myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
fins retainer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://0.tqn.com/w/experts/Surfing-Windsurfing-2074/2008/10/damaged-displaced-housing.jpg

if this is such an issue , should it be addressed with board AND fin suppliers ?
we already have about 4 different fin bases
maybe there can be a NEW universal one that will NOT come out
then again - that could damage the board %^&*(
someone once said - i am glad when my fin rips out - least expensive damage

a keel slides through a slot on many sailboats
could this principle be applied to a sailboard fin ??
perhaps for the longer race fins ...

so, perhaps the only option is to have a retainer ??
i once was trying to determine how to put a depth device on the board Smile
usually when they beep , it's too late anyway Sad
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the fin could drop in from above and snap in place or be held by some sort of clip or retainer that could snap off if you hit something then the fin could pop up and just be snapped back in place.
Makes too much sense, it'll never happen.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why depend on others? If you want to create a new finbox and fin base design that is a superior product, what's stopping you? If you invent something and everyone wants it, you could become one of the next millionaires in the industry.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weeds..? no problem, logs just firewood, fish...whats for dinner ?

someone drops in on your wave..no problem, sharks no problem

new meaning to short compact

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Not really.
Oftentimes, Tuttle fins don't use a slug, just threaded fiberglass, which can slowly strip without you knowing it, then just let's go all of a sudden.
As I have posted previously, you can install plugs in Tuttle box fins. All it requires is a drill press and careful workmanship. In fact, I have a portable drill press gizmo which attaches to a hand drill and would work. Except once when an A-box fin broke at the tab in surf, I have only lost fins in the shallows when beach starting to begin a session. (I didn't loose the A-box fin, either) It was strictly the case of not screwing it in tightly enough. Using weeders in questionable situations has helped me a lot. Once when sailing in Florida that cold winter when so many fish had died and were floating around on the surface, I saw a guy hit one, "hook-up" and catapult. At that point I changed to a weeder. I have a Lessacher and two hydrotech weeders that are tuttle fins. Last year I bought a Bic Blast, which has a Tuttle Box, fixed it up, and had to continue to buy Tuttle fins. All except one has brass plugs. (We get so soon old and so late smart.)
keycocker wrote:
In Belize we sail from island to island through unmapped coral reefs so we do clinics on sailing with no fin.
First of all, I have tried sailing without a fin and do not want to be faced with a challenge like that again. Secondly, I have never sailed in uncharted waters replete with coral reefs, but would imagine that if you used a weedfin, you might be able to avoid the first. Your fin would get mangled and chewed up if grounded, but perhaps you could sail over the reef or at least have something akin to a fin left after such an accident. It does seem that a trimbox weeder might be the best alternative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: