviet controlled times it would be highly suspect, but in post Soviet times the Russian Academies are noted for their integrity.

He was also stated as believing (no direct quote, so perhaps off the record) that,.... the 250 year sun cooling cycle could cause the earths average temperature to fall by SEVERAL DEGREES! (My bolding, because that is definitely serious!!!

I am not qualified to question his statements, and I would hope he is more forthcoming to the main scientific world community in future. His views may them be modified.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
feuser



Joined: 29 Oct 2002
Posts: 1386

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Continued.

I was cheekily suggesting that, since there were signs already (his claim) of what was on its way, it could be one explanation of why global warming effects have come to a standstill, and why we are in a cycle of severe Winters, with possibly worse to come. (I know there is teasing out to be done but all the main warming authorities have issued statements confirming there has been no significant warming over the last 15 years)

What now annoys me about pro warmers is their obvious change of tack, in an attempt to explain why the temperature has refused to rise in line with the still increasing atmospheric CO2 figures, over this period. (It was a central plank of global warming theory.) They now claim, instead, that global warming predicted all along that cold winters would result. That is clear manipulation of what was originally claimed.

The original claim was that ocean currents would change, and that the Gulf Stream (North Atlantic Drift) would CEASE, or very much weaken, plunging Northern Europe into a severe Winter cycle. The Gulf Stream Has NOT ceased operating, so it is dishonest to claim warming theories as an explanation of the current situation.

Whatever is really taking place, the situation will only become clear if either, global warming resumes in earnest fairly soon, or it starts to get steadily colder. Interesting indeed!


Hi GT!

YOUR (the British Isles) winters are colder. That's entirely in line with several Climate Change (please do not say Global Warming anymore!) models I've read about.

You mentioned 'doubt' as an antonym to 'belief' in an earlier post. I am not sure if doubt in that sense has its place in science. There is valid criticism of methods, theories, etc. within the scientific community; and the way to express that is by presentation of factual explanations.

Doubt is a philosophical concept, and, while your philosophy is entirely your own prerogative, your actions and support for collective solutions to problems affecting us all, are not.

_________________
florian - ny22

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
feuser



Joined: 29 Oct 2002
Posts: 1386

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Mac.

Direct reported quote from Vladimir Kotlyakov from thre Russian Academy of Sciences, quotede in the Daily Mail on the day I originally posted it.

"There are no grounds to claim that global warming will continue to the end of the century. Climate moves in natural cycles, as well as drier and more humid times. Early signs of cooling are already there and the trend may pick up in coming years. Human activity and industrial discharges do have a great impact on the environment, but forces of nature are far more powerful."

If this statement had been issued in Soviet controlled times it would be highly suspect, but in post Soviet times the Russian Academies are noted for their integrity.

He was also stated as believing (no direct quote, so perhaps off the record) that,.... the 250 year sun cooling cycle could cause the earths average temperature to fall by SEVERAL DEGREES! (My bolding, because that is definitely serious!!!

I am not qualified to question his statements, and I would hope he is more forthcoming to the main scientific world community in future. His views may them be modified.



Vladimir Kotlyakov is Professor and Academician, Institute of Geography, Russian Academy of Sciences.
http://www.un.org/wcm/content/site/chronicle/home/articlesbyauthor/ko/vladimirkotlyakov

Examining the sources does serve a purpose!

Generally it seems odd that there is a clear line between climatologists and geologists in the discussion of climate change; or for that matter, that geologists are claiming authority on matters of climatology at all.

Each side asserts the other is biased through the sources of their funding. Of course, the claim that the camp of the climatologists are biased by the lavish public funding for research is laughable, especially considering the potential windfall awaiting those who change their view in favor of the carbon industry.

_________________
florian - ny22

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swchandler



Joined: 08 Nov 1993
Posts: 5462

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac, I have to say that your reference to surrealist Rene Magritte provides an illuminating take on things. As we all know, the future is the ultimate fantasy. It can be anything. The concept of global warming fits right in. The truth remains hidden, with only bits and pieces revealed over time. When you think about it, the paradigm of human evolution provides an intriguing parallel, but in reverse. While we know much, the absolute truth still eludes us. Past or future, mystery still remains.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mrgybe



Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Posts: 2447

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feuser wrote:
Vladimir Kotlyakov is Professor and Academician, Institute of Geography, Russian Academy of Sciences.
http://www.un.org/wcm/content/site/chronicle/home/articlesbyauthor/ko/vladimirkotlyakov

Examining the sources does serve a purpose!


Indeed it does. It is also important to conduct that examination in a more than superficial manner. This is a much more meaningful link. "Vladimir M. Kotlyakov is world-leading specialist in the field of geography and glaciology." http://igras.ru/en/staff/28

feuser wrote:
Each side asserts the other is biased through the sources of their funding.

Where has Vladimir done that? He appears to be a serious and accomplished scientist.

feuser wrote:
Doubt is a philosophical concept, and, while your philosophy is entirely your own prerogative, your actions and support for collective solutions to problems affecting us all, are not.

Nonsense. Any of us are free to object to, and act against so called "collective solutions" foisted on us by ignorant, self serving politicians.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 193, 194, 195 ... 300, 301, 302  Next
Page 194 of 302

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

myiW | Weather | Community | Membership | Support | Log in
like us on facebook
© Copyright 1999-2007 WeatherFlow, Inc Contact Us Ad Marketplace

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group