myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tubamancha!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esteban

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrary to what one might think, Tuba actually works best on more of a west swell than a S swell, I have had it good there when it is up to around 300 degree swell direction which seems strange looking at how it is situated. Must be a lot of wrap coming around Pt Reyes.
Anyhoo end of this week looks good for swell and wind at Tuba- unfortunately my sails are still down in Baja, Sad
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always felt that Tuba is probably the best DTL spot outside of PSC. The pinch upwind isn't bad, done it alone many, many times.

The man in the grey suit is a constant, had a seal scare the shit out of me flying out of a wave I was on, don't think he was getting a little exercise.

Have surfed and sailed the spot near Bolinas, prefer we keep it unknown as is! Heavy break when big and believe only good to sail on high tide, no easy access but great unless you hit a rock.

Stinson is a great spot for equipment makers, you'll bust a lot of gear. Surfed it with incredible conditions and off the chart, twice n 10 years, the other 200 times were lousy, thumping beach break. Also they will ticket you for sailing at Stinson in late spring and summer. A few years ago a local group agreed to allow the park service to disallow sailing, stupid move for those that wish.

FYI - Seen whitey at Stinson, Bolinas numerous times and Tuba as well, all super sharkey. Last Bolinas attack seen 3 weeks ago, same spot, took a seal.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about crowds nowadaze anywhere. Windsurfing, and especially surfsailing, has gone down about 2/3rds from the early '90's.
A contractor at our house, one of the locals at Palo, threatens to make the drive/hike/rappel down a few more times. He's logged well over 100 days there, so should you see a 6'1" 220lbs white guy in a red pickup, say hi to Greg. This guy has surfed 12' OceanBeach SF, successfully.
I'm out. Turned 63 this year, the walk up after 2 hours of surfsailing is more daunting than a 50 mile bike ride.
tomg

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: issues with NPS and beach closure? Reply with quote

I want to check out this venue but recalled hearing about problems last year with some kiters being chased off the beach by park rangers. I found the following on the Pt Reyes website:

"""
Non-motorized vessels may be used on freshwater lakes within the Seashore. They are also permitted at Abbott's Lagoon, Limantour Estero and Drakes Esteros, except that Limantour and Drake's Esteros are closed to all boat traffic from March 1 through June 30 each year to protect breeding wildlife. """
pacspeed

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, its only kites that are banned from PRNS. According to a Coastie I was surfing Limantour with last fall, they had to rescue a guy two years ago, the kite tangled up in the props, and it was a big ordeal. So...since Pt Reyes is federal, it was a quick call from the station commander to the park service and kites were finished at Tuba/Drakes/Limantour.
tomg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Sailing at Limantour Reply with quote

Thinking about going up to Pt Reyes this spring. I found this on the "Superintendent's Compendium" or some such thing. What appears to be the way they pile more rules on the park. But no mention of "windsurfing" so I guess it's just kiters that are SOL?

Kite-boarding:
Kite-boarding is not allowed off Limantour Beach, Drakes Beach, and the Great Beach due to snowy
plover habitat.
This closure is necessary as kite-boarding interferes with wildlife behavior.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be interesting to kitesurf S Abbot's lagoon, as it's long and wide, with the normal NW wind going over the sandunes in the perfect direction.
Now I"m no kiter, but I can't imagine dragging windsurf gear all that way to sail in flat water when so many wave or swell spots are right there.
On another note, there is no overabundance of windsurfers to sail PaloMarin. The 600 yard hike DOWN the cliff is enough to stop most mortals, and the hike back up is much more daunting. And it's NOT best at high tide. Medium is the best by far, low totally fine at the N point, and high pretty worthless for any kind of wave riding.
I think I"ve logged over 50 days there. Been checking it out a little since KirfbyFerris first sailed there back around '85.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to do a downwinder from Drakes beach Cafe, and then another downwinder to Limantour after sailing Tuba? Never been there.....just saw it on the map and video. Obviously would have to have 2 cars.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floaty 105 board and a 5 meter sail, it's doable.
I've windsurfed Drakes itself twice, and kiteboarded it once, staying at the mouth, tacking and snap jibing to stay upwind in that little opening.
You might get overpowered on your way to Limantour, as winds are straight offshore at Tuba, then get stronger as you go S.
Wind at Drakes is fluky and light, compared to the rest of the trip. Going from DrakesBay to Tuba is a very tough upwind angle to the normal NW wind direction, so you might bypass it and go directly to between Lim and Tuba.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are horses allowed on the beach? I hear there are restrictions on wheeled anything in the area. Was thinking a out skatesailing on the hard pack sand
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: