myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sequestration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know one answer. The news cycle is controlled by its conservative bosses in a way that panders to the news that people are willing to watch or read in order to maximize profits.
More folks are willing to watch gay marriage news than financial news.
That is also why they would rather hear Limbaugh tell outrageous lies about the opinions of Dem. Congressman than hear the actual pol state his actual opinion on C Span
The preference ratio of those listeners is about 10,000 to 1.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read it and weep Bard, it is not media coverage, but extreme Republican policy proposals that is the problem.

Quote:
A majority of Americans believe that Republicans are "out of touch" with the mainstream of the country and "too extreme," according to a new Pew Research Center poll released Tuesday.

The poll found that 62 percent of all Americans — including 36 percent of Republicans — think the party is out of touch. That's 16 points higher than the percentage of people who thought the same about Democrats.

Respondents also blasted the GOP as "too extreme." A majority, or 52 percent, of those polled said that phrase describes the Republican Party, 13 points higher than the Democratic Party.

The GOP image is at its lowest point in nearly two decades:

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/pew-poll-republicans-obama-sequester-fiscal-cliff-debt-extreme-2013-2#ixzz2MP21tpNF

We still need what the Republican party used to be--professionals who understood what the role of government had to be--and what it could not do well. The death of that thinking began with Pete Schabarum, who proposed term limits that ended professionalism in politics and legislative staff and turned over much of the power in governance to lobbyists--whose only interest is looting the corpse. Apparently he has some regrets: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/california-politics/2012/02/pete-schabarum-california-term-limits.html
mac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Woodward that Obama moved the goalposts. But I have seen the Republicans constantly move the goalposts. Perhaps they are too uninformed to know? Interesting blog this: this-is-why-obama-cant-make-a-deal-with-republicans

Quote:
My column this weekend is about the almost comically poor lines of communication between the White House and the Hill. The opening anecdote was drawn from a background briefing I attended with a respected Republican legislator who thought it would be a gamechanger for President Obama to say he’d be open to chained CPI — a policy that cuts Social Security benefits — as part of a budget deal.

The only problem? Obama has said he’s open to chained CPI as part of a budget deal. And this isn’t one of those times where the admission was in private, and we’re going off of news reports. It’s right there on his Web site. It’s literally in bold type. But key GOP legislators have no idea Obama’s made that concession.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of information swirling around Washington. I'm not sure your average congressman is even interested. It is incumbent upon the news media to outline each sides positions and facilitate a deal between the 2 sides. Just think if Scott Peley did the Lou Dobbs chalkboard on these big issues.

I don't like Obama's style. I didn't like Bush's return to the Crusades. Bush could have been a pretty good prez if he had taken a more reasonable stance on things.

Our only hope is Rand Paul, Rubio, and Jebb Bush work together to turn the Republican party around.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
It is incumbent upon the news media to outline each sides positions and facilitate a deal between the 2 sides.

Every news outlet has that option. The only one that comes withing a light year of doing so is Fox.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that is not what is needed, but you may be right.
The media is supposed to be getting political news FROM the pols and sending it on to us in a format we will listen to so we stay on the couch and watch soap ads in the process.
The GOP has stopped representing conservatives and now only represents lobbyists.
There is nothing wrong with core conservative values. Most liberals find them acceptable if not preferable.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
There is a lot of information swirling around Washington. I'm not sure your average congressman is even interested. It is incumbent upon the news media to outline each sides positions and facilitate a deal between the 2 sides. Just think if Scott Peley did the Lou Dobbs chalkboard on these big issues.

I don't like Obama's style. I didn't like Bush's return to the Crusades. Bush could have been a pretty good prez if he had taken a more reasonable stance on things.

Our only hope is Rand Paul, Rubio, and Jebb Bush work together to turn the Republican party around.

Steve .....if "our only hope" is Rand Paul, and Marco "sippee cup" Rubio, then I'll short the US right now.
But today, lets enjoy the ALL TIME HIGH in the DOW. I work hard, and put my scooby snacks in the market....I dont need the clown show trio above....maybe you do.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In light of the fact that I've never really followed local Florida politics, I know very little about Jeb Bush, but seeing Rand Paul and Marco Rubio on the national stage has not been a positive experience. It gave me an opportunity to better understand where they where coming from. They may be younger Republicans, but they both have their roots in the bankrupt policies and hardline ideological positions that have defined Republicans for a number of years now. Nothing new there. I have to give Rubio credit for recognizing the importance of resolving our illegal immigration issues, but I still don't see the strong leadership qualities that will win him the mainline support of Republicans on this issue, particularly those in southern red states.

Bard, your search for something credible and new in the future of the Republican Party reminds me of the dialog coming out from the right about the band of Republican contenders during the 2012 Republican presidential primary process. You might want to go back and review some of the hopes and wishes you expressed about some of those candidates at the time. If I remember correctly, at one point in time you even had a lot of enthusiasm for Governor Perry's candidacy.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said before that if Jeb ran in 2012, he might have won. He is a reasonable , moderate person, as is Chris Christie. Yet the stars are still Palin, Perry, Romney, Newt, Rand and Marco. Its mind boggling.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
I've said before that if Jeb ran in 2012, he might have won. He is a reasonable , moderate person, as is Chris Christie. Yet the stars are still Palin, Perry, Romney, Newt, Rand and Marco. Its mind boggling.

It's a sign that the Republican party has lost sight of who/what it is.

Jeb isn't extreme enough for "the base." We watched Mitt go through unbelievable contortions as he attempted to convince voters that he was part of the far-right extreme "severely" conservative fringe -- but he simply made himself look foolish with all his conflicting nonsensical assertions and positions. He tried too hard to appeal to every political point of view.

The danger with Jeb is his genetic connection to the Bush family and its ties back to the neo-cons. But I could seriously consider voting for Christie, depending on who the Dems run in '16.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: