myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing In NJ Barnaget Bay Post Sandy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whamilton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing In NJ Barnaget Bay Post Sandy? Reply with quote

I,m wondering if anyone has been windsurfing in Barnegat Bay- Seaside since Hurricane Sandy. I normally launch by the fishing Pier or at the Marina where Seaside hits Island beach State Park.

Is that area open now? What kind of new underwater hazards have you experienced? thx
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good timing on your post. I'm planning to try to get out sailing Lavallette sound side tomorrow, Friday the 19th, for an after work sesh. Forecast is 20-25 from the south and temps near 70.

I have not personally sailed yet since Sandy (over 5 months, OUCH!), but my understanding from one of the fellows that sails Lavallette regularly is that the water is clear for the most part. He informed me that you need to be on the look out for floating debris, mainly pieces of people's decks. He personally has not had any issues and said he's sailed there several times since January.

My understanding is that there is a group(s) that is using side looking sonar to locate and remove the debris from the water.

sm
whamilton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SM, The potential looks very good for friday, but not in the cards for me. I was actually more concerned for what is below the surface or on the bottom now. I'd be interested in hearing your observations if they are different.

Do you ever sail at Seaside? I thought a south wind was better there and a north wind better at Lavallette.

Have a great session!
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was actually some discussion today on the njwindsurfing yahoo group (which if you're a New Jersey windsurfer, you may want to think about joining this email group) about sailing at seaside. There have been folks that have sailed there since Sandy and reported that it is clear.

As far as which launch is better for a South wind, Seaside or Lavallette, I've sailed both and I really don't think there's a difference. At Lavallette you have a slight wind shadow at the launch, but after you sail out 1/8th mile, the wind is generally very clean in the open bay. I usually prefer Lavallette because the park is about 15 to 20 minutes closer to me and it as a nice grassy rigging area.

sm
rswabsin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bred2shred,

Just curious if you ever sailed this past Friday at Lavallette and what the launch and overall water conditons were like (with respect to access and debris clean-up). I see from the current thread by B737 that some hidden debris is out on the flats. Let us know you take on the conditions.

Thanks,
Rob
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually did not end up sailing. Maybe I psyched myself out looking at the DEP cleanup progress or maybe I'm just erring heavily on the side of caution. The thought of whacking into a submerged object is just really unappealing to me. B737's report kind of verifies that there is still stuff out there. I had heard an eariler report of someone else losing a fin at Lavallette earlier this year, they thought it was from a crab trap.

It's painful sitting on the sidelines, especially now that its getting warm and windy, but I think I would have an equally difficult time enjoying sailing through a mine field. Hopefully they're able to get all this crap cleaned out. I think locating the debris and then calling the DEP (1-877-WARNDEP) to get it removed is the best plan.

sm
richhotdog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed Seaside twice last week,Sun. and Fri..I did not see anything bad in the water.I picked up some broken glass on the shore but that is usual stuff.If you are not sailing Seaside because of fear of hitting submerged debris your wrong.Go sailing the water is getting warmer.
Rich
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richhotdog wrote:
If you are not sailing Seaside because of fear of hitting submerged debris your wrong.

Its going to take more than a couple reports from a handfull of people windsurfing at one spot without incident to prove to me that the bays are totally clear. So if being somewhat hesistant to jump back in the water after the state's worst natural disaster in recorded history in which the ocean overwashed the barrier islands with several feet of water and inundated the bays with countless tons of debris makes me "wrong", then for now, I guess I'll be wrong.

sm
richhotdog

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed Seaside again today with at least twenty sailors/kiters. Nobody had any problems with submerged debris. It was a good three hour session.
Rich
scargo

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping to sail Sunday on the E wind, even if the conditions are on the light side. Will probably stay in the channel because, like others, I'm afraid of hitting submerged Sandy detritus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: