myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Old Chinook 1 bolt base with rubber u joint question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spennie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all the B.S.:
Doesn't matter what these guys say or even what Loctite says, you can break that bond with good old brute force. You need a 15mm deep socket and a decent vise, although a pipe wrench might suffice if you have a friend to help hold stuff. I have a good vise, so I put the hourglass in the vise so the metal insert is in the jaws, and crank the hell out of it, then use the 15mm deep socket.

You DO have to use red Loctite (#271) for re-assembly, because you DO NOT want that sucker coming apart when you're 3/4 of a mile out to sea, or anywhere for that matter. Clean the threads with a wire brush before re-application, getting as much of the old Loctite off as you can, then liberally apply it to the male side and crank it together with the new hourglass. Try not to chew up the new hourglass during re-assembly, might be a good time to try the aforementioned strap wrench, which you can use later to twist apart stuck masts. Let the Loctite set for a day before use.

As for replacing it instead: That's just a foolish waste of money. Inspect all the parts for severe wear, and if they look OK do the hourglass replacement and save yourself $40..

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
As for replacing it instead:
That's just a foolish waste of money.
Inspect all the parts for severe wear ....

What else am I going to spend it on? I used to swap hourglasses, but the last few I tried were such a hassle I quit. Better factory assembly? Lazy? Lower tolerance for frustrations?

I've had several name brand hourglasses explode on their first day. If my daily uni exam sees even a scratch, it goes in the dumpster. Even if the safety straps prevent a swim, the resulting deck damage tops the $40. Like everything else, it's a choice.

Try disassembly, Darbonne. If it goes well, you're home free, as reassembly is simple. If it fails , no harm done and you got a free workout. However, I'd have a hard time trusting a glued plastic component I had heated to 500 degrees; I'd stick to brute force, strap wrench, vise, pipe wrench, long wrench handle, etc. on this one.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always used blue loctite, clean threads, a little dab on both nut and bolt.
Never had one come apart, in well over 30.
spennie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISO: What else are you going to spend it on? Send your "excess" cash to

Spennie the Wind Junkie
1234 Snapmast Ave.
Brokeville, CA 91320

Thanks in advance!

keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used Spennies method with blue locative since 1980 in the store with a lifetime of successs.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:

Spennie the Wind Junkie
1234 Snapmast Ave.
Brokeville, CA 91320

Thanks in advance!

Will do. Next time I update my will I'll add $40 for you ... as long as you swim my gear in if I ever break another uni. Wink

Actually I suspect I'll follow my own advice next time I find a flaw in an hourglass and try to disassemble it first. Now, when was the last time I had one break ... 1995? 1998? I don't remember one this century.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it depends on what your time is worth. This type thing takes
about 30 minutes of my time. I'm not saying I don't have 30 minutes
to spare/waste. but it's worth the $40 to me not to do it. At work,
my time charges out at greater than $200/hr, so it's a good thing
I'm not replacing bogies at some WIndsurf shop for a living.

-Craig

spennie wrote:

Spennie the Wind Junkie
1234 Snapmast Ave.
Brokeville, CA 91320

Thanks in advance!
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, one can always avoid the pain and difficulty of removing and installing hourglasses by switching over to universals with tendons. I did it many many years ago.

Ever look down at a hourglass type universal while sailing? It's an eyeopener for sure. Tendon type universals do cost a bit more, but you get a superior product that is far more serviceable.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. Project is on hold till I get better tools. I have the bottom nut partially off. I am curious as much as anything as to how it works and how it comes apart. Probably work on it this weekend. If I am successful it will be a backup base as I have a new one but it has the track bolt off-center and I don't like it as much. I also just purchased a complete Kona with 9.0 rig so my friends will probably be using my old Start and base.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off center.....
I was sailing Kailua a couple dozen years ago, perfectly powered in a crowd of slalom sailors. It was crowded in the late '80's.
TomStone, Josh and Jason's dad, waved me down from a coral head, so I stopped to see what's up. He asked me what kind of board I had, what fin, where I sailed.
He also said while I creeped by him, he noticed my univeral was out almost to the rails of my board. I just laughed, as they've gotten that bad on me during some SantaCruz slalom series races, AND IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE!
Offset makes no difference whatsoever, except in your head.
The sail is cut more offcenter. Your harness lines are never even. You have left and right sides that work better than the other.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: