myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Board Request (redesign the vent screw head)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BritishSteve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My battern screws are 10x24 SAE size so use a 5/32" hex wrench (4mm is also pretty compatable). You have not mentioned what thread your vent screw is, I have seen many different sizes. You can buy hex drive machine screws, obviously the size of the hex drive varies with the diameter of the machine screw. The chance of the machine screw with the correct thread having the correct hex drive is pretty slim. It's probably cheaper to buy a screwdriver with multiple bits and leave it in your vehicle.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.chinooksailing.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=170

Yeah, btbill... if this $4 vent screw happened to fit... this is a great idea !!
Or if that one didn't fit, for 1$ more you can get this full insert, which would take some work.
http://www.chinooksailing.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=198

Easiest, fastest idea was probably to buy a multi-screwdriver and leave it in your car.
And yes... (for me) being "more organized" (pre-loaded bags and bins) is a worthy goal... and I do use those Smile
I have excuses though - I have 2 different vehicles, that I might drive windsurfing. I might go to vastly different spots to sail - commonly from 4 min away to 4 hours away (and everything in between). I have 2 longboards, 1 formula, 4 shortboards... that I might pack to take. I have sails from 11.0 to 3.5 that I might pack to take. And of course, WAY too many masts, booms and to work with that variety of sails. And tons of different mastbases to work with all those rigs, AND, work with the different kinds of mastboxes in the raceboards vs. shortboards.
The best idea is to get a Sprinter van and leave it all in there. But for lots of reasons, I'm staying with the vehicles I have.
Anyway, when I don't travel "that" far... I try to pack as little as possible (cause I'll be unpacking it all when I get back after sailing).
I've been into this sport for over 30 years. And just last summer, I packed to go down to the lake and thought I'd use my old 8.2. Got down there and realized I brought the wrong (size) mast...had to drive home an change it. Luckily, it's close.
I have lots of masts, stored full length, in racks in my garage, many look similar... I grabbed the wrong one.
I'm much more careful double-checking when drive 4 hours (but still not perfect).
In some ways, I liked windsurfing better, when I had just one of everything. And the boom was always tied onto the mast, rotated up for transport, with the sail already on the mast, also rolled up next to the mast. I unloaded my car in 1 min and rigged in 1 min... and never forgot anything, LOL
I do sail faster now though... in a great range of conditions...
Greg Smile

PS - And yes you're right... I do NOT need all that gear at all, to sail in the range of conditions that I do. I could down-size. But I got deals on much of that stuff years ago... and it's not really worth anything to sell it. And I have room to store it. So, I just keep it.
For a 1000 different windsurfers... there might be a 1000 different reasons or priorities why we want different things... and many "could be" valid.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL my 30 boards have slot head vent screws, so a coin or a key is all that's needed.
The two newer boards, '09's, also have slotted vent screws.
norcom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

standards: Smile

standards.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.74 KB
 Viewed:  9315 Time(s)

standards.png

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already been done: http://www.foamez.com/casica-gore-tex-vent-plug-selfventing-p-779.html

I believe JP boards use these, or at least some.

paulf.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had some used thommen/dunkerbeck boards at least 10 years ago that had goretex vents. wonder why this hasn't become industry standard?
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw Exocet FW with goretex vent plug last summer, I think they've used them for a while.
Just looked at the Exocet website, and they don't mention anything about them.

An interesting read about them on Dan's link.
For hi-vol boards, you need two. And there's no guarantee, from that brand.
They mention something about use in saltwater..
Which got me thinking... with salt crystals building up in that fitting over time... it seems like you'd reduce air movement quite a bit.
Greg -
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: