myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Whats wrong with my Stance?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgomez

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Whats wrong with my Stance? Reply with quote

So I finally got a few days of amazing 20-30 knots winds and got the thrill of planing however my back leg started feeling like jello after a cple of hrs which got me wondering if my stance was a problem.

My stance for a downwind run is currently is straight front leg and a bent back leg...This leads my center of gravity to get pulled towards my back leg adding to more weight.

I basically look like im standing with all my weight on my back leg with my front leg sticking out.

Im wondering if I should be pulling back so much...(my body is in line with my back leg) or maybe I should not bend my back leg too much and adopt a more relaxed stance.

Thanks
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how overpowered you are and how deep downwind you're going. If you are heavily overpowered and sailing a broad reach, then you will likely have to take the bent back leg posture in order to keep from getting pitched over the handle bars. If the wind lightens up or you turn more to a beam reach, you can straighten out both legs. If you turn to pinch upwind, you will find that your back leg is straight and your front knee is bent.

Usually, if I'm sailing in high wind, I would spend about ten or fifteen minutes working my way upwind for a three to five minute leg burning downwind run. So unless you're planning on doing a downwinder to a different launch, the upwind sailing and beam reaches should give you a chance to rest your back legs.

The other issue would be if you're using a weed fin. Weed fins place the CE of the fin well aft of an upright fin, so they will put a lot more load on your back foot. You can offset that slightly by moveing your mast base forward a little.

sm

Last edited by bred2shred on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're doing it right, as back leg thigh burn (lactic acid accumulation) is part and parcel of flying downwind. Break it up and give that lactic acid some time to disperse with beam reaching and upwind runs, even if only for a few seconds or a minute. Besides, if it's gusty or the terrain gets big enough to trip over, a balanced and relaxed stance when ripping off downwind is a good way to get faceplanted. More leg presses and squats in the off season might help, too, in both strength and the conversion of that lactic acid to useful energy.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advise so far. Might I also suggest you try raising your booms
up a couple of inches and see if that doesn't distribute your weight more
evenly amongst your feet.

-Craig
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A balanced allaround stance....
Across the wind, feet evenly weighted.
Upwind, weight on front foot and harness lines.
Downwind, weight on back foot and harness lines.
It's the average of all the directions you can sail that makes it right.
rgomez

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...good to know im not on the wrong track here...I was going out for long downwind runs cause its the first time i had good wind.

I did try standing parallel to the board with my butt sticking out but I got naturally pulled to the back...and I also noticed I went faster and was more controlled when I pulled over the back.

However my doubts surface when I see windsurfers with their butts hanging over the water...mine seems to be more inward over the back end of the board....Maybe I visualizing myself wrong here..should probably shoot a cple of photos to see if im doing it right.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, it's only normal to take the back leg bent stance (weight over the back leg) when you're heavily overpowered downwind. It is a stance that provides control and prevents being pitched over the bars. If you aren't overpowered, then you should be in a normal stance where your legs are equally loaded for the most part and your body is out over the side of the board as far as possible.

sm
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bent back leg is really a straight front leg pushing the nose of the board downwind to counter the sail wanting to turn you upwind as the mast naturally rakes further back the faster you go.
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be a board and/or rig trimm issue for bearing too much downwind? Like mast foot too forward int the track? Boom position affects leg pressure. Strap positions etc...Try smaller fin as well.
Many times poorly balanced kit is the reason for being uncomfortable.
Check out this excellent guide for some ideas:
http://www.loftsails.com/2013/trim/

Last edited by adywind on Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's normal.
Notice on Formula boards, there is a or two center rear straps, for comfort and control.
No ONE stance can work for the different angles of sailing availible to you.
Just like sailing a sailboat, you have different positions for different angles of attack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: