myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Delta summer gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not often that I agree with isobars, but I would recommend bringing your 75 liter board along, unless you intend to buy one in California. There are many windy days, particularly during the morning ebb tides, where you need a low volume board to more comfortably handle the swell and chop. Also, don't forget the sunscreen and a good hat.
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No van camping, only 1990 or newer motor homes and trailers. No, they don't have a hot tub, either. Original poster said he was coming in a van.
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
.... No, they don't have a hot tub, either... .

Oh man a hot tub would be sweet.
victor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>No van camping

their website only says no tent camping.

dang! my trailer is a 1977.

i guess they aren't our friends.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,
I try to answer the questions of other sailors when I think I might have something useful to contribute. I don't push my favorite products or places. From this thread and some of your earlier posts on the subject I assumed you wouldn't be interested in staying at Rio Viento. But since I have been taken to task over the omission, let me clear things up a bit. A decent looking tent trailer or van RV conversion such as Westfalia or Adventurewagon, plus $200 a week ($10 for wifi and no, there is no hot tub but that would be sweet) will get you in. There are certain rules, like your dog doesn't get to run all over the place (actually that's a state law) and you can't dance nekkid in front of the RV club types whose fiscal contributions help to keep the place open. Some people go apoplectic at the idea of any rules at all (or at least enforced ones) on "their" Wild West Island. Others think Rio Viento is the best thing that ever happened in their windsurfing life. Most consider it to be just one more choice. You pays yer money...etc. BTW the owners are windsurfers. Lately they even kite some, but I'm willing to overlook that because they're nice people and they have been very good to me. I hope you have a great time--and I'm pretty sure you will--wherever you stay.
Dennis (part-time employee of Rio Viento)

Last edited by Arrgh on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total
xoxota

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i'm out in the delta i usually rig up my banana hammock and a 36 pack of coors light but that's just me. doesn't matter what the winds blowing with that set up
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rio Viento has running water, so we don't have to pack it in in cans. Laughing
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually looked into renting a trailer camper to stay at Rio Viento in the fall, but it turned out to be pretty darn expensive. Could've bought a decent sized used one for the price of a rental, unless there are less expensive rental options. The rental and space would've cost around 6G.

Wouldn't might finding a small used trailer camper to buy in Cali when I get there and then try and sell it before I return.
jse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right next door to Rio Viento is the RVWA facility - much more funky but a great place to spend the night. People park their trailers there for the season, and you don't have to have a late model trailer. You can stay there for free if you buy a RVWA sticker from Cookie, the lady that runs the place. Ask her if you can stay there in your van for an extended period. I know she keeps a camper truck parked there cause I usually sleep in it when I stay there - beats pitching a tent. If you do stay there, make sure you note where the sprinkler heads are. If there's one in your vicinity, put your ice chest on top of it. Or you will be unpleasantly surprised in the middle of the night.

BTW, I think a SUP that's sailable is the best learning device you can invest in. I have one and I don't (usually) paddle it, but I love putting a sail on it and working on sail tricks. I have been getting into racing SUP's and that's a lot of fun, plus an incredible workout. But that's a different story.

Steve
victor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>you will be unpleasantly surprised in the middle of the night.

i remember that!

how about the that guy next to us that decided to empty his grey water tank at night when he thought cookie wouldn't find out?

solution: if you're in a tent, sleep in your wetsuit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: