myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Delta summer gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitevan01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, a fair bit <170
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

I’m of the mind set to bring it all and see as much as you can along the way, but it appears that you already have plans for the Delta. I look forward to seeing you out here.

What type of sailing do you prefer? Bump & jump, freestyle or BAF?

The thing about Sherman is you can be sailing in the exact same spot, the exact same wind and need two totally different setups depending on if it is a flood or ebb tide. Your 85 liter & 4.7 may be fine on an ebb but if it is flooding you would need your 102 and possibly your 5.5 in the same wind with a strong current. Some people only sail ebbs (wave gear) and some only sail floods (slalom/freeride gear).

At your weight I don’t see you using the 8.5 much. You could probably leave the 75 liter board if you bring the 3.7 sail. If you leave the 3.7 sail there are days that you will need the 75 liter with a 4.2. Mornings and evenings tend to be the stronger winds so your 85/102 with 4.2/4.7/5.5 will get you going almost every day at that time. Unless it is a major heat wave the Delta never really goes calm, usually 10-15 mph in the afternoon. That is a little too much wind for anyone who isn’t a hardcore SUP person to paddle but not enough wind for small gear. Figure from around 11 am to 4 pm for the lull. So take a nap or go to the playpen and do light wind freestyle. The major decision for you is whether to bring the Ray or SUP for those lulls. Unless you really like to paddle I’d bring the Ray. It is just as good a platform for light wind freestyle as the SUP and with your 7.5 will get you planing out on the afternoons quite often.

Light wind freestyle is fun but after a couple hours of sail flips I get the need for speed. I weigh 170 & use 130 liter/7.3 setup twice a week on average at Sherman May-July.

Coachg
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coachg and jse,
Thank you so much for the great information. I should perhaps have mentioned that I don't paddle the SUP, I sail it. I tried paddling around on it one day when there wasn't any wind, and had negative fun. I am also going to try and cram my mtb into the van for use when there is no wind and when I stop off on the way to/from the Delta, San Francisco, or anywhere else I may visit on this trip.

I am planning on this trip becuase it's what Andy Brandt told me I should do!!

sounds like I should bring all sails from 7.5 on down, and all boards except 75l, considering that if I find a used 75l out there that is newer than the board I currently have, I may just acquire it.

Since you know the area, could you suggest places to stay? As I implied in my original post, I am going to try and configure my van so I can sleep in it as I have heard that a tent or popup camper would not work due to the fact that it is usually fairly/really windy. Also, I would need to find a nearby post office where I can set up a box to get my mail sent to.

oh, are weed fins necessary? I guess I'll bring them in case I sail somewhere along the way where I may need them.

type of sailing I prefer: baf, yes, b&j, yes, freestyle: just getting into lightwind freestyle.

thanks again.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

No weed fins needed. I've never used or needed one in my life. The town of Rio Vista is just a 10 min drive away with a Post Office. If you are sleeping in your van you can stay at Powerlines for free, the Sign for a small fee. Brannan Island state park is only 5 min away and they have showers and camp sites for a fee as well. Go to http://rvwa-siko.com/ for more information. Join for $20 and you'll get a tide chart and the news letter with more information. Also, RVWA maintains the places you will camp & sail at as well as get the permits from the local ranchers to allow us the great access.

Another thing you can do is rent a small U-Haul trailer when you get here to store your gear and leave you more room form camping in your van.

Coachg
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,
Get a box at the small and friendly Rio Vista P. O. Go to the RVWA website at www.rvwa-siko.com click on "Sites", click on the map and follow along. When you turn off Highway 160 onto Sherman Island Road your first stop is Delta Windsurf. Meet equipment guru Derek, check out the used boards and buy a $20 RVWA membership which comes with the all important local tide chart. Next stop is Powerlines: free camping, always room. Next is the Sign: they can probably accomodate you with a van. Check with the host. Then comes Little Baja: pretty much a kite launch now. Just before County Park is the Access, where ABK hangs out. Next is County Park (Playpen on map and often referred to as the Access as well.) $5 day use without a trailer or $50 annual pass. Best spot for freestyle or to sail on a flood as you have places to exit should you be "flooded." You might even be able to camp here, but it's usually full. $8 a night with annual pass, $12 without, last time I looked. Sherman Lake Marina has a little store with important stuff like beer and washing machines and beer. I pretty much agree with Coach G on equipment, except there was that one July about 2 or 3 years ago when the wind never--stopped--blowing. Hard. Delta Windsurf sold a lot of small stuff that month.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis0778 wrote:
sounds like I should bring ... all boards except 75l, considering that if I find a used 75l out there that is newer than the board I currently have, I may just acquire it.

Since you brought that up, I'll volunteer that a pre-2009 75 liter Naish Wave would be my first choice on the Delta on an ebb tide in good 5.2 or better conditions. There's enough chop to appreciate the ride of a board that size and enough swell to put its maneuverability to good use, and its slightly narrower planform really opens up its upper wind range compared to that 85 liter FSW.

If you find a newer one you prefer, you can swap it/sell it/discard it/bring it to me. If not, you'll appreciate the one you have many days there. The only advantage of a newer one is better planing in lulls, whereas the Delta wind is usually quite steady during its peak hours.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great info, guys, that's the sort of stuff I was looking for and you all came through. I actually like the uhaul trailer idea, that's a good'n.

I could put my air mattress in a uhaul trailer and sleep in there, or I could find a used contractor trailer around here and convert it into a place to sleep. hmmmm.....

first, though, I need to join the RVWA. that seems like the gateway.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just join when you get here. No matter. Also, people do use tent trailers on the island. Sometimes a little hard to sleep in as it usually blows all night. The a-frame pop-ups are particularly desirable, if you happen to find one. And whatever you do, just remember to set your watch to Island Time, kick back with the friendly natives and wait for the wind to come to you.
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis_c and coachg both giving excellent advice here, Dennis_c is there all summer every summer, he works at an RV park, I don't know who coachg is personally, but seems to know his stuff.

I'm 6'4" tall and 210, slightly above average sailor I think. I've sailed 4.0 - 8.2 there, and it could be possible on the same day. Bring it all if you can.

Before you come, watch the "Delta Documentary" on my website, www.windjunkie.net It'll take about 8 or 9 minutes depending on how fast you read.

My wife and I have sailed the Gorge, Aruba, Margarita, and Maui, and we think the Delta is right up there with those places!

victor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: place to stay/camp Reply with quote

no one mentioned rio viento rv park. is it still in business? are they not our freinds? too expensive?

i thought they had wifi and a hot tub.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: