myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gear Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Gear Review Reply with quote

Ya pretty much everybody knows I'm an Open Ocean guy but this is about a new board, fin and sail. The 36cm MUF Ride was awesome with a 7.5 Cheetah and the 8'6"120ltr OO. coachg thought the fin would be too small for the sail but I couldn't break it loose even when pointing high. The Cheetah felt very light in the hands jibing at speed and rotated easily. The board planed up very quickly turned very nicely. I definitely noticed less rocker than my two smaller OO's. Whoever thinks Brian can't build a light wind board better think again!
190lbs / seat harness / BnF / fin pusher.......and loving it! Very Happy

lealyn32

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Review Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
Ya pretty much everybody knows I'm an Open Ocean guy but this is about a new board, fin and sail. The 36cm MUF Ride was awesome with a 7.5 Cheetah and the 8'6"120ltr OO. coachg thought the fin would be too small for the sail but I couldn't break it loose even when pointing high. The Cheetah felt very light in the hands jibing at speed and rotated easily. The board planed up very quickly turned very nicely. I definitely noticed less rocker than my two smaller OO's. Whoever thinks Brian can't build a light wind board better think again!
190lbs / seat harness / BnF / fin pusher.......and loving it! Very Happy

I really appreciate your review. I hope that I can have an experience of testing it out too. Smile
Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noshuz,
It looks like MUFins use a lot smaller fin area (and length) for the same board/sail combo than most other fins. In this instance, you were even using a fin that is a bit on the small side of their recommendation, if I am reading their graph correctly. Since I have generally found that the smaller the fin the smoother the ride (or is it power, not size?) I would be very interested in your--and other sailors'--experience with MUFins in nasty chop such as that often found at SI. (I realize that the difference might be less pronounced on OO's.)
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis_c wrote:
Noshuz,
It looks like MUFins use a lot smaller fin area (and length) for the same board/sail combo than most other fins. In this instance, you were even using a fin that is a bit on the small side of their recommendation, if I am reading their graph correctly. Since I have generally found that the smaller the fin the smoother the ride (or is it power, not size?) I would be very interested in your--and other sailors'--experience with MUFins in nasty chop such as that often found at SI. (I realize that the difference might be less pronounced on OO's.)

I'll let you know dennis. You're right about the smaller size. I should have gotten the 38cm according to their chart . I knew it would be fine for my 6.0 which is what I'll use at SI but I really didn't think it would hang in there as well as it did with the 7.5. I doubt I'll ever bring my 7.5 to Sherman unless I'm really desperate to sail and as you know you don't see too many sails on the water that big unless you're a racer head, when we're on 5's. I've also got the same fin in a 32cm PB that I don't think I need and has never been used if you're interested. So far I'm pretty impressed with the MUF's. I think they get away with less area because of the thicker foils. They have little to no twist or flex to them. I also have a wave and a NoSpin that I haven't gotten enough of chance really wound up to give an accurate assessment yet. I sail at the access. PM me if you want to try a fin and or board out and we'll work something out this season....Which seems to be starting early!!

Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After thinking it over, I suppose lift is lift, no matter the size. Even so, the performance you got seems remarkable. I'd be more interested in a 28 cm Nospin; I admit the name has a certain appeal.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought two MUF weed fins that impressed me a lot the first time I used them. They seemed to give an awful lot of lift and pointing ability for their size, and were almost impossible to spin out. I used a 26 cm speed and a 30 cm slalom, both times well shorter than recommended. Just one session each, so not enough data for a review, but they did beat any expectation I had (which were pretty high, after reading reviews in the German windsurfing magazine).

I will have a few MUF fins available for trying in Waves at the ABK camp next week and the week after (Deltas, weedies, X Type, and freestyle; mostly powerbox, but also a couple of tuttles). There are still spots left in the camp, so come on down!
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis_c wrote:
After thinking it over, I suppose lift is lift, no matter the size. Even so, the performance you got seems remarkable. I'd be more interested in a 28 cm Nospin; I admit the name has a certain appeal.

Here's what they say about "lift"
http://www.mauiultrafins.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=172%3A2-warum-sind-maui-ultra-fins-so-herausragend&catid=53%3Afaqs&Itemid=134&lang=en

I have the NoSpin 26cm A box. I've used it a little with my 8'4" 95ltr OO but haven't really been wound up on it yet. I'll be switching back and forth between that and a 30cm TA Convert that is suppose to be the right fin for 5.0-6.0 at 268cm of area as opposed to the NoSpin at 203. Pretty big difference. We'll see what happens.

Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:

I will have a few MUF fins available for trying in Waves at the ABK camp next week and the week after (Deltas, weedies, X Type, and freestyle; mostly powerbox, but also a couple of tuttles). There are still spots left in the camp, so come on down!

It will be interesting to hear how those Deltas work out.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first impressions about the Delta can be found on my blog at http://boardsurfr.blogspot.com/2012/03/perfect-training-ground.html (scroll down to the bottom).

Bottom line: great in shallow and flat water, but a bit sensitive to back foot pressure. Not so great in chop, where they tend to spin out a lot. But they'll let you have fun in shallow areas where other fins would hit ground.

I recently had a couple of great sessions on the Deltas when I did not want to use regular 28 cm weed fins anymore. Reports by others on the UK and Australian boards are very similar to my experience. I am using the Delta's a but larger than the MUF charts suggest (19 cm with 5.5-6.5/95 l, 21 cm with 7.0/117 l).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: