myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hello from Traverse City Michigan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cleatus_Fathom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Hello from Traverse City Michigan Reply with quote

Finally decided to make an account and join the site after lurking around for awhile.

I started windsurfing this past fall and I'm now officially hooked. I'm lucky enough to live on a lake and near west/east bay so I was able to go out sailing almost everyday. Currently I've got an original windsurfer which i spend about two weeks learning the basics before craving something else and picked up an old mistral Maui with a couple 90's ezzy sails. I've been having a lot of fun on that board and have progressed to planing getting into the straps. I can't wait for spring to get here so I can start sailing again.

Is there anybody on here from the northern lower peninsula?
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Cleatus! Glad to hear you have gotten hooked on this great sport. Sounds like you are making very good progress. I started in the "80's on longboards like you have and still own and use one, an F2 Strato. You probably get more windy days than we get here in Ct., but our season is a bit longer, you must get some wicked cold winters. Anyhow, I am also stoked for the upcoming season, this winter has been very windy, almost every day, but too cold. I'm hoping the winds continue into the spring and summer.

Longboards are great, they increase your time on the water greatlly and help you to hone your skills. Sound like you'll be ready for a shortboard soon. Sail safe!

Hope you find some mates to sail with locally. Always comforting to know someone else is there if you have trouble.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is a link to a "Michigan Windsurfing" website that should be helpful: http://miwindsurfing.com/

Ted Schweitzer, son of one of windsurfer's inventors runs a series of Original Windsurfer races from Traverse City MI. Contact information for him is listed in the 2013 MOWIND event calendar which is located at the following link:
http://www.mowind.org/calendar/calendar.pdf

Welcome to windsurfing. It can be a year-round sport even in northern Michigan, if you are willing to put your rig on different kinds of boards that will handle ice or hard-packed snow or parking lots. And in the summer come to some MOWIND events.
Cleatus_Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually bought my sails from a guy on http://miwindsurfing.com, so I do know of a few people in the area who windsurf...hopefully I'll be able to get in touch with them this spring.

I've been researching a lot trying to decide what kind of new/newish board to get for this year. The Mistral Maui has been great, but I want something a little more stable for learning to do quicker gybes and tacks.

Thanks for the info about the Original Windsurfer Series. I'll have to look into that, it sounds like a lot of fun.

I plan on getting a wetsuit soon so that I have a much longer season. I'm anxiously waiting for the ice to melt so I can get out there. The ice fishing has been lousy anyway.
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that you've been hooked, Cleatus!

Now that you've been hooked, you're going to be hooked-in a lot!

iWindsurf's sister website, WindAlert, includes many more weather stations in Michigan. Here's the WindAlert map centered on Traverse City:
www.windalert.com/en-us/Search/ViewResults.aspx#44.763,-85.621,10,1

Have a killer season!
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cleatus, I'm glad you're having fun out there! Keep it up- it just gets better and better the more you do it! Save those pennies for a good suit- you'll triple your water time, easily. Ask some of your local guys what kind of thickness they wear.... My guess is at least a 5mm to get you though Spring and Fall.

http://wind-nc.com
Brian_S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleatus,
There are a few guys that sail the TC area, in addition to Ted Schweitzer, that are in the www.miwindsurfing.com group. Jump in and ask questions, or make some local connections by joining.
Also, there's a pilgrimage to Hatteras starting in April. Maybe there's some guys from your area going. You can jumpstart your season there.
Welcome to a great sport!

Brian
www.miwindsurfing.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: