myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
Here in Thailand there is little private ownership of guns... As a result the rate of gun killings is very low...

<sarcasm>

That's no excuse. Just think how low the rate would be if EVERYBODY owned handguns, assault rifles, RPGs, drones, nukes, and infinite ammo.

And if you had the NRA in Thailand, then the rate would be even lower -- maybe into negative numbers.

And all the Thai men (and women, too) would be super studly, just like Mikey.

</sarcasm>
mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early on I made this prediction:

Quote:
I will make a prediction to you overreaching conservatives. If you don't join the conversation, that President that can't lead but somehow got reelected and worked through a health care bill is going to roll you.

Today's news in California is a series of polls showing this kind of support for regulation of guns and ammunition:

Increase funding for confiscating felons' guns 83% support
Background check and permit to buy ammunition 75% support
Raise taxes on ammunition for anti-violence programs 61% support
Bar ammunition maganzines holding more than 10 rounds 58% support
Ban semi-automatics rifles 57% support
Opinion of the NRA leadership--45% unfavorable, 23% favorable.

If you don't advance the conversation--as Bard has done with thoughtful comments--you are part of the problem.
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

In just one of the one-day courses my wife and I are taking, we fired >500 rounds into targets. The AR-15 course shoots > 1200 per person.

Just targets and NO meat? Sounds kinda like masturbation to me.

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
the crazies buying up every round and weapon on the shelves, this is a real frenzy ... I must speculate that 3 to 1 righties are buying guns and ammo over lefties and gang bangers. ... Is Obama worried about a revolution? ... I don't think any polititian cares about people dying or they'd try to regulate pistols. There is something below the surface in this thing

It's not below the surface at all.
• NY state has effectively signed death warrants for some of its officers by limiting their handgun (and apparently assault weapon) magazines to 7 rounds. (It's been reported that it takes a cop 5 rounds, on average, to stop one aggressive perp.)
• Obama has publicly stated his alarming goals for the further restriction of guns, and has reportedly (by a very credible college classmate of his) said he does not think citizens should be allowed to own guns at all.
• The "assault weapons" ban he has asked for has been proven to do absolutely no good; it's strictly politics. That's why Bush let it lapse. In fact, the AR-15 is one of the very best home defense weapons, especially for women.
• Sen Boxer has proposed laws against guns with "military characteristics". Anyone who thinks that cannot and will never be construed to include magazines, semi-automatic action, any long gun grips beyond a simple shoulder stock, etc. is singing Kumbayah.
• Missouri has a bill before the legislature to confiscate AR-15s ... .223 rifles with a pistol grip. Uncompensated confiscation of private property, short of eminent domain, is against federal law, as is gun registration.

Nuthin' below the surface there.

I'd support your guess that conservatives ... and maybe the million liberal Fox viewers ... are tilting gun purchases towards the right. Generally speaking,
• The far left would rather sing Kumbaya than defend their children's lives. Many say so very explicitly; many others just hire bodyguards to do the dirty work.
• The left is self-admittedly and outspokenly non-religious or anti-religious, thus thus often lacks the moral values on which religions are based and from which laws are generally derived.
• The left clearly enjoys having Big Brother not only take care of them but micromanage their lives; that's the stated objective of their chosen political party and their only excuse for reelecting the wildest overspender in the history of the world. Never mind how often their blind reliance on Big Brother leaves them so clearly exposed to sociopaths with no regard for their lives. Conservatives and centrist liberals are smarter and more self-reliant than that.
• The right understands that the Constitution limits the powers of the government explicitly to prevent tyranny; the left thinks the Constitution is just some old white guys' outdated rules of thumb ... you know, like the Bible, the Torah, the Ten Commandments, the Koran, etc.
• The right, because they don't blindly believe the Democratic Party, ANY politician, or BSNBC, is much better informed about the economy, the function of our police (to arrest killers after the act), and the far left's putsch to reduce our rights to self defense.

So why is a person whose hobby is shooting for fun, competition, or hunting, or who wants to defend herself or her family, a "crazie"? Are the thousands of cops who want citizens armed because "when seconds count, the police are just (often >30) minutes away", crazy? How is shooting or collecting guns a less valid hobby than playing golf or collecting stamps?

Gold has gone insane over the past few years, beating just about any other investment category hands down. I can think of only one superior investment: if I had bought lead, in the form of ammunition, a year ago I could sell it now for twice what I paid for it ... with no capital gains taxes. If the REAL crazies are successful in significantly impacting gun rights, gun values ... and theft and armed robbery of our existing guns ... will skyrocket.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gun owners = 20% of the population. The rest want some level of rational regulation. Iso is working very effectively for the "we need regulation of crazies" side.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Iso is working very effectively for the "we need regulation of crazies" side.

Yeah, but . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . he's one of 'em.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He reminds me of that sidelined military Colonel Blimp character in the Columbo episode where Johnny Cash was under investigation.

The deluded old fool sat behind his desk all day, phone at hand, still waiting for Armaggedon and his hour of action.

Daft as a brush. (Both of them!)
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey wrote:

Gold has gone insane over the past few years...

As, apparently, have you.

I wonder... has gold also been collecting free cash disability payments for some trumped-up fick-tious reason?
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Bards input has been some of the best posts here lately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 74 of 331

Jump to: