myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Let's say I have some firearms that were purchased 30-40 years ago (various sources) and I now want to sell one.

What are the chances that the HIPAA records will be available in a national data base?

A man disappeared from his home recently, triggering a significant search and lots of publicity. After days of this, a hospital worker risked her job by phoning the distraught family and illegally admitting that "Psst; he's here in the hospital, disabled by [some medical problem I forget]. We are forbidden by HIPAA to reveal that information".

That's blanking ridiculous ... as is the VA's refusal to "reveal" my medical lab test results to me unless I drive there and demand them in person

Selling unregistered guns will be a huge mistake, for many reasons, when registration becomes mandatory.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
techno900 wrote:
Let's say I have some firearms that were purchased 30-40 years ago (various sources) and I now want to sell one.

What are the chances that the HIPAA records will be available in a national data base?

A man disappeared from his home recently, triggering a significant search and lots of publicity. After days of this, a hospital worker risked her job by phoning the distraught family and illegally admitting that "Psst; he's here in the hospital, disabled by [some medical problem I forget]. We are forbidden by HIPAA to reveal that information".

That's blanking ridiculous ... as is the VA's refusal to "reveal" my medical lab test results to me unless I drive there and demand them in person

Selling unregistered guns will be a huge mistake, for many reasons, when registration becomes mandatory.

Mr. Ficktion is spreading false information to buoy his self importance again.

HIPAA does NOT protect a person's identity per se. Thus, if I call a hostpital to see if my wife was admitted or in the ER, they are free to say yes. In general, unauthorized sharing of specific medical information is what HIPAA covers. Thus, a nurse who calls a family known to be looking for a loved one or a ward may state that the patient is in the care of the facility but may not usually state the nature of the condition other absent the patient's written authorization.

The eternally outraged may find this problematic. Let's ask Mike if he's OK with the VA releasing his medical records to anyone who asks. I trust we know the answer.

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew Dan was full of shit again, so I looked.
Same old same old.
I can't imagine how he makes a living in a profession where facts allegedly matter.

DanWeiss wrote:
Mr. Ficktion is spreading false information to buoy his self importance again.

Let's ask Mike if he's OK with the VA releasing his medical records to anyone who asks. I trust we know the answer.

Just a few of MANY news stories on the missing man:
http://tinyurl.com/a76m9c5 .
SALEM, ORE. (AP) - An 81-year-old Salem man was safe in a hospital while friends and police searched for him for two days this week after he disappeared from his home _ but medical workers wouldn’t tell police that, citing a federal privacy law. Eventually, an anonymous tipster told police the diabetic man was in Salem Hospital

http://tinyurl.com/ax24v9f
Quote: "Officers contacted area hospitals to see whether Dill was a patient, and Salem Hospital officials wouldn't say, citing the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, known as HIPAA, "

Another:
http://tinyurl.com/aj27lko
Opening statement: "SALEM, Ore. -- Police were searching for a missing man for two days until they realized Thomas Dill wasn’t missing at all. He had been in the hospital for a week and a half following a car crash. Staffers at Salem Hospital failed to inform police of this crucial piece of information because of a federal privacy law. HIPAA, or Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, limits what information medical personnel can release to the public and police."

Spin that all you want, Dan, but you're still a lawyer to the bone, and that's not a compliment; it's a factual personal attack based on your posts.

20 years of eating crow, yet STILL you people NEVER learn that claiming I make stuff up leaves you with rotten egg on your faces.

You, OTOH, DO make stuff up, just as Coboardhead and everyone else on my shit list incessantly does; it's a major reason you're all there. Show us where I said or implied I wanted my medical records released to anyone who asks. But when I cannot get an urgent medical test result regarding a life-threatening ailment out of the VA via the FOI Act, myhealthevet, or ebenefits, and have to drive 15 to 50 miles each way to do it in person, the system is broken.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars, I can agree with you 100% here: the system is broken. Especially our so called "health care system", which it is not. There is far too much profit in managing symptoms of disease. The last thing the pharmaceutical companies want, and maybe many doctors as well, is cures for degenerative disease. Cure a patient loose a customer! 2.8 trillion dollars to be spent on "health care" this year, with the average familly of 4 paying close to $20,000 a year for "prefered" health care insurance. This is nothing short of an extortion racket in my oppion.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone on this forum that thinks the government has YOUR best interests at heart, you are crazy. Greed is what makes the world go round, and enhances innovation.

If you want to completely kill innovation, let's go with a single payer system world-wide. It doesn't work unless everyone does it.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back when my mom had a hip replacement surgery, I called the hospital to find out if she had completed surgery, and asked if I could talk with her. The hospital representative said that my mom was out of surgery, but she was still in the recovery room. They suggested calling a bit later and gave me her room number. Later, when I called, I had no problem reaching my mom.

Yet, based on isobars' story about man in Salem, OR, one would believe that there is a systemic problem with contacting medical facilities to gain basic information because of HIPAA requirements. Does anyone really believe this is a significant problem where the government is unfairly screwing with us?

Ironically, isobars is totally frustrated because the VA won't cooperate with his every whim. If the truth be told, they're probably just screwing with him because of his history of being notoriously negative person with a bad attitude.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to greed (whatever that means), profits, etc. is simple incompetence, whatever the cause. I've had a nationally acclaimed radiation oncologist feed me dangerous BS her own references shot down, a VA doc ignored my prostate cancer until it escaped and WILL end my life, I've had a doctor prescribe a dangerous wide-spectrum antibiotic for a simple overreaction to a dab of hand lotion in my eye, and I've caught 10-20 doctors making 15-25 mistakes between those extremes. I no longer trust any physicians 90%, and that will mushroom as Obamacare continues to destroy U.S. medicine's quality and costs. Sadly, BSNBC watchers, both of whom vote, don't even know what I'm talking about.
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Every LEO in the nation should be burying NY Governor Cuomo, his AG, and his state congress with that statement. He's going to lose some cops and victims because of his 7-round limit.

I don't know what happens in any new laws but Calif limited the mags a few years ago (don't know if they still do) and LEO weapons were exempted.
pointster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Just a few of MANY news stories on the missing man:
http://tinyurl.com/a76m9c5 .
SALEM, ORE. (AP) - An 81-year-old Salem man was safe in a hospital while friends and police searched for him for two days this week after he disappeared from his home _ but medical workers wouldn’t tell police that, citing a federal privacy law. Eventually, an anonymous tipster told police the diabetic man was in Salem Hospital

I followed the link and read that story in The Washington Times. It reference a story in The Statesman Journal. On page two of the SJ story I found the following quote"

"According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services website, health care providers known as covered entities can disclose limited information to law enforcement for the “purposes of identifying or locating a suspect, fugitive, material witness or missing person.”"

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/

These stories more properly should have been headlined "Poor training on HIPAA Hampered Salem Police Searching for Missing Man".

It is also interesting that The Washington Times story said "Health care providers such as hospitals can release limited information to police, but only in certain circumstances, such as when doctors suspect child abuse or a person is the subject of a criminal investigation.", neglecting the provision for locating missing persons, which was clearly the point of the police inquiry in this case.

So Mike, I don't think you made anything up, but you also didn't do a very extensive job of checking primary sources. I think this is a case of confirmation bias.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can ascertain just because someone is admitted to a hospital it does not mean the hospital knows or even cares if the patient's loved ones are notified and in fact it may be the case that they are prevented from being notified thanks to the lawyers.
If the police finally get around to contacting individual hospitals they 'may" let them know the missing person is there depending upon who the police talk to and how the hospital Nazi's interpret the law.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 85 of 331

Jump to: