myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
fin size for 9.0m
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: fin size for 9.0m Reply with quote

i just picked up an older v8 9m, i had bought it mainly for using on an equipe in kinda subplaning/railing type winds, but have found its working pretty well on my kona 11 5.(aka exocet curve) for blasting around. although i am finding i am feeling a bit under finned with the stock 30cm.
so, as ive never used a sail that size before, what would be an appropriate size fin to get for that sail/board combo ?

LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin size is determined not only by length, but by area, square inches, and type of board, sizing, your sizing, your desire to head upwind, your desire to be comfy in 17 mph winds, bottom shape of your board, and direction you need to sail.
If your stock 30 does it all for you, it's just fine.
If you have a standard box, not thru deck, don't go longer than 34, or 12", but you can go much wider, like a longboard surfing fin (those made by Naish for SUP surfing have tons of surface area).
Best to measure the width OFO (one foot off the tail) and try not to exceed it by more than a couple of mm's.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to my pain Sad

believe these boards both have A/US fin boxes
same as my Fanatic Ultra CAT
my CAT has a decent 30 cm fin, but i am told one cannot go much bigger
with this type of fin box - still used on wave boards today

my fin seems to do fine with a 10-oh sail, but would prefer bigger fin
on my shortboard with power box, i use a 48 cm fin with sails 8.x

i guess as long as we do not push too hard on the fin we are okay
what did they do back in the day ??
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"back in the day"...
Fins were too small for big fellas.
A daggerboard was added.
Mast track was way forwards, or could be moved way forwards, to increase waterline resistance to sideways drift.
And while they COULD plane, planing wasn't the main consideration.
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the board simply take out the stock "A" box and epoxy in what ever style that you like....Tuttle....Power....whatever.

I did that to a Starboard 103 that I purchased. It cost about the same amount of $ to have Gary at Cascade Sailboards in Mosier put in a power box, (I have a bunch of large PB fins), as it would have to purchase a quality "A" box fin. And when he was done, I could not tell that there had been a repair to the board. A win win.

KMF
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Kona has a powerbox, the new ones do for sure. My windsup has a powerbox, wish it had a tuttle box, can't believe how easy fins rip out if you just tap something on the bottom.
Incidentally I picked up my cracked in half windsup from the ding guy today, two stringers and $200 but it looks exactly like new. I will post some pictures.
I asked him about putting a tuttle box on another board and he said $120, but things are expensive here in Hawaii, probably cheaper almost anywhere else. So it's probably a $200 job, $120 labor and $70 for a tuttle box wrapped in divinycell if you really want it done right.
Some old guy was sailing around really powered up last summer in very light wind, I was checking out his sail size and he said his secret weapon was his fin, it was a giant black Drake carbon fin, square on the bottom and very wide, like a big hatchet.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my CAT the OFO/one foot off is about 35 cm
so, how well would a BIG fin run on a board with these dimensions ?
the KONA is probably wider, but probably not the Equipe

and so, i have made NO changes to my CAT - that cost less than the $200 fin box change
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's annoying that the Kona 11'5" came with a US box, since it would be such a great lightwind freeride machine if you could pop a 46 cm fin in it.

Short of doing major surgery on your board to change the fin box, I think your best bet would be a 40 cm pointer fin. That's usually the largest size that they make for US box. (Because any longer than 40 cm would be too likely to tear out the box.) Do a little searching and I reckon you can find one online.

w8n4wind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just quickly looking, it seems like a-box fins over 30cm are pretty rare anymore.
ya, i do wish it had come with a power box, as i have quite a few of those fins, maybe some major surgery will need to be done.. Confused

dllee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason that few A box fins are longer than 30cm.
Naish makes a really huge area, slightly swept, old style course racing fin for their SUP line. It's got the most possible area for a 10" fin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: