myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:

Not sure now whether that implies crazy people, or just those who worship guns!

The second implies the first.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
'Great for exploding water filled plastic pop bottles.' (Quote.)

.....then exploding peoples heads, when those who are socially inadequate, or out to improve their standing, tire of such games, and step it up to the next thrill level!

Wouldn't it be to the point to figure a way of stopping the excess murders, than arguing over what classification guns and their parts should fall under?

Title of the thread is 'Gun Nuts.' Not sure now whether that implies crazy people, or just those who worship guns! (Not trying to give offence, just seeing things from a different perspective.)

Sorry, you are correct, I was off-topic. I did not occur to me, as I was writing a response to Johnl, that my comment would be offensive. I grew up hunting, and a discussion of our weapon of choice was common.

But, those that report the news on gun violence and those that write the laws appear often to have limited knowledge of the weapons. How can one write effective legislation without understanding the subject?

I assure you that shooting pop bottles did not cause me, or an of my friends, to desire killing. In fact, we spent a lot of hours out in the woods shooting and never killed even a sparrow for fun. Taking a large mammal sort of takes the romance out of killing.

I do think it is important, in any discussion of guns, to remind people that there are large sections of this country where hunting and target shooting (including busting jugs) are important recreational activities. I do not expect city folks to understand this. But, when laws are proposed to curtail these activities, there will be a backlash.

Some may consider this nuts. But, hey, I just spent four of the last seven days windsurfing in up to 4.0 conditions in an algae infested cooling pond for a power plant on an indian reservation. Now, that's nuts!
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another perspective on the issue, one not seen often.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/9RABZq5IoaQ?feature=player_embedded
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
'Great for exploding water filled plastic pop bottles.' (Quote.)

.....then exploding peoples heads, when those who are socially inadequate, or out to improve their standing, tire of such games, and step it up to the next thrill level!

Wouldn't it be to the point to figure a way of stopping the excess murders, than arguing over what classification guns and their parts should fall under?

Title of the thread is 'Gun Nuts.' Not sure now whether that implies crazy people, or just those who worship guns! (Not trying to give offence, just seeing things from a different perspective.)

GT, ask yourself why should the military or police be the only ones with the authority to own a weapon. Our 2nd amendment gives us this right so citizens should have the same power. Like I've said before, What if the Jews had weapons when the Nazi's went door to door in the ghetto? We recently had an ex-cop running around town killing people. I was glad to have a weapon, just in case.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Here is another perspective on the issue, one not seen often.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/9RABZq5IoaQ?feature=player_embedded

Amazing video that all should watch and ponder. As I've said before, training and background checks should be the only obstacle to gun ownership.

I HAD NO IDEA THAT THERE WERE SO MANY BLACK LEADERS WHO SUPPORTED GUN RIGHTS. Interesting mention of "how many white REPUBLICANS were lynched" in the civil rights era.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God and guns? I sure am glad I don't hear that kind of nonsense very often. That's calls to mind many of the corrosive problems that we see in the Middle East.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Coboard, in no way was I suggesting you, or any in your community are not responsible people.

We are both aware of the necessity to contain and control the bad elements in our human nature, either by self, or state enforced discipline. In my early teens a few of us were catapult caveliers. Non of us wished to harm any creature but, inevitably, birds in flight or just sitting atop chimney pots were too tempting a target. We knew there was little chance of hitting them, but it was fun just to startle them by whizzing stones past them. By a fluke, I hit one which fluttered down to the ground and crashed. I picked the poor thing up and had to watch it gasping for breath, with a trickle of blood from its beak, before dying. 60 years later I still vivdly remember every little detail, and how helpless and sad I felt about what I'd done to the tiny thing. That experience cured me forever of wishing to harm another living thing!

But there are many who are quite sadistic by nature. In the film Schindlers List, who can forget the scene where the bored commander of the Jewish Ghetto, sitting working at his desk, picked up his rifle, flung open the window overlooking the compound, and shot the first Jew who happened to be passing? (Having relieved his boredom, he then sat back down and went about his work.)

I believe many in Western society are not so far removed from such an extreme. That was proven in Nazi Germany where, for example, 'ordinary' German soldiers slaughtered every person in that French village before retreating. Doesn't it still stand today, as a reminder? Do we imagine similar can't happen today?

That is why I am anti gun, and want nothing to do with them.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chandler, this has nothing to do with God, and everything to do with not trusting the govt.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard, didn't you watch techno900's video? You might want to do that to keep up.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you guys are assuming media people know a military sniper rifle from a Derringer from a USAF Vulcan cannon which spews out up to 6,600 rounds per minute at 3,450 fps. That's giving most of them WAY too much credit, as most national media wankers ARE wankers and live out their lives in big coastal cities. One or another of them proves their collective stupidity every day or two. Ya don't take one damned thing ANY of them says about ANY important issue without knowing or verifying it independently. After all, how important can the third decimal point be? .22 vs .223 ... who cares?

The tank that gets hit by it, for one. Which of these "22s" would you prefer to get hit by?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 90, 91, 92 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 91 of 331

Jump to: