myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARRRGGGHHH!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better yet why does every windsurfing video start with 5 minutes of some schmuck driving his car, then schlepping his gear and rigging???!!! Mad
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
Better yet why does every windsurfing video start with 5 minutes of some schmuck driving his car, then schlepping his gear and rigging???!!! Mad

Laughing like this one? Laughing

http://www.windsport.com/videos_display/video:7653/Waiting-for-the-Cove

Isn't driving around looking for the best spot, and then tweaking equipment somewhere around 80% of how a windsurfer spends their day? Very Happy Laughing

http://wind-nc.com
paulf.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless it is some super secret spot, then you don't get to see the drive.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hodad.andy wrote:
Isn't driving around looking for the best spot, and then tweaking equipment somewhere around 80% of how a windsurfer spends their day? Very Happy Laughing

Not any more. It was like that in the '90s, but now we just let iW data solve both problems for us.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Not any more. It was like that in the '90s, but now we just let iW data solve both problems for us.

Thank You, iW!!

Unfortunately, in the case of my video, the area is super secluded and often has it's own little micro climate, so you kinda just have to be there... There are multiple wind meters within 2 or 3 miles but more often than not they don't tell the whole story. And the closest webcams don't show the swell conditions at all, either... It's not the end of the Earth, but you can see it from there!

http://wind-nc.com
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"AARRRGGGHHH!!"
The last time Spennie made that sound, Debi was passing him. (I think she was on a 5.6.) Very Happy
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hodad.andy wrote:
Unfortunately, in the case of my video, the area is super secluded and often has it's own little micro climate, so you kinda just have to be there ...

We have that problem around here, too ... spots too seldom used to even to begin to warrant sensors, yet worth checking out. But, MAN, I'll never forget the asinine driving around we had to do in the '90s, let alone the 80s. OTOH, the sensors almost guarantee crowds if only one spot is going off. The days of having Doug's or The Wall to yourself for 6 hours on a fantastic summer day are history.
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Saying what size sail you used states a fact. A wind speed would be a guess unless you're a 1%er standing on the shore with a wind meter or reading a speed on the Internets from some sensor??

Can I tell you about the volume of my board. That's a good one too.

I agree, asking somebody what the wind speed is that they estimated is very subjective. And if you need the speed that bad, get an Iwindsurf app for your phone and you will have it. I prefer the sail size. But even that isn't an exact science. The sailor could be the same size as you on the same sized board, yet still prefer a different sail size. Way too many personal preferences in the sport. A sail size is an absolute (says right on the sail unless it is a Northwave) and from there you can at least "guess" what you would like to be on....

Personally right about now I would be more concerned with the water and air temperature up here in the gorge......
outhaul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hodad.andy wrote:
beaglebuddy wrote:

Laughing like this one? Laughing

http://www.windsport.com/videos_display/video:7653/Waiting-for-the-Cove

Funny. Very color coordinated too. Nice video.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:

No kidding! It’s the same for skiing, snowboarding, and surfing videos: 5 min. of these guys driving around doing the most inane, boring, stupid ish that clearly someone dumber than a bag o’ hammers told them was funny (and they believed it).
After watching enough of these videos, I think I rather have my daughter date a musician rather than a pro surfer/skier/snowboarder/windsurfer. …….and, no, I don’t want my daughter to date a musician.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: