myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Future of Windsurfing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spennie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Future of Windsurfing Reply with quote

I got an E-mail from [Enduro windsurf race organizer] stating there was not going to be an Enduro this year. Sorry, I just can’t do it, and you’re finding out why right now.

Nobody wants to give, they all just want to take. The sailors don’t care about the sport, they wouldn’t sign up early last year for fear of losing their precious $30. entry fee, and didn’t show up to support the event on raceday because the forecast was poor. If we had had 62 racers last year, like the first year, there’d probably still be an Enduro, but why would the Boosters support an event no one seems to care about?

The sailors stand around on the beach and complain about the future of the sport, and do NOTHING to ensure it. Captain Kirk’s Windsurfing donated excellent prizes every year, a board one year, which must have cost him $700. or so, do you think the windsurfing community appreciated that and bought from his shop? No. Greg Ecker of Xstreamline Sports told me he used to support the Enduro, but not one racer came in to buy anything from him, they all had deals with manufacturers, so he stopped.

“Why should I buy from the shop when I can save $5. by buying online?” is one thing I hear a lot. It’s been said many times by windsurfing industry insiders that the future of windsurfing lies in keeping racing alive, and by supporting the shops.

Say goodbye.

swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It’s been said many times by windsurfing industry insiders that the future of windsurfing lies in keeping racing alive, and by supporting the shops."

I would agree with the latter, but not with the former. I've windsurfed for nearly 28 years, and I've never participated in a race or competition. While I'm not against the idea of contests and competitive racing, it's just not my style. Obviously, there are many folks like me that have a lot of stoke and interest in the sport, but only a rarefied few that want to formally compete. That's reality, and when you really get down to it, its always been that way. If you had to compete to be a windsurfer, windsurfing would have died years ago. Surely, my kind of opinion isn't what you wanted to hear, but it's true nonetheless.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been windsurfing since 1985. I have purchased all of my gear from shops and never attended or participated in a race. I have absolutely no interest in racing, nor do the vast majority of the people I sail with in the Gorge and La Ventana If racing is the future of windsurfing, it will die.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Open up that wallet or pocketbook! Reply with quote

I have raced and enjoyed it, but 99.9% of my windsurfing has been just for fun. And what fun it is!

I know we all like to save a buck, but if you are into this sport it is a significant part of your life. Open up your wallets and pocketbooks at your nearest windsurfing store, if you still have one. Order through them. They can drop ship items to your home. Let them make a buck!

We need these guys and gals who provide these shops. We need this industry. Give back to something that has given so much to you. Buy yourself a present. You desrve it. And so do they!
VinceSF

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Future of Windsurfing Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
It’s been said many times by windsurfing industry insiders that the future of windsurfing lies in keeping racing alive, and by supporting the shops.

No and No. Sadly so, but the future of the sport is growing the base.
I don't care what gear Antoine Albeau or any other pro is riding. The gear is good, there is no bad gear, just some not well adapted to you so race does not impact my choice in gear. the proximity of gear also does not impact my choice since I have a multitude of options (thank you INternet) that a shop would not be able to carry. And to prove it: there are more brands than ever in a shrinking market.
So to recap:
Brands are making a bit of money, not much
Shops are only making money on soft goods and SUP
You are not making much more money and the increase in gear prices have definitely not followed inflation.
So, something has got to give:
- first: the race and shop support. the AWT is brand sponsored. we're witnessing it as I type this sad post.
- second: the shops themselves: we've seen a slow declined but it seems to have bottomed out.
- third: the weakest brands.

Who do I want to support, the brands or the shops? the shops for sure!
but I won't, because unless they carry the exact piece of equipment i need, I will shop around as much as I can.

sad. but true.
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I don't race, either! (well, twice)

But I've put in many many hours (hundreds?) organizing and promoting racing as a way to keep windsurfing in the limelight, and to attract youth. Nearly every sport has youth programs; Little League, Pop Warner football, AYSO soccer, and windsurfing should be no different. Windsurfing is difficult to learn, and doing it in a group as part of a racing program is probably the best way to build the base.

Meanwhile, do something to support the sport of windsurfing! Teach a friend, they'll teach their kids! Donate gear! Join an organization, such as US Windsurfing, or RVWA! Help organize a race! C'mon, won't kill ya!

rigitrite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youwindsurf wrote:
I have been windsurfing since 1985. I have purchased all of my gear from shops and never attended or participated in a race. I have absolutely no interest in racing, nor do the vast majority of the people I sail with in the Gorge and La Ventana If racing is the future of windsurfing, it will die.

This ^^^

BTW, skateboarding seems to be cruising along just fine, and those guys despise any form of competition or organized....anything. Windsurfing is kinda the same, but more 'spensive.

loopless

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not be too upset about the Enduro. All these events ebb and flow with the enthusiasm of the people involved. Having organised smaller events along the same lines, one always seems to get a big turn-up at first, then the novelty wears off.
And So-Cal is probably the worst area to organize any event for any sport as people are rightly renowned for being flakes who can't commit to anything in case something better comes along.

Although.. you can get 5000 people to run around in a circle getting sprayed with food coloring ( aka color run)....so go figure!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's less expensive, and less time consuming to learn how to run.
There's the added plus of debasing yourself in a large group also
(versus by yourself on a windsurfer).

-Craig

andrewc wrote:
I Although.. you can get 5000 people to run around in a circle getting sprayed with food coloring ( aka color run)....so go figure!
buzzwordbrad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another great way to help and promote windsurfing is volunteer and teach lessons. for any of you in the bay area, cal sailing club is an amazing opportunity for people to try out windsurfing at incredibly low cost and in a safe protected setting with fantastic gear. for experienced windsurfers, it is as very fun place to hang out, meet other windsurfers, and give back to the community. windsurfing lessons are held every saturday and sunday at 10:30am. 124 university ave, berkeley.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: