myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Which 90 liter freestyle wave?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregnw44 wrote...
Wait.
What ?!?!?!

A few years ago, you were windsurfing at 190 lbs.
But now, you're still windsurfing at 152 ?!?!?"

A couple of years ago I had knee surgery and after sitting around for three months and walking on crutches for a couple more months, I actually went from 190 to 202lbs!!!
I knew I would never be any good to myself at that weight, and my knee would not last, so I joined weight watchers and over eight months I dropped to 150LBS. I like it here. I go up a little now and then, but I am able to keep it under control. I have been this weight now for 1 and a half years.
Had to change my whole board quiver. A 4.6 is now my big sail. I only used a 5.2 three times last year. I used my 5.8 once.

No I am not a girl. Never been pregnant.

KMF
jsampiero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Pritchard and I agree: the simplest (and often fastest) way to get better at windsurfing is to lose 20 pounds. (Unfortunately, this does not mean that losing 40 pounds will make you twice as good. You may, however, come close to planing twice as much.)

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
jimoakes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of agree: the simplest (and often fastest) way to lose 20 pounds is windsurfing. It's also more fun than other weight loss programs.
starfish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: 20 lbs Reply with quote

Windsurfing will help you lose 20lbs. But getting in shape will work better
Go to the gym, swim laps, ride mt bikes etc...... Oh yeah water sking hard helps too. My arms are still sore from wed. night.
I ended up gettin a used 2012 goya one 94l. Now if it would just blow!
jsampiero

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I sort of agree - but I'd posit that once a certain level of skill and finesse has been attained, the caloric burn of windsurfing rapidly diminishes.

jimoakes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh, I wanted point out how windsurfing is a great workout. I work out in the winter but I don't sail. I lose 15 lbs fast every spring with windsurfing as my only exercise.

Dean Karnazes wrote an article in windsurfing magazine about windsurfing vs running, biking, and swimming. He compared the cardio benefits and windsurfing came in third from what I remember.

It was surprising that sailing could be such a great calorie burner. Dean is now a running guru and very technical. He compared windsurfing in 5.0 bump and jump conditions, his average San Francisco sail at the time.

It would be great if you could find that article and post it or PM me, Josh. It was probably in the magazine around 1990 give or take a few years.
starfish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Good for you Reply with quote

Working out in the winter is good for injury prevention and stress level.
Weight lifing is good for load bearing and core strength. Swimming is good for endurance and shoulder conditioning. It seems as males age our shoulders become weaker.
Mt biking and downhill sking keep your reflexes sharp.
The goya one 94 liter was a little big on 4.7 at rowena saturday. It feels like 5.3 or bigger would be great. It was very easy to gybe, my weakness.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim,

Your memory serves you well; I was thinking about that article as I wrote my post.

However, I stand by my statement that the better windsurfer you are, the less energy/calories you'll burn while just BAFfing.

Things change the moment you start tossing forwards, sailing waves, freestyle, etc, etc.

I'm overseas at the moment but when I get back I'll see if I can dig that article up. I doubt Dean has it handy...

But - I'd posit that the article's main point - windsurfing in winds of about 20 knots is a major calorie drain - may have been closer to the truth when Dean wrote it than it is today. Easier, lighter, better-tuned gear makes windsurfing less difficult and way more energy (and calorie) efficient.

When I was learning, 20 MPH breezes (and the work necessary to windsurf in them!) had my heart thumping.

Nowadays (and this is kind of sad to say!) 20 MPH leaves me yawning!

starfish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: no work Reply with quote

I hear yeah, its gota be blowing 30 to 40 for me to really get a work out lol
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's operator error. Wink

Try throwing a 7.5 or 6.2 around @ 20 mph like a 3.5 @ 35, or a 5.2 @ 5 mph in light air freestyle. It's all in what you're doing with it.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: