myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Worldwinds Windsurfing in Texas is great

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crashpile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Worldwinds Windsurfing in Texas is great Reply with quote

I am back from a great week down at Worldwinds Windsurfing in the Corpus Christi area of Texas. The staff is awesome there, as is the selection of equipment which is already rigged to go. This is my second year down there and I learned a lot and had a great time. I strongly encourage folks to check it out for a nice early windsurfing break. I forgot to mention it is windsurfing only, apologies to the kiters, but kiteboarding is not allowed.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't apologize. There is about 100 square miles of kiteable water in the CC area that is too shallow to windsurf. They can manage without BIB. It's crowded enough!
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed--Bird Island is a great place to sail. And, as reliable as a Nolan Ryan heater!
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in CC now and sailed Bird Island yesterday. Spot on about Don and company at Worlswinds! Great gear and great service. It's really weird sailing so far from shore and being able to stand up in chest deep water. Tired? no problem. Need to make an adjustment? No problem. This is the perfect place to learn to sail for anyone once you get past the most saltest water I've ever been in.
macesix

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! What were temps and what kinda wetsuit were you wearing?
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wetsuit? What is that. As long as the wind stays in the normal position it s board shorts. If it flips 180 degrees then you will probably want a wetsuit but then it really gets windy. You can do the same at South Padre Island with condos and hotel rooms Smile But the gear rental isn't as good...
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx. wrote:

Board shorts and rash guard. I saw some folks in full suits but can't imagine why. Suposed to get some north winds Thursday and Friday and maybe even some chop! Really flat here. Way cool place though. Good folks, great vibe.

johnl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
Thx. wrote:

Board shorts and rash guard. I saw some folks in full suits but can't imagine why. Suposed to get some north winds Thursday and Friday and maybe even some chop! Really flat here. Way cool place though. Good folks, great vibe.

Some wear full suits or nylon tops and bottoms to protect themselves from jellyfish encounters. But unless it shifts to the north you don't need them for warmth...
Goodwind

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lived and sailed CC for two full years in the late 80's and never seen jellyfish at Bird island. But wearing a T-shirt or something to avoid jellyfish was necessary in the Summer at CC Bay.

Quote:
Some wear full suits or nylon tops and bottoms to protect themselves from jellyfish encounters. But unless it shifts to the north you don't need them for warmth.
gwandsh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Texas sailing Reply with quote

You might wish to review the main forum post on sunscreen...

Unless it's super hot, light neo is a great UV shield. There are a handful of folks I know who have their summer activities restricted by needing to avoid sun altogether. That would suck.

Last summer in the Gorge we had non-sailing visitors who toured through Hood River with us. One asked if there was a reason the kiters they saw had wetsuits under their boardshorts. She asked if it was for sun protection.

Ya know, I never thought of that Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: