myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 412, 413, 414 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Wrecked Rig Reply with quote

Hi SPQR,

It was my Bic Techno. Tried to repair it and did not get the mast box right. So I cannot install the mast base. Will have to see what I can figure out to fix it. The sail torn was my best sail. A 7.0 Ezzy Cheetah. Only one year old an bought new. Will check with Joe Ray to see if it is fixable.

Sailed Capitola in light wind today with a Kona Surf and an Ezzy 6.5 Freeride. Hoping it would kick in with the south wind fighting the north. It did not and 4 to 5 knots was all I got, fron the southwest. Not good enough to catch the south swell that was coming in occasionally. Darn!

Windward1
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPQR wrote:
Dam Windward 1, that sucks. Which board was that? Bert - last year PA Mudog (I think) and friends cleaned out the trash at Tigers, did you see any obstacles? Do you ever launch at Haskins or just at Oyster Point? I've been thinking of sailing Tigers but am always wary of shopping carts and debris in the spring.

Have sailed Haskins several times this year... no new obstacles to report!

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Rube

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Berkeley Reply with quote

Berkeley, Gustasaurus Maximus.

30+ 0 29 0 17 0 rinse, repeat.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Cowells Indicator 5 or 6 out at a time on sub 5.0 (on 5/5/13 Reply with quote

Cowells Indicator 5 or 6 out at a time on sub 5.0
between 2 and 4 pm reaching toward the mile buoy launching
from the Indicator stairs.

Also kiters at pleasure point.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Agedob, Sun. May 5 Reply with quote

Backwards wind => backwards name.

5.7. Even though it was 2:1 gusty as usual, the gusts were no higher than 25, so harness practice was indicated. I did better with long lines, and found a boom height that worked reasonably well.

A bit under-powered, but this sail has seen better days and can be cranky.

Nobody else showed up on the harbor side. Some kiters were at Doran. A non-local sailor came by asking about sites. He said that he was a regular sailor at 3rd, so I suggested that Doran might be good.

I liked this place on southerlies.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: New Brighton & Vicinity Reply with quote

Launched at New Brighton and sailed between there and Capitola. Nice south swell to play on. Caught waves at Bombora and the area between there and Capitola jetty. I was on a 6.5 Ezzy and Angulo 10'10". Perfect setup for the conditions. One other windsurfer out sailing the same area. He was on a 6.0.

Great day!
Very Happy
NickB

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

force 4bft @ alameda 4:30-5:30, nice and consistent, organized chop, warm air and water, 100% planing 7.0/135l@150lb, 20 miles of reaches to ferry channel and back, practicing jibes in the flats of crab cove... till it died down around 5:30. No other windsurfer, a half-dozen smiling kiters.
Rube

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Berkeley 5/7 Reply with quote

5/7 on my 5.7!
Really nice session today at Berkeley! Super steady wind, fun rollers, sunshine!
Oh yes, and it was Bft 5. On a side note, the new Berkeley sensor seems to be reading accurate, not the previous 3 - 4 mph optimistic. I was planing 100% of the time today from 4:45 - 6:15, which would not have happened if the old sensor indicated 18 - 20.
NickB

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi windward, how would you compare the angulo 10'10" (gu, right?) with the kona surf? (leaving the surf's daggerboard out of the equation)
windward1

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Kona Surf vs Angulo 10'10" Reply with quote

Hi NickB,

The Angulo 10'10" is like an oversized longboard surfboard. No footstraps. The Kona Surf is more like a long, narrow regular windsurfer with footstraps.

Both are near 170 liters, but completely different boards.

Item: ............. Angulo: ............ KonaSurf:

Weight: ...........27# ..................32#
Volume: ...........175 ...................170
Length: .............10'10"................10'6"
Width: ..............77.5 cm.............. 65 cm
Fins: .................Tri ......................Single

The Angulo was perfect yesterday as the winds were light, from 4 to 14 knots. It catches swell readily with just a little speed and in those conditions footstraps merely get in the way.

In higher winds (steadier, medium (15-20 knots) winds), the KonaSurf does well and one finds themselves wanting those footstraps in that situation. The other advantage of the Kona is that with the daggerboard, one can get to windward faster, which is good for getting from launch to wave break. However the dagger board can be a pain once you get to the break if it is dropping down unexpectedly. Those tightening screws can be critical and unless you pack a screwdriver with you are unadjustable once out on the water.

Actually. for medium winds I like my old Techno 283 for wave sailing. For higher winds (25 knots +/_) I use my JP FSW. The Techno at 20.2 # is significantly lighter than the KonaSurf.

Windward1
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 412, 413, 414 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 413 of 427

Jump to: