myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Mac...

I did not realize that "illegal immagrant" was offensive either. What is the politically correct term?

"Future Democrats"
mac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offensive? How about "anchor babies" and "massive numbers of illegal aliens pumping out babies." Not to mention blaming the increase in health care costs to "illegal immigrants." All talk radio nonsense. Repeated here by those who can't manage to spell "border." Or kool aid.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Another question for all liberals - Does the national debt concern any of you, and if not, what point will it become a concern?"

techno900, I think that you're missing an important part of the picture. While many folks like myself maintain a liberal outlook, that doesn't translate into a specious view that we don't care about reducing our deficit and the national debt. I'm on the record here stressing a position that the Bush Tax Cuts should have been allowed to expire for all taxpayers.

How can you pay down what is owed if you aren't willing to pony up any increased tax revenue? Are you willing to support a position that increased tax revenues are important component of any plan to reduce our deficit and debt? If you're not, it is hard for me to believe that you are very serious about reducing our national debt. Think about it, and please don't come back with the tired Republican talking point that if more tax revenue is raised, it will be irresponsibly spent. We have to remember that the Republicans have the majority in the House of Representatives. Don't you trust them to do the right thing?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac, I have not found Techno's posts to be offensive. He made none of the above comments.

Techno, I disagree with your take on Social Security and Medicare. Both programs were/are not intended as true insurance and annuities, although they are treated that way. You indicated that the government owes you because you paid in and they agreed to furnish the services. And yet, medical costs and technologies have grown to a point that have far exceeded what you, or I, have contributed.

When Medicare was established, dialysis for an 85 year old was unheard of. Now, it is common. MRI's are handed out like candy when an old fart (this is gonnna get me in trouble) has a neck pain. These services, and others, are not what you paid for, but they are what you can now demand.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there was no response to COB's request for a politically correct term for those that have entered and live in the US without authorization, let me suggest that we allow the highest court in the land to guide us. The term the Supreme Court uses when considering persons in this category is "removable alien". No-one can argue with that surely?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds of a regional issue here. We were told not to call Native Americans "indians". Fine. I get that...they are not Indians. So, now we are to use the term "Indigenous Peoples of North America".

The local high school team are the "Indians". Now, using the proper term above made it difficult for the cheerleaders to come up with catchy chants. They thought about changing their name to the "Cougars", but were afraid of insulting their mothers. It's all so confusing!
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what the correct term should be, but I liken it to Cuban cigars. It is illegal to bring them into the country, but once they are here, you can smoke them. The same is true with immigration. It is illegal to enter the country, unauthorized , but once you are here, provided you dont commit a crime, you can stay. There are 8 million unauthorized immigrant workers, working for US corporations, that live with their families in the US. There are many people that break the laws here in this country everyday....like I did today on the way to work, but nobody is calling me an illegal driver.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
The same is true with immigration. It is illegal to enter the country, unauthorized , but once you are here, provided you dont commit a crime, you can stay.

No you can't.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
The same is true with immigration. It is illegal to enter the country, unauthorized , but once you are here, provided you dont commit a crime, you can stay.

No you can't.

Yes, you can. Its not a law we enforce. Just like driving 58 in a 55 zone.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/12/24/167970002/obama-administration-deported-record-1-5-million-people
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 34 of 201

Jump to: