myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Questions about my new WindSup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Questions about my new WindSup Reply with quote

Just had an Exocet WindSUP 11'8" delivered for this season (which may never come, still ice on the lakes and snow on the ground). Anyway, any suggestions for a fin for flatwater SUPing with this board as most SUP fins are not power box and the included 44cm fin may be overkill for SUP?

I'm thinking about a nose protector for this board as I am going to try to teach some friends and family to windsurf this summer - any suggestions? I have an NSI protector on my shortboard and it works fine but was a bit messy to install and not a perfect fit.

Fin suggestions for this board - I will be using it with Ezzy Lion 7.5 and 9.5 (probably something different to teach with but I'm talking about me here)

There is a regatta in June and I'm thinking I might give it a try with this board - never done or even seen a windsurfing race before - any hope that it would work with my board / sail combo? Not trying to be competitive just wanting to maybe give it a try. Thanks.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you will be suping without weeds any small to medium wave fin should be fine.

Re: nose protector. Dont most cases of nose damage come from powered up catapult-like forward movement of the rig. Not sure how likely this is with beginners.

Also on a longboard would the boom even strike the nose or would it hit on the deck somewhere. I am not sure if the boom has to hit the nose, to damage it, or if the mast can do it also.

That deviator thing worries me a little. Did i hear something about excessive leverage on the mast track, or was that just my imagination.
rangerider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I did a search on the deviator and edited my initial post as I noted concern about mast-box damage - I think I'll just get a nose protector but I'd like it to look as good as the new board if possible. My guess is that the largest NSI pad would be fine and maybe that's it for good options. It isn't just the boom that can damage the nose but the mast as well - I know that much from experience. Thanks.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a windsup, I use an Ion mast pad then a Pryde t-boom mast boom pad with a Dakine boom pad over it because the velcro on the t'boom pad is too small and keeps coming loose also the Dakine adds more padding. This setup has taken some severe catapult whacks where I flew thru the air head over heels and landed on my back with no damage to the board.
That nose pad is a quality product but I believe this works better because the board's nose is so long the nose of the boom does not clear it so it will only benefit when the mast comes down at an angle and then it's almost clear of the pad. Also the t-boom keeps you from grabbing the mast which reinforces good technique.

0330131649.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.06 MB
 Viewed:  6571 Time(s)

0330131649.jpg

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for lake applications, any fin will do for SUP'ing. in surf, i've seen people over finned with a 32 cm. try 29 for wave SUP'ing. sailing nicely powered with some planing, i like a 38cm. side off, big waves, puffy 8-16 mph i like the 32 cm.

over the course of my 30 years WS'ing. i've most often been catapulted when running into something submerged. next most often was when i was learning straps and harness. once i learned to put the front foot in first, my catapulting dayz were over via technique. in lighter wind areas, front foot first technique has been the most commonly successful way to learn strap and harness. in higher wind venues, other techniques may work.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: