myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bizarre Stuff
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
All I wanted to do was point out some perceived differences between today and the 50's just for the entertainment value. Then, all the lefties go off the deep end get bent out of shape politically for no good reason.

Techno, Some of us here are smart enough to know that your post was intended to amuse, not to make a political statement. Others just enjoy being angry. Nothing you can say will change that.

"For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Techno, Some of us here are smart enough to know that your post was intended to amuse, not to make a political statement.

Nahhhh...... His post was half joking, whole serious.

But because there are no citations for his so-called "facts," it had to be made to look like humor. His "facts" are journalistic hyperbole.

At least my fact was factual and based on reality. Dick Cheney did actually shoot his hunting partner in the face, and he never looked back.

Good ol' "deficits don't matter" Dick ------ a caring human being.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
If I had a choice, I would rather keep my birth date than trade it for today.

Again ... absolutely. I'll spare you the dozens of other lesser but very specific past reasons, but mine include the hope that I can avoid nuclear war in the mideast (or broader), truly large scale WMD or cyber/electronic attacks on the U.S., and any Mother of All Depressions that many bona fide experts believe may or will occur "soon" (one very senior financial analyst predicts an imminent financial "apocalypse", and the head of Charles Schwab calls the financial outlook "deep doo doo). I might escape those, but, sadly, my wife is less likely to do so. Fortunately, we don't have any descendants facing that plus a guaranteed birthright to scores of thousands of dollars of debt.

I have enjoyed decades of freedoms WAY out on the fringes of the bell curve even decades ago and virtually unattainable by anyone today. The only downside I can think of is not having had TV until in my teens.

THANK GOD. That shaped my love of the sports that have dominated my life.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Techno, Some of us here are smart enough to know that your post was intended to amuse, not to make a political statement."

mrgybe, do you actually believe that? I find it hard to accept if you do, because I thought that you were smarter than that. Any amusement that was intended was designed for those on the right wing that have a ton of disdain for our government. It was so patently obvious to me, so I'm quite surprised that you didn't recognize it. That kind of oblique humor reminds me of the jokes that my dad told the family at the dinner table about black folks. To be amused, you had to share his hateful view of blacks. By the way, he spent many of his summers in Alabama with relatives while growing up.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't possibly write material this ironic--or funny:

Quote:
Techno, Some of us here are smart enough to know that your post was intended to amuse, not to make a political statement. Others just enjoy being angry. Nothing you can say will change that.

"For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

So Bard goes ballistic about the poor fetuses--but its the liberals who Techno made fun of that are angry and lose happiness? Right.

So let me turn to one of the subjects that I cited, for a very specific reason--polio. Polio was eradicated in this country--because of a government mandated program that required vaccination of children. We gave up some amount of freedom for a public benefit that eliminated a terrible scourge. Now we see that religious conservatives in Pakistan are fighting against vaccination for polio, and the disease is making a comeback. Part of the social damage that religion-crazed conservatives are doing in that part of the world--along with shooting little girls and burning down schools. Here the conservatives just dumb down the curriculum.

If you are incapable about getting angry about injustices, and then doing something about them, or if you were completely unaware that they were occurring back in those halcyon days that you want to take us back to, then you are an American neo-conservative who listens only to Faux news.

Stay happy my ill-informed colleagues. You do make me laugh. Probably not in the ways you intended.
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is basic to old fashioned conservatives that things don't have to suck as bad as they do these days.
There were in fact good things about the old days but you guys prefer to remember polio?
In my old high school we didn't need metal detectors. Now they find weapons every day despite the kids knowing they will pass through one.
Massacres in grade schools? One out of two hundred Americans has been in jail in this modern paradise. We have been wishing for a better time through ten different Presidents so don't think this only anti Obama wishful thinking.
It is longing for a better world wishful thinking.
Techno is one of those guys who helped out the helpless his whole life but those who are thin skinned about Obama turned fifty years of ranting against changes that don't make life better into a personal attack on the guy who happens to be sitting in the chair.
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:

Techno is one of those guys who helped out the helpless his whole life but those who are thin skinned about Obama turned fifty years of ranting against changes that don't make life better into a personal attack on the guy who happens to be sitting in the chair.
Content aside, that's one hell of a sentence.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of taking a shot at Obama, check this out: Even Ithought it was funny.

www.prisonplanet.com/company-takes -a-shot-at-obama-with-skeeter-doll.html
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason the link won't work, you'll have to type it in
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From: http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/national/hello-kitty-bubble-gun-suspension-5-year-old-mount-carmel-area-elementary-school-girl-suspended

Quote:
A 5-year-old girl chats up classmates while waiting for the bus after school. The topic: Playing with a Hello Kitty "bubble gun" that, with the flick of a finger, blows bubbles everywhere.

"I'll shoot you, you shoot me, and we'll all play together," the kindergartner says.

The next day, that remark -- which was made innocently, according to the lawyer for the girl's family, who related the story -- landed the young central Pennsylvanian child in the principal's office.

Soon after, she was sent home after being issued a 10-day suspension for a "terroristic threat," as indicated on the suspension form signed by Mount Carmel Area Elementary School Principal Susan Nestico. That and other documents were provided to CNN by Robin Ficker, the lawyer representing the girl and her mother.

If anyone thinks this is an appropriate response to the most benign event ever, you have to be nuts. Reflecting back to my original post, comparing the 50's to today, it's a perfect example of how political correctness has gone off the deep end.

I heard on the news today where a 10 year old boy brought a plastic toy gun to school. School's response = call the police and arrest the kid. Is there no common sense today?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/06/virginia-boy-10-arrested-after-toy-gun-found-in-backpack-at-school/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 23 of 37

Jump to: