myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ICE machine is back ON!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weekend outlook for ICE is very good, central NH is the mother load of clear sailable safe stuff.
There will be a bunch of iceboards on Lake Massabesic in Manchester NH, the rest of the gang at Lake Sunapee, SooNipi park, NE side, where there is a Kitewing demo as well.

There is NO safe sailable ice south of NH border, that last big thaw was a nukelear blast that wiped everything out in 2 days! Shocked

Sail safe!
speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windydoug wrote:
Complete authentic Freeskate package available on E Bay for the next day or so. These NEVER come up for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Freeskate-Iceboard-Windsurfer-Complete-Setup-Longboard-Ice-Boat-/190790272531?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6bfc8613

Good luck!
I wonder what you people think of this rig. >>3 Sails (never used) 2.6m sail Windsurfing Hawaii. 3.5m sail North Sail. 4.6m sail Sailworks (battens included).<< Thank God the battens are included. Those are rather interesting sails. Windsurfing Hawaii went out of the sailmaking business a long time ago.
motogon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of that stuff is antique. Do we ever have good reliable ice to justify keeping this pile of ... equipment. Wink
speedysailor wrote:
I wonder what you people think of this rig. >>3 Sails (never used) 2.6m sail Windsurfing Hawaii. 3.5m sail North Sail. 4.6m sail Sailworks (battens included).<< Thank God the battens are included. Those are rather interesting sails. Windsurfing Hawaii went out of the sailmaking business a long time ago.

iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starik333 wrote:
All of that stuff is antique. Do we ever have good reliable ice to justify keeping this pile of ... equipment. Wink

Yea, the ice last weekend just sucked...... Laughing

But the funny thing about this sale to me is the unauthorized use of my picture of 2 guys sailing my JBDesign custom 3.4 Ice speed sails...the fastest in the world.... Those of course would never be sold.

But if he sellsthe package, then it will cost him 1$ for photo copyrights! Rolling Eyes
Thats a seriously old freeskate 1st generation, a collectors piece, but not a performer. The 18" rear truck however is a limited availability Fiberspar last generation , bombproof design and very high performance. Probably the most valuable piece in the lot.

Here is the old video from where that clip came!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY2E5cF_BEI

TEAM THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!

Having a great day planned for Saturday Ground Hog Day! Laughing
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderbirds are a go. That was the way a vid should be composed!!! It dragged slightly in the end, but not enough to make me want twitch the mouse. It doesn't merit a drive to N.J. for me. A Windsurfing Hawaii sail that small and in a bag for so long (never used) certainly would merit an inspection. I wonder if the mylar would flake off immediately. I'ld love to do some skating on a lake this weekend, but doubt if there will be any wind.
windydoug

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was an old set up to be sure....if you are chasing speed records. The Sailor I learned from uses a 4.7 Gaastra Wavefoil sail that Rhonda Smith-Sanchez used to use (that means it is old!) and an Ampro Grey mast. He goes as fast as I do using a mid 90's Naish Nalu fully battened. His board is a flexing piece of one inch plywood. A real freeskate it is not, but a real good time it is.

What I mean is, Freeskate/Ice windsurfing can be a heck of a lot of fun without blazing speeds. Due to lack of resistance you can go way faster than the wind (and way faster than you feel safe....which is way slower than Iceratz), all you need is a bed sheet to get you going. More epoxy and less carbon is going to last a lot longer on ice.

I can't duck jibe on water (though I am close) or do a sail around 360, or a handful of other sail tricks on water, but they are loads of fun on ice. I learned the timing of a regular jibe very easily on ice.

Much respect to Iceratz and the whole new england crew, they are blazing new frontiers and putting out awesome vids while doing so. Those are highly tuned machines that they are riding, but like real windsurfing I think there are a couple disciplines of ice windsurfing.

As long as everything was in working order I think that whoever won the E Bay listing got a great set up for playing around on.
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on Windydoug!
This past weekend on Lake Massabesic we saw lots of classic Freeskates and homemade contraptions. You really don't need all the high tech stuff like the few of us have. Its easy to get going on just about the simplest of boards and skateboard trucks, old sails, and you'll be duck jibing with the rest!

I have always appeciated this sports inventiveness and creativity, both in its simplest and complicated design aspects.

BTW, the real secret to any speed or performance on ice is in the blades.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep..old gear still works fine, the old freeskate is still fast enough to scare the crap out of me.
and, when this happens... it doesnt hurt so bad. Smile
anyone got an old(cheap) 3.2/3.7 they need to get rid of?

and a pic of the conditions weve had here for the last week or so..
but, soon to be covered in 6-10'' of snow. Confused

P1000630.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.37 KB
 Viewed:  12685 Time(s)

P1000630.JPG

shattered.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  159.68 KB
 Viewed:  12685 Time(s)

shattered.jpg

iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w8n4wind wrote:
yep..old gear still works fine, the old freeskate is still fast enough to scare the crap out of me.
and, when this happens... it doesnt hurt so bad. Smile
anyone got an old(cheap) 3.2/3.7 they need to get rid of?

and a pic of the conditions weve had here for the last week or so..
but, soon to be covered in 6-10'' of snow. Confused

yep, black ice everywhere north, but we all loose it this weekend to the big dump. Glad to see you've been having a go at it.

That's one of the best Freeskate editions, made by Fiberspar, built to last, excellent rear truck. Bummer about those PVC windows, the cold always destroys them. Monofilm is the way to go.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. PVC is destroyed by the cold. The auction ended without a sale as the guys reserve was not met. Local pick-up in N.J. makes it a much harder sale. The snow won't put an end to winter kiting on the lakes. I've never tried it but Phil Mann told me it was easy with any kind of skis or board, probably depending on the wind. With the February vacation periods coming up, it would be a great alternative to downhill resorts which will be crowded and expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: