myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wetsuit help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluefishz1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Wetsuit help Reply with quote

Need a new suit. Been using an old scuba short arm 2 or 3 mm. I hear windsurfing specific suits will be a dream compared. Probably wont go out in air colder than 60 F, but water could still be in low 50's. Even on days here in Chicago when air is 75 F or more, water may still be 50's or worse. Need something for occasional dunk. Not in water long!

Looking at either Neil Pryde or O'Neill here in the states. I hear Neil Pryde have soft skin which is better for windchill but not quite as durable as O'Neill. Also, have heard O'Neil is more flexible and made for surfers? Would think they need flexibility in arms as well? O'Neills website has way to many suits and very confusing!

Any advice would be great. Looking at a full suit, either 3/2, or 4/3. By the way if I go 4/3, is it really that much more constrictive than a 3/2? Not looking to spend more than $200 if possible. Thanks for your help!
rswabsin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you don't have the luxury of a local shop to try a suit on first before buying so I'm guessing your researching on-line. Suits are all really good now a days - I've been using surfing stlye wetsuits for more than 20 years and they work fine for windsurfing for me but I'm average sized. You need to select a size that will be snug fitting but not restrictively tight or too loose either. O'Neill and Xcel are both really good brands with reputable customer support should you need it. Don't know anything about Neil Prydes suits. Think about the type of entry into the suit you want (front zipper as opposed to back zipper) - the front is easier to close obviously but are typically a bit tough to get in/out of due to the smaller opening in the suit to squeez thru. $200 is a good budget to work with - the higher priced suits are typically made of softer more flexible material and can often tear or wear out more quickly but they offer more comfort, warmth and flexibilty. A 4/3 suit will be a bit warmer with slightly less flexibilty but it sounds like a 3/2 would be fine for your applications. Think of your suit as also being a means to survive in the water for an hour or more should something break or you get stuck out in the water for an extended period of time - it happens to everyone sooner or later. If you think you'd like to talk with an experienced sales person - try giving one of the shops that advertise on here a call like isthmus sailboards. I've had good experience with them in the past when ordering gear over the phone.

Good Luck,
Rob
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, what rswabsn said. Plus, scuba suits have nylon skins on both sides for durability, but when a nylon skin is wet and out of the water, evaporation makes those suits cold in the air. Windsurfing suits have smooth skin on the outside to avoid the evaporation cooling effect. The down side is that they tend to tear more easily if snagged on something or if you aren't careful while pulling them on. Too snug on the forearms and you will pay a price, so a good fit there is everything.

You have to try them on to find a good fit.

Good luck
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promotion, at www.wetsuit.com

Their seams are guaranteed for LIFE, and in over 40 years of wetsuit sports (surfing, then windsurfing) I've never had better suits, one full and one shorty. You can call them up & talk about sizing if you're an unusual fit, and if the one they ship you isn't just right, it comes with a return label for easy mailing. They make windsurfing-specific suits, and are based in the Gorge, so they know what they're doing. You'll never get better or friendlier service anywhwere, and their wetsuits are the bomb!

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wetsuit help Reply with quote

I would want a 4/3 minimum and designed for windsurfing, i.e. smoothskin
all around (for less evaporative cooling), and slightly larger forearms for
less fatiguing. I'm also a ProMotion fan.

-Craig

bluefishz1 wrote:
Need a new suit. Been using an old scuba short arm 2 or 3 mm. I hear windsurfing specific suits will be a dream compared. Probably wont go out in air colder than 60 F, but water could still be in low 50's. Even on days here in Chicago when air is 75 F or more, water may still be 50's or worse. Need something for occasional dunk. Not in water long!

Looking at either Neil Pryde or O'Neill here in the states. I hear Neil Pryde have soft skin which is better for windchill but not quite as durable as O'Neill. Also, have heard O'Neil is more flexible and made for surfers? Would think they need flexibility in arms as well? O'Neills website has way to many suits and very confusing!

Any advice would be great. Looking at a full suit, either 3/2, or 4/3. By the way if I go 4/3, is it really that much more constrictive than a 3/2? Not looking to spend more than $200 if possible. Thanks for your help!
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above, go with a windsurfing specific suit. They have more room in the arms compared to a surfing suit.

50 deg water and 60 deg air is still pretty chilly, I'd say a 4/3 or possibly even a 5/4/3. A lot depends on your personal preference. Using a hood/beanie is a good way to add extra heat on cooler days.

However thinking you'll only be in the water for a "dunk" is foolish. When it comes to cold water windsurfing, you need to plan for being in the water for an extended period (i.e., you break a mast, get separated from your gear, have to swim in).

sm
cptn_picard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always best to try on a suit if possible. Fit is key to both comfort and warmth. If I recall, Windward Board Sports on Clark carries O'Neill and South Port Rigging in Kenosha carries Pryde suits. As an added bonus if you buy local you'd probably get some good advice on what the other local sailors use most (4/3, 3/2 etc.) in your conditions.
adywind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooth skin like the NPs are better , becouse they protect from the windchill and you can get away with less thickness. Downside they get damaged easily /Aquaseal to the rescue /. A tried and proven /by me/ trick to achieve the same result with a standard cheap wetsuit is to put a windbreaker type garment top and/or bottom over it. Just make sure it doesn't have a second solid layer or intact pockets that could fill up with water.
Btw I also live in the Chicago area and I use a 5/4/3 NP smooth skin and a 3/2 regular for when the water gets above 50, i also use a long john fleece and neo socks for additional isolation and ease of getting in and out. A neo cap and boots are mandatory too, open mits are optional. My threshold for going in is air temp 40 and water in a liquid state.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.47 KB
 Viewed:  17009 Time(s)

image.jpg

rangerider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my new NP 5/4/3 suit - so easy to move and warm - I don't even think about the temp but just enjoy windsurfing which is the idea. I also have a shorty for cool summer days. Whatever brand you choose be sure to get a smooth skin wind sports specific suit. I ordered mine from isthmus sailboards - no affiliation
rigitrite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever kind of suit you buy, just don’t be the dick who goes to a store, spends an hour trying on suits, uses the shops resources and employees, and then goes and buys the same thing online in a futile effort to save $20. People who do that are worthy of our strongest scorn…..and I hope they get dysentery soon.

It’s hard to go wrong these days with so many great manufacturers out there. I like Hotline wetsuits (www.steamerlane.com …..don’t try Hotline.com, you’ll get more than you bargained for)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: