myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dangerous Dog Poop and Unstable Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shock. Isobars bragging about his violent side.
tomg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On top of the fact that some of the dog owners are going to be self-centered jerks, you have the fact that most dog owners think & treat their dogs as though they are their children. Calling a dog owner on the dog's bad behavior is [perceived] like making an insulting comment to a parent about their child. (Try going to a Little League game, no an East Oakland soccer game!, make some cutting remarks about how well their little sprouts play ball and see if you can get out alive.)

This past six months I occasionally took my dog to Crissy. He's a fat lab who loves to swim and I'm getting into the SUP thing so it worked out. But here's the thing: he doesn't like being on the beach that much because even HE thinks there are too many dogs down there! Seriously, he was unnerved by the dog party mayhem. I'm not sure how to manage the issue but what about cordoning off a part of the [east] beach for off-leash?

And if my dog so much as looked at a sail or kite to pee on, I'd be apologizing profusely and offering to fetch the owner a beer!

Tomg
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NPS has proposed some very reasonable guidelines for off leash areas including an almost one mile long section of beach from just west of the East Beach all the way to the old Coast Guard station. This was roundly rejected by the Crissy Field Dog groups and their allies. The misinformation these groups spread is reprehensible and the shouting down of those who disagree with them in public meetings was childish.

The reason I say don't back down is that their latest argument is that Crissy Field has been a de facto off leash zone for years (while they tie this all up in the courts.) Make your displeasure known. As I said, most of the dog owners down there are pretty cool but this vocal minority needs to be put in its place.
Riptide

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recieved a nice friendly email from the crissy field dog group in responce to my email to them.

hi jf,

we are glad that we you have brought your concern to our attention. and of course we take these issues very seriously. actually, we have been having some of our members talking to other people who have dogs around these issues. feces from any mammal is unhealthy and we take your concerns seriously. we will continue to work on this issue from our end.

and i am glad that you brought up about other user groups at crissy field too. we are very concerned about the number and speed of bicyclists at crissy which is out of control. i saw two people get knocked over by speedy bicyclists on the promenade last week. both times the bicyclists zoomed away.

we have asked the ggnra numerous times to convene a recreation committee to address these kinds of issues so all of the user groups can work together on viable solutions. to date, the ggnra has not been open to this request.

best, martha

My letter to the dog group:

Hello, I have seen no improvement of the conduct of the dog owners at east beach Crissy field area. I would like you to have volunteer docents out there educating people as to the current GGNRA Dog Policy.http://www.nps.gov/goga/parkmgmt/pets.htm

Even though rangers may not be ticketing at east beach parking lot and pick nick area following the current rules would go along way to get along with other user groups.

I just came off the water yesterday and had my new 10 m Kite on the grass and two old fat brown labs walked over to my kite and one lifted his leg to mark my kite, but instead took a shit on it and the turds rolled down the canopy leaving brown streaks on my kite. The own apologized, picked up the turds and left me with dog shit streaks on my kite.

This could have been avoided if the owner had his dogs on leash.

Two weeks ago a dog walked over a windsurfers sail and was mentioned to the dog owner and the dog owner threatened the windsurfers.

The rigging area is mostly dried up dog shit now with some dirt and grass.

Thank You.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyer wrote:
I have been windsurfing and walking my dogs at chrissy for over 20 years and it is true that some dog owners fail to properly control their dogs. It is also true that some kiters don't know how to handle their kites on the beach, does that mean we should ban kites because a few kiters don't know how to control their kites? I have seen idiot kiters at chrissy, but I don't think all kiters should be banned because of the stupidity of a few, and I feel the same about off leash dogs. Most dogs at chrissy are well behaved as are most kiters and sailors. ...

Never had a problem with a dog at Crissy in 25 years, but certainly had a bunch of close calls with Kiters and witnessed how frequently some Kiters occupy large areas of the public beach apparently oblivious of people passing by, or sun bathing, or kids playing.

So I agree with Meyer, no ban of dogs, but I still think that Kiters should have a small dedicated area where to lunch west of the lagoon outlet. And I say this for the benefit of the kiters: people are litigious (just look at this thread: kiters against dogs, kiters and dog owners against biyclists ... ) and it would not take much to see Kiting banned from Crissy.
Riptide

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nps.gov/goga/parkmgmt/foia-reading.htm

half way down you can read many incidents on the record.

•2007 Incident Reports Pet-Leash, 93 pages,
Redacted & Released (PDF, 4.86MB)
•2008 Incident Reports Pet-Leash, 880 pages,
Redacted & Released (PDF, 46MB)
•2009 Incident Reports, Pet-Leash, 771 pages,
Redacted & Released (PDF, 46MB)
•2010 Incident Reports, Pet-Leash 673 pages,
Redacted & Released (PDF, 39MB)
•2010 Incident Reports, Pet-Leash 220 Pages (Additional Entries),
Redacted & Released (PDF, 12.4M
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiters are already leashed.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally witnessed events related to loose dogs include:
A gutted pet.
Bitten children, one resulting in ban of owner from park.
Bitten adult.
Physical assault of friend on (former) friend.
Many damaged sails.
Several threats to kill aggressive dogs.
Police reports of dog bites, which = dead dog and jailed owner around here.
Vicious dog holding unarmed Corps ranger at bay.
Dog crap being returned to owner in a variety of ways.

I'm sure Google would reveal a few -- thousand -- more incidents.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crissy is a crowded place, in a crowded city. Kiters, windsurfers, picnics , bikes, beer tankers, etc. shit happens. Deal with it. I'm a dog lover / windsurfer and most are responsible , that's good. If dog owners really bother you , maybe should take up meditation, you'd be shocked how tolerant of others you become . Always take the high road , it's easier .
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woof Bogs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: