myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy GT, you I did not mean to offend. I loathe pretty much everything about Murdoch, and I knew he was Australian. I thought his support of hacking phones of victims of crime in England, and bribery, was sufficient to establish him as a worm, and he was the largest player on the British newspaper scene. He has operated Fox news in America as an arm of the Republican Party--good lord he hired nearly all the Republican presidential candidates. While conservative talk radio has long been a phenomenon in America, it has never before operated ass an element of the party. Now we have MSNBC operating as what it sees itself as a liberal counterforce. It seems to me like this is a virus that is spreading.

Apart from the sheer evil of the Murdoch culture, American and English traditions of freedom of press and freedom of religion are very different, and come from different cultures and traditions. For many years someone in England has been able to buy a newspaper and know what political view they are getting, and be comforted to hear messages that conform to, rather than challenge, their beliefs. While newspapers in America have trended conservative or liberal, the systematic crafting of messages like on climate change that was pioneered by Fox is new in America, and you get people who watch only Fox news and then claim that they are getting the only unbiased news. Think about the amount of freedom of religion that exists in England, even with an offical sanctioned Anglican church. It was not always that way, and the level of tolerance in England now, is perhaps much greater than when the persecuted fled to form colonies of their own religion in America--where they cold be free to persecute those of different faiths. Different cultures and histories.

Of course, my post was about conservatives in America not absorbing the lessons of the last election--something mrgybe proved almost instantly.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Control the information and you control what people think.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
if guns are harder to get in urban areas, crimes of passion, using a firearm, may be reduced. Accidents may be reduced. These are the areas that I believe that gun control laws are most effective.

Chicago.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we were applying for our Oregon concealed carry permits yesterday, the rural OR sheriff's office told my wife and me two interesting but unsurprising facts:
1. The state is swamped with CC applications.
2. It's about time, because "everybody around here has been packing forever anyway".
mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago--surrounded by communities that allow gun sales. Next claim from the information-challenged world?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, Chicago murder rates are a result of gang activity. My theory is that reduced access to guns might reduce impulsive killings and accidents not, necessarily, murders by career criminals.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we had that crazy ex-cop cruising around the state killing people, I was thankful that we had the 2nd amendment.

I believe that in such matters that require maturity such as gun ownership, driving, parenthood, etcetera, kids should be educated. Schools already educate teens in driving, sex, and parenting. Why not guns? A one hour assembly twice a year on gun storage, safety, accident prevention etcetera. I'm sure cops and hunters would be happy to volunteer their time. Wouldn't cost a thing. No, I don't want bigger govt. Just smarter.

Balancing a checkbook would be helpful too. I'm sure B of A would put a video together for that one.. Laughing
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey isobars, why don't you fill us in about how much crime related gun violence in Washington state will be reduced by concealed gun possession.

The fact that you're still unnerved when "everybody around here has been packing forever anyway" is noteworthy. I have to think that the Tri-Counties community of Washington is a hellhole for violent activity.

Overall, I have to say that I feel mighty lucky living in California in relative safety.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chandler--I grew up in Richland, and I have been back. The tri-cities are sleepy little burgs, where they style themselves the "down-winders" after the release of radioactivity from Hanford in the 1950's. Sharon Tate was Miss Richland, and managed to find a more dangerous place to live. The economy depends on cleaning up the radioactivity put in various landfills during the development of nuclear technology.

The only significant new economic activity is the vineyards surrounding the tri-cities--they are managing to make very good red wine from grapes grown on what is called Red Mountain. Irony abounds. But as Steven Stills said, paranoia strikes deep. Into your heart it will creep. And most adults know that most behavior stems from fear. Let Iso be a lesson to us all.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
Control the information and you control what people think.

Precisely why cutting through media BS is so vital to the nation's future. We've seen it for decades: the media tells us what to think, then asks us via polls what we think, then claims our answers validate the BS they initially fed us.

And precisely why Obama's stated goal (State of the Union address) of "providing" (aka "mandating") government education of every child beginning at age 3 -- straight out of Marx's Communist Manifesto -- "Free education for all children in government schools" -- should scare the shit out of every free nation and person on the planet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 70 of 331

Jump to: