myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rooster up to 60 mph, pictures
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: I agree with cgoudie Reply with quote

I have sailed in those type of conditions. It is not fun. And so, WHY? There is little hope of rescue and only a false sense of security if other windsurfers are present.

Anything can happen. Break a fin on a branch/log, get catapulted and stunned/injured/rip sail, pop a footstrap screw, drop a fin bolt, etc. The only hope then is to have a dry suit with with flotation vest so that you can last until you wash up on Government Island or something. And then what? How are you getting off the island before freezing to death as the sun goes down? Also, how easy is it to swim against current and wind in a thick wetsuit? Not very.

Oh, so you say you can rest while floating on your back? Maybe so, maybe not. It's tough to rest horizontally while you're blacking out due to hypothermia and vasoconstrictive effects...blood flowing out of your brain to your core.

Maybe I am getting old or simply have nothing to prove. There is so much to live for. If I had a spouse, I would forbid her to do stuff like this and kidnap her if she tried. By contrast, it's relatively safe and a lot of fun to surf the mountain in the wintertime. Learn to snowboard. Variety is the spice of life.

The photos are very good; I like the rainbow spray. I'm glad nobody needed rescue or got hurt or died.

The graph of wind speed is amazing and difficult to believe. I wonder about that anemometer (wind sensor). Is it possible it won't spin any faster due to friction? I doubt the wind was that consistent. I think it was "pegged" at the maximum reading and the wind was actually stronger than indicated. That is something only Iwindsurf can answer.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day at RR, one of the Hardy Few told his story when he finally made it back. "I missed my first waterstart I was freezing. I missed my 2nd my hands were numb. I knew if I failed on my third attempt I would probably die. I'll never do that again". No BS.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: I agree with cgoudie Reply with quote

Why? For the Rush when you survive of course. I'm not condoning
this type of action, and extreme cold conditions are extremely dangerous.
But, if nobody is relying on you for emotional or physical support, then
I would certainly defend your right to try.

Why do big wave surfers, surf waves you have to be towed into to
catch?

People who don't get it, definitely shouldn't try it.

-Craig

biffmalibu wrote:
I have sailed in those type of conditions. It is not fun. And so, WHY? There is little hope of rescue and only a false sense of security if other windsurfers are present.

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never sailed Roooster but have sailed coastal waters in such winds. Why? For the challenge. Foolhardy? Not necessarily, and much depends on the locus and sailor.

We don't so much call the conditions windsurfing conditions but more "survival at sea" conditions.

Would I do this in sub 40 degree water? Unlikely for the reasons you adroitly observe. Would I do it alone? No.

biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is the overall temperature that is the kicker. That is what will ultimately kill you, if you survive whatever mishap occurs to put you down in the water.

At 300# of blubbery ballast, it might be kind of fun to windsurf that stuff. Snowboarding is FUN without having to "survive". Almost everyone has family to consider.

P.S. Big wave surfers get towed in because it's extremely difficult to paddle hard enough to catch the big fast-moving waves in the sweet spot. There are ocassional deaths.
gwandsh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I always find it morbidly comical, when someone thinks another
person on the river in those conditions will protect you. I guess
it's possible, but dragging someone in, in those conditions is really unlikely
to succeed, calling the authorities might get a boat out in time to recover
the body. I guess I'm saying that in January, in that much wind, relying
on anyone other than yourself, is a delusion.

I have sailed in "similar" conditions a few times, although nowhere near 60 knots. In 35G45 you really can't see a buddy who might be down unless you know exactly where they went in and are close by. Swell, spray and survival all detract from visuals on the water.

I did manage to drag a buddy to shore on one of those days, but he was only a couple of hundred meters out - thankfully. We were both pretty well used up by the time I got him to shallow water.

You really do need to be self-sufficient in foul-weather sailing. My wife often says she will accompany me to the launch if I want to go winter sailing. The discussion always goes to "why"...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: