myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Aruba vs Cabarete (March)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
berrazuriz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Aruba vs Cabarete (March) Reply with quote

Hello all

I am planing a one-week trip on the beginning of March to either Aruba or Cabarete. Does anybody know which place is more windy during that time of the year?

Also, I am going with my wife to the trip. Which of the two places is more spouse-friendly? In particular, which has a beach that is less exposed to the wind?

Thanks in advance.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know anything about Aruba.
This is for Cab only.

Cab in March 2012: http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?location_id=86981&archiveMonth=3&archiveYear=2012&archiveSearch=Go&Isection=Wind+Archive&regionID=1290

March 2011: http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?location_id=86981&archiveMonth=3&archiveYear=2011&archiveSearch=Go&Isection=Wind+Archive&regionID=1290

It looks like strong chance of 4.7-5.5 range. Nice wave riding.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the beach in front of the Ritz in Aruba should be pretty windless.
http://www.windsport.com/radar_toms_blog
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dennis_c wrote:
Sounds like the beach in front of the Ritz in Aruba should be pretty windless.
http://www.windsport.com/radar_toms_blog

Being to each place twice in the beginning of April I would vote for Cabarete.

Andrei.

Last edited by Ugly_Bird on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
zeppy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I (non-windsurfer) went to Aruba a few years okay. We had a nice time, but I don't think we'll go back because (1) the area along the beach is very developed (not really our thing), (2) it felt like we never left the U.S., and (3) it's all flatwater sailing. On the positive side, the Vela center there is well staffed and well equipped and is a short walk from the Marriott (which is great if you are with a non-sailing spouse). My wife even took a windsurfing lesson and really enjoyed it because of the warm, shallow waters. I understand that Vela is in the process of moving a bit further up the beach because the Ritz built a hotel right in front of their location that creates big wind shadow. I think Bonaire is a better alternative although I've never been there.

I've never been to Caberete, but it's on my list because it offers some wave sailing and bump and jump conditions. My wife heard some second-hand stories about security issues / spring break like atmosphere near Caberete, which has made it a harder sell. I'd love to hear other people's experiences with Caberete, both with sailing and on-shore atmosphere so I can convince my wife to give it a go, maybe even this winter!

We've also been to Barbados, which offers great wave sailing, when the wind blows and the swell cooperates. The surfing can also be great (I actually surfed more than I sailed when we were there). We loved the island and I'm sure we'll go back there again. It has great beaches and you can rent a car and explore the island without any worries. You might want to check it out if you're a good sailor and enjoy wave sailing!

Good luck.
scargo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to the DR probably 10 times, most of the time in the winter, and I love it. (I won't go into great detail here, you should so a search for Cabarete and you'll find some useful information.)
No place is skunk-proof, but I've been very fortunate with the wind there. Even on light-wind days, I'll just throw a small sail on an SUP and play around on the reef. Winter conditions can be more challenging because of the shore break, but if you carry your stuff slightly upwind from the Vela locations, it's much more friendly.
Speaking of Vela, you'll have to check with them, but I think they still throw in an extra SUP with your individual rental, so that you and your wife can go paddling in the morning. That's what I've done with my wife the last couple of years, and what we'll be doing again starting next Thursday for a week and a half.
Re lodging/food etc, you'll have no trouble impressing your wife. Cabarete isn't built up like Aruba--which is one of the things I love about it--but there is still serious lodging and dining to be had. I've stayed at the Velero Beach Resort--a four-star hotel--a couple of times, and they have a great pool area, a great view, a nice cabana for enjoying your morning coffee, but at the same time it's small and intimate so it doesn't have the "all inclusive" feel (which it isn't). Plus, it's very close to Vela.
Great food to be had in town, and in most of the restaurants, you eat right on the beach in the setting sun. For truly exquisite dining, try the Sea Horse Ranch, just a short cab ride away.
Plus, there's all kinds of things you can do when the wind isn't blowing, including surfing Encuentro (a semi-famous break), horsebackriding through the beautiful backcountry (where they filmed Jurassic Park), mountain biking, waterfall climbing, an organic coffee tour, etc etc etc. In fact, I know several people who go every year, and aren't even windsurfers.
Oh, and the sailing is awesome. I'm not much of a wave sailor (yet), but in Cabarate I advance on that front every year. The water is fairly flat on the inside, and it's generally not hard to get out through the break, especially since there are ways to cheat on the way out, then drop down to sail in. The waves can be big, but they tend to be fairly friendly, mostly crumbling instead of closing out on top. And it you get caught in the washing machine, you'll eventually get pushed downwind inside the bay, not washed out to sea.
Anyway, you should poke around & do some research. As you can tell, I've been stoked about it for a long, long time.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I suggest Bonaire instead of Aruba? I've been to Aruba a dozen times or so, and the last few trips it was hard to enjoy oneself off the water. It is heavily overbuilt. Bonaire (which I've been to half a dozen times, and am returning soon) has better flatwater sailing, the onshore winds make getting in and out much easier, and if your wife was ever going to try windsurfing, this is the place (thigh deep crystal clear water.) Meanwhile the restaurants are excellent in town. No crowds...not a traffic light on the island (I believe).
leto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To take best from the worst, I would go to Cabarette. Aruba is pretty boring, flat, offshore winds. Winds can be light at times and pain to get back + sun is scorching so you get the picture. Your wife can take a bus to Oranjestad but the town is so polluted with car fumes, it's hard to breeze.
Cabarette is more interesting. I've been to both will never go back. Bonaire - good wind, very flat, absolutely nothing to do for your wife unless she is into freediving/scuba.
motogon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how Cabarete can be more attractive for wife then Aruba or Bonaire. My wife actually like Bonaire more then other places - she could snorkel there for hours, and she never snorkeled before.
damel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabarete is way cheaper than Aruba trust me you can spend half the money in Cabarete that you would in Aruba. That being said Cabaerete is not nearly as built up as Aruba and I would recommend staying at Velero Beach Restort or El Magnifico apartments. Velero is more expensive than the other places but it is worth it. You get a complementary breakfast and it is the only spot that is really clean and has good services. If you go to Cabarete also be sure to check out Otra Cosa Restaurant between Velero and El Magnifico. It is an amazing restaurant with good food an ambiance by the water started by an adorable French couple. The main strip of bars and restaurants I would recommend avoiding the food is not good and the mardis gras like atmosphere gets old fast. Instead stick to everything east and west of that area or the Vela beach resort has amazing local food and smoothies.

Bonaire is also a good choice if you like flat water Caberete has a little bit of everything and you can always SUP out to the reefs and find something to have fun with.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: