myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT...My father-in-law served with your countrymen in WWII. He certainly does not share the Isobar's opinion.

Now, about our revolutionary war... Wink
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you never served because you didn't care to or because you kept your ass in college and essentially dodged the draft, if you never gave years of your life in service to your country, if you never signed up to potentially losing your life in a war, and I'm talking about YOU, not your father in law or your uncle then YOU just don't get it and should probably just STFU. Idea
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt, isobars is putting on his phony shroud pretending that he is one of those brave injured soldiers that put themselves in harms way defending American interests abroad in war.

Why does he do that?

As I understand it, he served his full military tour of duty here in the US defending his desk against all odds. While that might be commendable, it does not make him a soldier that fought valiantly in distant lands against foreign enemies. I think that many of us have worked hard at our jobs, and that deserves respect and recognition, but I don't think that warrants shrouding ourselves under the same circumstances as those who have risked their lives abroad in war.

Hey beaglebuddy, what do you think about what I'm saying? Is working like isobars did at a desk job here in the US something to put on a par with those military veterans that served abroad in war? Seemingly he was wounded at his desk fighting against military contractors and those in his ranks who targeted and rallied against his charge. Is he really worthy of a medal of honor for his efforts?
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is asking for a Medal of Honor.
When you join the military you don't have a choice as to where and when they will send you into who knows what situation.
You could join the Navy to swab decks on a supply ship and end up being a Corpman attached to a Marine infantry unit getting your ass shot off.
You could join the National Guard to help out in emergencies in your state and end up driving a truck in a supply route in Crapistan getting shot at with no way to defend yourself.
You could join the Air Force to be a jet mechanic and get sent to a remote base in Crapistan where RPG's and mortar fire are a daily occurrence.
I gave up 6 of the best years of my life to live in such crappy places as swamp outside Charleston S.C., Egypt, 3 months on Diego Garcia, lived in a tiny crowded bunk on a ship full of idiots, took shit off incompetent people for years, worked ungodly hours in filthy conditions, regularly stood watches from midnight till 4 AM, risked my life in unsafe work conditions, confined to the ship for weeks and months at a time, for a pittance of pay, I would have earned more working at McDonalds.
Yeah nobody actually shot at us but we gave some of our best years in service to our country, what has everyone else done for their country besides mooch ?
I did it for nothing, Mike was a lifer, anyone can make more money in the private sector but lifers do it for the promise to be taken care of with a pension and medical.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the ordinary civilian populations of countries invaded by the German war machine, who suffered reprisals and often forced labour, or torture and death in concentration camps, not for anything they had done, but because of who they were?

What about our countries civilian population (women, children, the old, etc) who were nightly blitzed and blown to pieces, yet who 'fought on' in their normal daily jobs without recognion, pensions, or medals?

Didn't all of the above also sacrifice some of the best years of their lives (in too many cases in death) 'in sevice' to the common cause?

If you are in doubt about true heroism check out such people (to name but two) as Group Captain Leonard Cheshire V.C. (R.A.F. Bomber Command), or Violet Sgabo (young British woman S.O.E. spy heroin serving in occupied Europe). To equate Isobars with such people is obscene!
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the whole thing boils down to - Was Mike drafted or did he enlist?

During war & in peace times, many are caught up in circumstances beyond their control and may have to suffer and make the best of it.

However, those that make the CHOICE to enlist in the armed forces, national guard, coast guard or reserves, do deserve the appreciation of our country for their service, be it cooking in a stateside base or on the front lines in a foreign country. And yes, few have choices of what they will do once enlisted.

While I avoided Viet Nam because of college and teaching and a high draft number, my father build gliders for the D-Day invasion. Was his contribution any less than those that rode the gliders into France? Some may say yes, but it wasn't his choice. He did what the military figured would be the best for the war effort.

Those that dump on Mike because he wasn't shooting bullets, need to focus on other issues.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post deleted...gone skiing

Last edited by coboardhead on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:

Those that dump on Mike because he wasn't shooting bullets, need to focus on other issues.

Mikey shoots verbal bullets at Obama for nonsense.

Mikey dumps on all who use government benefits, regardless of whether or not they paid for, earned, or deserve those entitlements.

Mikey accepts disability and VA benefits while slamming others who accept comparable benefits.

Mikey ignores that the majority of taxpayers who accept those benefits pre-paid for those benefits.

That's worthy of focus, and it's fun to do so.

Can Mikey spell "hypocrisy"?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
GT...My father-in-law served with your countrymen in WWII. He certainly does not share the Isobar's opinion.

And what opinion would that be? My Dad also fought and bled for England and the rest of the free world in Europe, and I guarantee you he agreed that both the combat and the support troops who supplied, fed, healed, repaired, etc. them and their equipment deserve the common veterans' benefits. (Combat troops get extra benefits including hazardous duty pay, which I received for only a year or so.) I do not believe your FIL believes veterans do not deserve the benefits they earn.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I be running isobars over the coals because he didn't serve as a soldier abroad fighting against all odds? Normally I wouldn't rag on anyone who served in the military no matter what their job and responsibilities might be or have been. As beaglebuddy pointed out, many in the military do not have a choice in where they serve, and what they might be ordered to do.

I guess what gets under my skin about isobars is the fact that he is such a hypocrite. He rails against so many Americans that accept some government assistance and support, and he publicly belittles them here, while at the same time he is selfishly scamming the system himself. Is he actually disabled? How did he become disabled while serving in the military? Why isn't he candid and honest with us about what happened? Over time isobars has bragged about his balls-to-the-wall physical feats racing around on motorcycles in the desert and snowmobiles in the winter, and particularly about his legendary windsurfing stamina and high level performance. Does he sound like he has been physically disabled?

Some of you here seem to feel that isobars is getting a bum rap and that he has been treated unfairly. I happen to be of the opinion that he is reaping what he has sowed over time. It's his karma catching up with him. Just watch him over time and listen to his twisted and bent view of the world around him. If you're not seeing the ugliness and hate he is so well known for, what can I say?

Last edited by swchandler on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 19 of 201

Jump to: