myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Setup for a beginner
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe windsurfer here from Montreal

looks like many of us will be at Sandbar this summer
for two(2) years my w/s buddy and i have said we would go there
Helmut went there once and loved it !!!
hope to see you dudes there !!!

could even bring extra stuff 4 RSPvideo Smile
stick em on my old Dufour Laughing
RSPvideo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I never expected to many responses so quickly! You guys are awesome. Thanks for the advice.

I have taken a couple lessons, but that was probably 10 years ago. I'll have to see if there are lessons around here, or try to link up with somebody in the area that would be willing to show me the ropes.

Am I crazy to want to start with gear that isn't for beginners? I'm pretty savvy on a board - surfing, SUPing, snowboarding, ect... and I have a decent understanding of wind. I have an entire rack of wetsuits, all different thicknesses, gloves, and boots from surfing, and I have plenty of life preservers from sailing. So it looks like I just need the hard goods.

After reading all your comments I think I need to get my feet wet before I purchase something. Maybe one of the many sailing clubs offers rentals or lessons. Hopefully see some of you at Sandbar this summer, unless the water is nasty again...

beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSPvideo wrote:

Am I crazy to want to start with gear that isn't for beginners?

Well that thread has been done before, so essentially you are trying to skip the entire uphauling phase which has been accomplished by a few young fit people. You will need quite a bit of wind.
Why don't you put a mast track on one of your SUP's, the tail rocker is not good for sailing flatwater but it will work fine up to a certain speed. Idea
RSPvideo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:

Well that thread has been done before, so essentially you are trying to skip the entire uphauling phase which has been accomplished by a few young fit people. You will need quite a bit of wind.
Why don't you put a mast track on one of your SUP's, the tail rocker is not good for sailing flatwater but it will work fine up to a certain speed. Idea

Haha ok, I'll see what I can dig up in old threads. Probably not best to skip a learning phase. Sounds like a great way to develop bad habits. Lessons and rentals seem like the best way to start for me.

Thanks again for the advice.

capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:

stick em on my old Dufour Laughing

Worlds worst learning board!
bmoore98

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is plenty to learn in your first year of windsurfing. It is fun and very challenging. Using beginner gear will allow you to accomplish your learning objectives with a minimum of frustration. You'll have way more fun on your beginner gear than you think. Buy appropriate gear used and you'll get your money back out of it when you're ready to move up.
bmoore98

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is plenty to learn in your first year of windsurfing. It is fun and very challenging. Using beginner gear will allow you to accomplish your learning objectives with a minimum of frustration. You'll have way more fun on your beginner gear than you think. Buy appropriate gear used and you'll get your money back out of it when you're ready to move up.
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will certainly enjoy this reference guide from Instruction to
Community on your quest to learn windsurfing:

https://sites.google.com/site/learnersguidetowindsurfing/Home
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSPvideo wrote:
Am I crazy to want to start with gear that isn't for beginners?

Basically, yes. Although you shouldn't automatically associate longboard with beginner board and shortboard with advanced board.

You wouldn't be the first person who thought their skills at other sailing and boardsports would allow them to go straight to shortboard windsurfing. And you wouldn't be the first person who realized they were totally wrong after a horrible afternoon of not being able to even sail three feet on a windsurfing shortboard. Smile

Part of the problem isn't even a beginner vs. advanced thing- it's just the fact that suitable conditions to use a shortboard are rare. Even if you're an expert, the typical shortboard is virtually unusable until the wind is at least a steady 15 mph and coming from a sideshore or onshore direction. That doesn't happen every day. Especially not on a lake.

The other part of the problem is that to make a shortboard get up and go you have to be able to supply it with a massive amount of perfectly steady and balanced power from the sail. It takes a lot practice on a longboard in gradually stronger and stronger winds to learn that sail power and control. And even then it's tough to transfer those skills to a shortboard, where you have to worry much more about balance and weight distribution at the same time.

Also, to get you off the "has to be a shortboard!" thing, not all big longboards are "beginner" boards. Some are specialized all-wind racing boards that have endless high performance potential for you to tap into as your skills improve. They are expensive to buy new, but you could get a used one, like a Mistral Equipe, for next to nothing.

rangerider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even going from longboard sailing to a shortboard is hard, starting on a shortboard would be miserable. When I bought my shortboard I actually shelved it for a whole year and went back and learned to sail my longboard before getting back and learning to use the short board. It is very tempting to go right to the shortboard (how hard can it be - you're fit, have good balance and know how to sail) because it looks more exciting and you have to have somewhere to put the big beginner board. Anyway, don't skip the beginner phase - it will be fun with the right equipment and you will then have fun short board sailing as well. In my case my short board was too big a gap (too small) relative to my longboard and that has slowed my progression in windsurfing. I think if you plan on turning your gear over as you progress and are smart in buying used or closeout gear you will have more fun and progress faster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: