myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Isabella stickers - one per board... unless you are a kiter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarryandJulianne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Isabella stickers - one per board... unless you are a kiter? Reply with quote

I just got back from Izzy, where I tried to get a personal sticker for my five boards. The store clerk showed me a letter from the authority up there, explaining that 'since kiters sometimes change their platforms and parachutes (sic), they can buy one personal tag. But, windsurfers must have a sticker on all boards. This will be enforced"

What??? We change "platforms" too! Last year they did permit personal passes, but something changed.

Anyone else run into this? What can we do??

LC
superkraut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry: in 2011, we got permission to have one permit per operator, rather than one per board. When I tried to ascertain that the same policy applied in 2012, I was told, no, what was I thinking, it only applied to kiters. Since I had worked for this special ruling as a windsurfer, and the kiters had only been included as an afterthought, I decided on a course of civil disobedience: I have since always had one permit on my person when sailing, and would raise kane if anyone challenged me about it. Nobody has. No windsurfer was asked to present his permit at Lake Isabella last year. This year, I wrote again to the head ranger of the Parks & Rec in Bakersfield, asking once again that the one-permit-per-operator policy be continued. There has been no response. Since I cleverly slipped a sentence into my letter about my assuming that he continue the one-permit-per-operator policy IF I DID NOT HEAR BACK FROM HIM, we are on pretty firm legal ground to just continue to carry one permit per operator with us whenever on the water.
Anyone have any problems with Lake Patrol, do let me know! I have copies of old correspondence that show clearly that the current ruling as stated in that note to the vendors is absolutely not what we had agreed upon in July of 2011.
The lady in the Shell station who sells those permits, knows nothing beyond that piece of paper she got from Lake Patrol. Just tell her you want to buy a permit for a windsurfer, and leave the details vague and generic!
Eva
victor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Lopez had the same policy last time I was there. $5.00/board. They got me at the gate and charged me.

I've been to lakes where they also required PFDs for windsurfers.
superkraut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no PFDs required at Isabella, no gates to pass through, either. Just a Lake Patrol, who will sometimes show up - preferrably on a Sunday after 5pm, when all the drunken violators of rules of the road, courtesy and common sense, have left.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
Lake Lopez had the same policy last time I was there. $5.00/board. They got me at the gate and charged me.

Ah. yes ... the sandwich police. Wink
Except back then it was a few bucks for each possible combination of board and sail, as in 4 boards X 6 sails X $3 or some such nonsense.
Only the second time I've eve gotten angry at a desk jockey just doing her job.

Here's the relevant paragraph: Slap that permit to yer helmet or rib armor, invoke The Superkraut Defense, and tell 'em you're covered. I've used the Superkraut Defense in numerous scenarios and places and sports, with 100% success so far. It holds no legal water, but it does give a public-minded civil servant some leeway to be a nice (and rational) guy.

Now back to the bigger picture; It even got me years of private dirt bike and 4X4 access to the world class gypsum sand dunes of White Sands Missile Range.

"Dear Gen Jones:
The 6514th Test Squadron is testing ground-penetrating radar over remote WSMR lands. Ground moisture affects test readings [all true; the BS begins here], so it is imperative that we assess that parameter first hand at ground level. We can do that on weekends to avoid interfering with your operations. Unless you object, we will begin next weekend, using civilian vehicles suitable for the terrain."

We never heard from Gen Jones. His staff had to know what we were up to, and was smart enough not to allow it but generous enough not to object. It worked, and it widened the grins on our faces as we flew and danced over those incredible, forbidden, 20-40 foot dunes. Thanks for reminding me of that great segment of my life.

More at http://tinyurl.com/cz7bwng and
http://tinyurl.com/cmqrjyc , for anyone seeking a truly unique park experience in the southwestern U.S. high deserts.

Rest assured we didn't ride anywhere near the park lands, which are less than half of the dunes' 275 sq miles.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just put it here. They don't know the difference....

basePlateMD.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.32 KB
 Viewed:  12698 Time(s)

basePlateMD.jpg

superkraut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant idea, Steve! alas, it does not fit, not even close
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the little black gasket between the Base and the board? Just make a super big one for Isabella. They're gonna look at that thingamajig and scratch their heads....

I tried. Laughing
jse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Now back to the bigger picture; It even got me years of private dirt bike and 4X4 access to the world class gypsum sand dunes of White Sands Missile Range.

Ha! That reminds me of when me and some of my college buddies drove from Lafayette Louisiana to Las Cruces to see our college basketball team play in a tournament. We got there in the middle of the day and the games weren't til evening so we found our way to White Sands. Parked the car and started walking. There were lots of footprints, but the further we got the fewer there were. Finally, no more footprints. After a few more sand dunes, we crested one and written in the sand on the next one was "USL Ragin Cajuns".

That place is incredible.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: