myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Feedback on..Tabou Thunder~ RRD firemove~ Fanatic Gecko
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Feedback on..Tabou Thunder~ RRD firemove~ Fanatic Gecko Reply with quote

anyone having ridden any of these in

the 100--110Liters sizes ?

looking for how they perform in respect to similar freeride or FSW , more so in chop, jibes, sail carrying capacity

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
MattD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Firemove 110 and absolutely love it. Even as a poor grad student I don't regret the expense one bit. I never have a bad session on it as the width is so forgiving (wind shadows cause me problems on my 93L FSW @ ~85kg). It obviously feels a lot bigger than my 93L, but it feels like a very small board when using big sails. Turns very well, but I'm only an intermediate so probably not the best judge. Handles chop relatively well, obviously a bit bouncier than the smaller FSW. Given I typically use big sails with it, it handles the corresponding chop very well.

I typically ride it with an 8.6 Severne Turbo and occasionally a 6.5 Retro. It handles the 8.6 well and gets going early, as you'd expect. I probably use my Firemove and 8.6 more times than all other board/sail combos combined. Very happy with it.

I was using a 50cm freerace fin on the Firemove with the 8.6 and it was horrible - way over finned. Perhaps I'm just not used to riding the fin but I didn't enjoy it. I now use a 39cm TA weed blade II and it's perfect. Really enjoyable summer blasting!
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes! The misteryous not so new anymore freemove breed. If I have to characterize them with minimum words I would go like this: The ultimate freeride board for the experienced windsurfer.
I did a short run with a 110 lt Freemove and liked it instantly. It looks sophisticated like something comming out of Apple. I tried it in around 20 mph wind small lake chop. I felt it is faster then my 112 lt slalom board or at least accelerates faster but it will suffer control problems much sooner. It felt loose and carvy but not so much as my 93 lt FSW and it will plane early but not earlier then my 136 lt freeracer and of course it will suck off the plane. It's nose rides high so no problem with chop.It can cary the widest range of sails and fins. A Swiss army knive of windsurfing. If I was on the market for a 1 board solution I would have gone for a 125lt freerider before , today I wouldn't think twice about getting one of those. The two owners of these I know love them. Both have the 110 lt size, it's the only board for the one and the second besides a small FSW for the other. They use everything from 4ish wave to 8ish cambered Freerace sails on them. Both are experienced averige size guys.
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattD wrote:
I was using a 50cm freerace fin on the Firemove with the 8.6 and it was horrible - way over finned. Perhaps I'm just not used to riding the fin but I didn't enjoy it. I now use a 39cm TA weed blade II and it's perfect. Really enjoyable summer blasting!

I find the MFC Lyquid Pro they come with suits them realy well. Of course you need different sizes to match the sails you are using. And no, you can't make it plane as early as a Formula regardless of fin size-it's only 75cm wide and not very floaty. How about freestyle-I'm curious?!
mat-ty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the Firemove 110 , great board, it's fast , planes up like a 125ltr, feels small and maneuverable, lots of fun in med to small mushy waves, fantastic at jibing. My Italian Swiss army knife.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for the real world hand on reports.

Will try and get a ride in OBX

Arrgh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I hadn't seen the Tabou Spoon...er...Thunder. Also, the latest Exocet X-Cross, the 100, looks interesting at " only" 65 cm wide.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to the US importer no Thunders are in the USA

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had the compact move 115 about a dozen years ago or so. it was sublime. way ahead of its time. nearly no one else was doing those boards back then. when i first got on the FM 110 in 2011, it felt like i was on the CM115 all over again. meanwhile, the exocet S-cross and cross series do the same thing. cross, more for waves, s-cross more for blasting.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
skyking1231

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 100 liter firmeove. Awesome board. I still have to get used of it though. As in... Figuiring out what sail to rig. Seems that i can drop down to a smaller size sail than what i used to use with my old naish board. Quick to plane, and carries through the lulls really well. Handles chop well, but maybe not as good as my naish. But jibing is awesome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: