myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best carbon boom for wave sailing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loosescrew

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MauiSails booms are by far the best booms on the market and their adjustable out haul systems is dakine. Prydes are nice as well but just way too expensive. If you email the Mauisails loft direct, they may hook you up.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loosescrew wrote:
MauiSails booms are by far the best booms on the market

I sold mine in darn near mint condition in favor of better booms, as described in previous boom threads. To each his own, and don't take any unexplained strong (or expensive) claims at face value.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think you are going to get a clear cut choice for best boom as we all have our likes & dislikes along with our needs and compromises. Thickness, stiffness, weight, strength, adjustability & price are the categories that we all weigh in deciding which boom to get and one category is usually a trade off to the other.

As for boom heads the Streamline is a state of the art piece of work and technically probably the best head out there and you can have mine for free, just pay for shipping. Like the AK-47 the Mauisails head is simple, sturdy & reliable which is probably why it is the most popular boom head out there. Less moving parts equals less things to adjust or go wrong.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If $700 is important to the OP, please review the earlier threads.
jpf18

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Haven't had luck with booms for years except Maui Sails Reply with quote

For some reason my situation re: booms was a mostly frustrating one. Pryde (worn latch teeth, like everyone else), Chinook (head), bunch of Aerotech's (alu, breakage) and some more I can't remember the brands all went bust for one reason or another. Of what's still in the garage, I have two carbon HPLs (larger sizes) that both need their heads replaced. One's completely borked, the other is scary to take out. That one also keeps the latches popping out on the water, so they're wrapped in electrical tape to keep them tied down.

The only boom I've ever had that didn't frustrate the hell out of me and held up for longer than a couple of seasons is Maui Sails, of the carbon variety. I also like the smaller diameter and the grip material they use is quite comfortable.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Haven't had luck with booms for years except Maui Sails Reply with quote

jpf18 wrote:
For some reason my situation re: booms was a mostly frustrating one. Pryde (worn latch teeth, like everyone else), Chinook (head), bunch of Aerotech's (alu, breakage) and some more I can't remember the brands all went bust for one reason or another. Of what's still in the garage, I have two carbon HPLs (larger sizes) that both need their heads replaced. One's completely borked, the other is scary to take out. That one also keeps the latches popping out on the water, so they're wrapped in electrical tape to keep them tied down.

The only boom I've ever had that didn't frustrate the hell out of me and held up for longer than a couple of seasons is Maui Sails, of the carbon variety. I also like the smaller diameter and the grip material they use is quite comfortable.

You can put Maui Sails boom heads on those old HPL booms if everything else is in good working order

http://www.sunsetsailboards.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&category_id=24&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=169

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I sold my MS booms was the very balky head.

I tossed my HPLs because their heads kept breaking and HPL wouldn't warranty them. I have a spare HPL complete head assembly if anyone wants it.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The reason I sold my MS booms was the very balky head."

As I recollect, you couldn't figure out how to attach or remove the boom with any degree of finesse.
rwilde

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STREAMLINED CARBON BOOMS! Super stiff, light and narrow grip. My last two lasted 7 years. Dominy rules.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in the Gorge we see a lot of Chinook products of course. Customer service is outstanding. Not only will they regrip for a little over $100, for an extra $50-60 they will replace the head at the same time. At least that is what I was told over the phone a month ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: