myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2013 US Windsurfing Nationals
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: 2013 US Windsurfing Nationals Reply with quote

ATTENTION RACERS!

The website for the 2013 US Windsurfing Nationals is up & running, check it out!

www.2013windsurfingnationals.com

capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spennie, big thanks to you and Peter and everyone else involved in organizing this event.

2 questions. Firstly, does the event include slalom? The home page says "The 2013 Nationals will feature course racing for Formula, One Design and Open Class Windsurfers." Later on it says "2013 Nationals will also feature Freestyle competition." But no mention of slalom on the home page.

Secondly, how do I get a sail number?

Thanks!
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there will be slalom! If you look near the top just under the US Windsurfing National Championships, you'll see a line written in red. I'll talk to Debi and see if I can get her to straighten out any confusion. Thanks for the heads up; if anyone finds anything else wrong be sure and let us know.

Contact US Windsurfing (.org) about your number.

windward1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: What kind of Boards are acceptable in the Open-OD/LB Reply with quote

Hi Spennie,

What kind of boards are acceptable in the Open -One Design/Longboard category?

Windward1
spennie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I just do graphics, and Debi builds websites. For questions of this type you'll need to contact Peter Bonello, Race Director, peter@uswindsurfing.org
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of Boards are acceptable in the Open-OD/LB Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Hi Spennie,

What kind of boards are acceptable in the Open -One Design/Longboard category?

Windward1

Hi, here's a pretty good guess, so you get a decent idea... but don't make any HUGE plans (financial decisions) till you confirm with the race director.

* Any kinda board is fine in Open class, from wave board to 80's longboards (some, which might do very well).
* One Design? The most popular One Design racing these days, is, the Kona One board and rig. And One Design racing often may have a few unique rules, just for it. The Kona One is a good, versatile, longboard with a great wind range like many longboards.
* Other longboards can also race in Open class, but not in One Design.
* Any shortboards can race in most all the races as well.
* Formula Boards (formula windsurfing, FW)... is also basically a one design class as well. Except there are many brands.

Did I answer your question... or are you more confused Smile
Greg -
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Nationals Reply with quote

Hi gregnw44,

No. That helps. I am thinking of going. Have an old Bic Techno 283 that might somewhat work for the Open Class. Probably won't do well against the Kona Ones unless the wind comes up.

Thanks for the info and clarifications.

Windward1
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant believe I just sold my Techno 293... The only board that I could jibe well on ...shucks lol
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, glad that was "some help",,, and those Bic Techno's will be fine to race with. Like I said, you can use anything... especially for the slalom, if it's windy, any kinda shortboard will work.

It's very fun... in the back half of the fleet... we stay out of the way of the good competitive guys/gals for the start... and then we fall at some of the jibe buoys. So anyway... if you can sail whatever shortboard you have, BAF and make most your jibes... you'll learn some new things and have fun doing the races.

The other 3 disciplines listed are Course racing, Long distance, and Freestyle. Course racing will be much longer than slalom and will have upwind legs. So THAT, takes a bit more technique and gear that will go upwind (in whatever wind you have).
Long distance "could be" any kinda gear, depends on the wind strength and what direction the course is.
Freestyle - yeah, you know about that.
You can look at examples of all thes types of windsurfing races on youtube. just remember you don't need the same kinda gear as pros.
Greg Smile
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Racing Reply with quote

Hi gregnw44,

I think the Techno 283 used to be a one-design racing class. I think the Kona Ones eclipsed it.

Anyway, the course, long distance, and slalom all sound like possibilities.

I am assuming that the long distance is not out to Santa Catalina and back......

Windward1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: